Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Question Newbie with Pendleton dilemma...

Hi! My husband and I have been looking at the forums and different postings regarding the Pendleton. We went to Holiday Travel Trailers here in Albuquerque. We have been there, before, looking at Flying Clouds. Today, they had a used Pendleton. We really liked it and the hatchback. My husband and I are waffling back and forth over the sticker price of $124, 900.

We have never been "RVing" before, and just cannot decide what to do. We did like the Flying Cloud, but this Pendleton just really got to us. We called our friends, who have RV'd for many years, to come and take a look. We had also looked at one parked next to it. I believe it was a 2006 30' Classic for $44,995. It had a bump out, needed cleaning, and had some repairs needed to the outside. We do not want to jump in over our heads, but also do not want to miss this opportunity...if it is one. The Pendleton is #38.

I hope I'm not out of line with this post here. I'll try and find the proper thread as soon as I can. We feel that the Pendleton, if not sold this afternoon, will probably be gone very soon. But the price...

Any suggestions would be helpful. And, yes we could afford it. Help?
Suzee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Darn close to the original selling price. Dealer is very greedy. Offer $100,000 at the most.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Only you can know your financial situation.
When we saw our Eddie Bauer... we both knew it was the one. We could have save a T.O.N. of money buying a used unit, or even a different model new (as they were not discounting special editions hardly at all), but we knew if we were making an investment of any magnitude and we wanted to be happy, it needed to be the trailer that spoke to us.

You only live one!

The good news, used EBs are going for the same or more than we paid for our trailer 2 years ago. Our investment is still holding its value. I think you'll be in the same boat with the Pendleton.

Just my opinion of course.

D
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Darn close to the original selling price. Dealer is very greedy. Offer $100,000 at the most.
It's called supply and demand. How many other Pendleton's does the dealer have? Check the used Pendleton prices on the classifies here. Off the chain, but if you want one ... you'll pay up.

Same for Eddie Bauer Editions. The few that come up (even one with a Salvage title are pushing $80K.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Albuquerque , New Mexico
oh thank you, thank you for your replies. The dealers response to our question regarding price is that we would have to "talk to the seller". Our friends were trying to get us to be practical...bless there hearts, but we didn't like the feel of the 2006.

Would you say it was then, worth the investment? My husband is 67 and I'm 61.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Personally, I would take a deep breath and think about it, especially since you have not been "Rving" before. I would personally suggest researching some local campgrounds, finding one or two (or more) that you think you would like, and renting an RV and seeing how you like camping. Perhaps some friends that RV could go with you to help "teach you the ropes". If you do like it, then you will be in a better position to understand what you might want in an RV. You might even decide to get a motorhome instead. Who knows? But until you try it, I wouldn't take the leap. Plus IMHO a lot of the special edition Airstreams are rather over priced, but nice (I like the Pendleton edition also). Remember that you can always outfit a "normal" airstream with Pendleton: blankets, pillows, towels etc. etc. for a lot less than the special edition model. Or you will likely find other Pendleton's on the market in the future (even though they only built 100, I have seen several listed already). In any event, good luck!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thank you, soyboy. Our friends gave us the same advice, and are willing to help us with our learning curve, before purchasing. What really appeals to us is the "hatchback". We loved that. We're not into the name brand thing that much, but really liked that ability to open up. We haven't seen any models with that besides the EB and the new Tommy Bahama...which we did not like. Are there others?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Airstream came out with a new one this year, the Tommy Bahama model. Have you checked out the Airstream website? Might be a good place to start.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thank you. Yes we did. And there was a detailed video from the New Jersey place, too. Very thorough.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Newbie with Pendleton dilemma...

+1 on the advise about seeing how much other used Pendleton's are going for to ensure you are paying market price or cheaper.

My advise on an expensive Airstream trailer being your first..... take the plunge!!!!! If you can afford it and go for it.

Let me explain, the risk isn't as large as it may seem. Yes you are forking over a crap ton of money but you will retain a lot of that value. It's not like you could be making a $90,000 mistake. If the trailer doesn't work out after a season sell it and get most if not all your money back. For comparison if you purchased a $90K Airstream and sold it a year later for at worst $80k you would be taking a $10k hit. If you purchased a $30k trailer, you would most likely get $15k for it a year later and would have taken a $15k hit, now the Airstream doesn't seem as risky. Yes I know this is a simple example since I didn't include tax or anything but I think my point would still be valid.

We did this very same thing a couple of years back. And actually sold the trailer for more than we paid (we still lost a little after commission and taxes). Our scenario was that we loved the Airstreaam so much, we wanted a different floor plan.

Just do the research to ensure you pay the market rate or below.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
Personally, I would take a deep breath and think about it, especially since you have not been "Rving" before. I would personally suggest researching some local campgrounds, finding one or two (or more) that you think you would like, and renting an RV and seeing how you like camping. Perhaps some friends that RV could go with you to help "teach you the ropes". If you do like it, then you will be in a better position to understand what you might want in an RV. You might even decide to get a motorhome instead. Who knows? But until you try it, I wouldn't take the leap. Plus IMHO a lot of the special edition Airstreams are rather over priced, but nice (I like the Pendleton edition also). Remember that you can always outfit a "normal" airstream with Pendleton: blankets, pillows, towels etc. etc. for a lot less than the special edition model. Or you will likely find other Pendleton's on the market in the future (even though they only built 100, I have seen several listed already). In any event, good luck!
I agree with the above poster .

RVing costs add up quickly with tow vehicle and desired/needed accessories. And all modern-day RVs and vehicles depreciate. It's only a question of how quickly. So, trying the lifestyle first to make sure it really fits you is key, in my opinion, to not spending a whole bunch of money you'll never see again if you decide to sell. Renting is a great way to see what you think.

Meanwhile, there will always be another Pendleton or Eddie Bauer being sold. You might have to wait a few months but there will be one. More than one.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thank you, meeks. We would be traveling to Maine, Oregon, Arizona & a couple of other places...on a fairly regular basis.

The practically of knowing before you purchase is a given. We just really liked the Pendleton model.

My husband is now looking for places that would rent Airstreams. We've done quite a bit of research on the Flying Cloud twin. Again, the Pendleton had the feel of a cabin he liked & my grandparents old ranch.

I think we really need to pace ourselves.

Thank you, very much to switz, djarrett, soyboy, askfortycal and yourself, for responding so quickly. I appreciate all of the responses.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #13
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Consider a gently used 2-3 year old International 27FB or Eddie Bauer or FC. You'll save plenty, someone else will eat the depreciation, and you won't overpay so badly on your first Airstream. [emoji6]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Be careful, everyone is wanting some of your monies, or maybe all of it...when you sell you can take a huge loss, the dealers can charge more than an individual as he can get it financed for you, whereas some individuals can't get the financing...Airstreams do, and I mean do depreciate like everything else....check the classifieds here...good luck..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:21 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

As an Airstream Slide out owner I would recommend looking at the 2006 Classic with the slide.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Since we're spending your money here, I'd say we should go for it! [emoji3]

If it were me, I'd be thinking about how long I'll have it (or my desire/ability to pass it down) and mentally amortize the cost over that time. If that's 25 years and you pay asking price, that's $500/month. Then I'd factor in how much joy I'd get out of it, especially with that rear hatch and amazing design (I've been in one...stunning) and while there's no rational reason to do it, this is the Steve-math that makes my life fun and possible. [emoji3]

Your math and mileage may vary. Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Summit , New Jersey
When the Pendleton was launched it was immediately met with forum scorn. Typical was "I'd never pay that much for such an over priced EB." Then a funny thing happened. You couldn't get one! We own #87 and love it! I always liked the setup of the EB 27 and the hatch was the real reason. But it was too spartan and the folding seats came at a cost of lesser storage. The Pendleton doesn't have that issue. The color scheme is great. Several features are identical to what you'd find in a Classic. Will it hold its value on resale? Beats me but there sure aren't very many EBs on the market and when they are available they move quickly. No regrets at all from this first time AS owner.
cirrusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:27 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since the dealer will have to talk to the seller, the trailer is likely being consigned. If that is true, it means the dealer has a minimum amount to sell for, and can't go below that. Sometimes sellers can be negotiated with, other times, they can be pretty stubborn, as far as how much $$$ they are willing to accept.
As for there always being another Pendleton, there will be--for a while. There were 101 units built, including the prototype (#00 of 100), so, while not exactly rare, there isn't one hiding behind every bush.
I would also second (or third) the suggestion of at the very least borrowing or renting a travel trailer of some sort, and make sure you really like the actual experience, and not just the romance and excitement of camping. If you do borrow or rent another brand, though, bear in mind the trailer will not be what you would have, were it an actual Airstream.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Looking at RV TRADER there are currently 2 Eddie Bauers for sale, '15 and '16, both LISTED for $75k. This gets you the rear door you like.

With the realization that the "look" your husband likes is accomplished either through thin veneer or sticker paper, I don't know as I have not seen one in person, no matter what, it's all plywood construction with a "face" on it.

Being that you have not done this before, you could "try it out" for a much lower investment and if you find the lifestyle works for you, then for WAY less than $50k you could have someone reface the interior to the way you like it. If you don't, you can resell it still as an Eddie Bauer.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:38 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The Pendleton is a 27' trailer, and Cousin Eddie is available in both 25' and 27' flavors. As long as the Eddies are 27' models, there can be a comparison of apples to apples.