Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Oddities
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Hey, one of my favorite Airstream refurb threads on the forum started with the guy just wanting to fix the shower pan. It's a fun read: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/...lp-122767.html
Just finished reading that thread. You're right. What a great story, but it stopped! I want to know how it ended!
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I love that patch! Great job. Sometimes you just have to stop and do something different when there is such a large project going on. Thanks for sharing that
Old 09-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #123
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
Just finished reading that thread. You're right. What a great story, but it stopped! I want to know how it ended!
I had the same frustration then and now - no idea how it all turned out, though the story was a good one. (sigh)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #124
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinVT View Post
I think your patch is great. Very creative. Did you do it with a scribe and a straight edge?

Not sure where you plan to place the rivets. Unless it's on the tip of the points, I would be concerned they would catch a buffer wheel during polishing. Maybe that's a good reason to stick with a "patina" finish. - Mark
My plan is to put a rivet near the end of each point and file off the sharp tip.

This was an experiment. It will never be seen from street level and once we paint the roof it won’t be much visible from above. But I like it enough to keep practicing for the patches that will count.
Krek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Very cool detail to have it up there . . . more or less invisible!

Thanks for the update,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #126
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO

The door is giving me nothing but pain and frustration so we took a detour and popped the big patch on the roof. Whoever pointed out that the points could be problematic was correct. I also learned that I need to plan my rivets better, measure and mark the patch in advance instead of just eyeballing it.

That said, I think it turned out okay. The bride and I got into a rhythm pretty quickly and I believe the rivets are reasonably consistent.

The last photo is the amount of Velkum I left on the seam of the patch, is that a proper/reasonable amount?
Old 10-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #127
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Oh, and if it’s total garbage, feel free to tell me so.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:00 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krek View Post
. . .
The last photo is the amount of Velkum I left on the seam of the patch, is that a proper/reasonable amount?
Quote:
Oh, and if it’s total garbage, feel free to tell me so.
Personally, assuming this entire compass project is now water-tight, I would drop it like a hot potato, and get back to stuff that matters.

Winter's a'comin' . . .

Guy Clark -- stuff that works: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ks-185877.html

Happy trails,
Old 10-06-2020, 06:27 AM   #129
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
...and get back to stuff that matters.
I’m not sure how closing in a nine inch circular hole in the roof isn’t a priority with Winter coming?

The trash bag and gorilla tape wasn’t going to last till Spring.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:07 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Please re-read comment . . . if water-tight now . . . good job to replace the garbage bag!

Old 10-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #131
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO

My optometrist welded the broken door frame and I’m still trying to find a local source with a sheet metal brake to bend up the parts I need to reassemble the door (and new C channel).

So when this Dixie stove popped up on Marketplace for $100 only three hours away we made an impromptu road trip and snatched it up.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Great find, I have a similar model. Here's a source that can rebuild the burner valves and get a oven thermostat if needed.

http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/parts/gas.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen street side.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	380748

I removed the pilot assembly and plugged the manifold lead for the pilot. Didn't want to waste the gas. I use a lighter with a long lead. It won't fit in the tub to light the burner for the oven, so I just open the broiler and light it from there.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...4aAnqYEALw_wcB

Word of caution: I find the broiler drawer doesn't stay closed during travel and sometimes the oven door opens. I take a bungee cord from the top down to the bottom frame member to keep them closed.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #133
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Thanks for the info! The stove is tucked into storage since we have a lot of row to hoe before we need it but I thought I'd research the option of adding electronic ignition to the stovetop and possibly converting the oven to an electric heating element this winter.

We had the "open door" experience on the ride home, that's why the ratchet strap tail is situated to keep the door closed.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #134
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO

Progress is barely perceptible at this point. I purchased a used 48 inch sheet metal brake so I can make my own C channel and internal bracing for the entry door so hopefully we'll have a door again soon.

The patch we put on the roof is leaking through two of the original rivet holes. I used a bead of Tremco Vulkem around the perimeter of the patch and also dabbed some on each unused hole. Can I now dab some on the inside of the holes or do I need to remove the patch and start over?
Old 01-06-2021, 05:05 AM   #135
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
I had the same project last year. Added a patch and had some unused rivet holes. I just put a short buck rivet in the old holes to plug them, no leaks[emoji106]
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #136
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Spring has sprung and we're back to work on the bunkhouse.

Still struggling with rebuilding the door, looking for professional help within a few hours of St. Louis, MO.

Next on the list is building the generator compartment.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #137
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:

Evening #1 of demo... the good news is the exposed frame at the rear shows no signs of structural rust.
Weird, it has a stripper pole... a perk of working for the railroad?
Christinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #138
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
Great story. I was learning tons. Wish you had kept posting.
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #139
Southern Pacific RR ED175

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Nevada City , CA
Happy to see another Bunkhouse!

We have a Southern Pacific Railway Bunkhouse too, both 36"foot Yours is in great to start with in these picture in 2023.

Ours i: 36-MI-S111 861

Our ED 175

Yours: 36-MI-S113 is it really 1962 or also 861 built in August 1961?

Your ED 177

Drinking coffee, then off to dsDMV this morning get it verified . ally of..... decoder paperwork I printed off.im greatful for that info and all of the forum. you on this forum, sharing inn.

, I see some some talk about a 40 foot that no tank / lifted onto flat car but is only considered for stationary use by DMV. is that because of the length, no water tanks or because it wasn't built for moving

RV parks and trailer parks - even if you restore it cant be one tenth the age of our trailer

We're living in a trailer from the 60 and born in the 60, but we can't be old. Why does life get so complicated... Where's that " simple life" - Im a hard worker I enjoy putting my self total into to what eve I do. By SIMPLE LIFE- I don't mean easy street - there's a quiet satisfaction, your particular job and some peace and relaxation. I can see me, My old man and our kitten ; just the living, community where were all somewhat different but we we were really all just the same, and gave us a life so uncomplicated

This is pretty cool. When we were given the trailer from a friend it didnt show what it looked like back in the sixties, to this day we are updating it, changing things when we see a new ideas, change up seating or better storage in the kitchen.
Now I hope you are stuck with it and are enjoying your RR Bunkhouse.
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote