Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krek View Post
. . .
One more question... this opening (in the ceiling) has an LP line capped in it. Was it a gas light or something else?
A propane-fired hot air furnace blowing down maybe? If they had line voltage to the trailer [likely, given that it was a work location?], that would be the easiest way to heat a large space IMO. Is there a 110-volt alternating current fuse panel, and maybe labels for the circuits? In your OP 6th photo that looks like a duplex receptacle outlet on the curved wall.

Or an old combination air conditioner and heater of some sort? Were old air conditioners ever fired by propane, similar to the fridges?

BTW did you check out all the other SP mentions here in the link in Post #18? There might be some leads there.

Edit -- The Mini-split thread seems to hint at old systems using a ceiling grate:

[click on orange arrow in quote to go there]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
Oldtrucksrul has a really nice split setup. I don't know the details, but the compressor and fan are out on the tongue and the airflow inside comes out the "Airstream" grate up by the ceiling behind the fridge. It's incredibly quiet both inside and out.
The user truckasaurus in that thread seems to have an old SP trailer also, according to his signature.

Looking forward to more expert opinions about the ceiling grate and LP line.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #22
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
I have read all the SP threads.

It has a furnace so I doubt it’s a ceiling heater. Hopefully we’ll find a hint when we remove the interior.
Krek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. FYI just edited that earlier post, with a new possible lead.

Cheers,
Old 07-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Based upon a review of photos of other Mobile Industrial trailers, I believe your door hinges are original.

Have no idea what is going on at that ceiling vent with a capped LP line. I don't see the LP line in the photo. The LP line should be on the inside of the inner skin. If the line is between the inner and outer skins I would doubt it is an LP line as Airstream never ran LP lines between the skins. A gas leak in such a location could be catastrophic. Could the line instead be a pre-installed drain line for a potential rooftop air conditioner?
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
<<snip>>

We’re missing a number of these window cranks, do they have a name so I cane source more?
<<snip>>
Do a google search for >
"Barton Kramer mobile home jalousie window operator crank handle".
They offer many options, maybe an exact replacement.

http://bartonkramer.com/about-us/

examples>
http://bartonkramer.com//?s=crank&x=0&y=0
Old 07-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:

One more question... this opening (in the ceiling) has an LP line capped in it. Was it a gas light or something else?
You might find that is a water line in the vent, not an LP. I've seen a few old RVs that had an evaporative cooler on the roof.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #27
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Have no idea what is going on at that ceiling vent with a capped LP line. I don't see the LP line in the photo. The LP line should be on the inside of the inner skin. If the line is between the inner and outer skins I would doubt it is an LP line as Airstream never ran LP lines between the skins.

Appears to be two LP lines (not capped) and some 110v wiring and a piece of galvanized metal RTVed to the roof.

Or could one (or both) be water lines?
Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I'm guessing: smaller one is water supply, the other is overflow drain.
You're in luck! If that is a 14 x 14 opening, looks like you are all set for adding an air conditioner.

ps:
Look around where water pipes are exposed, under sinks/in storage areas/etc, for a 1/4" saddle valve that would control water going to an evaporative cooler. Water would be added to an evaporative cooler every day, so a valve to control flow would need to be convienently placed
Old 07-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good guesses Alan.

Any chance the 110/120-volt breaker [fuse?] panel is labeled for each circuit? Another possible clue. Have you energized that panel yet? Might be dangerous if any shorts are buried in the walls someplace.

You know about those hand-held testers that will let you know if the trailer's aluminum/metal parts have 120 current in them, right?

Old 07-24-2020, 02:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Appears to be two LP lines (not capped) and some 110v wiring and a piece of galvanized metal RTVed to the roof.

Or could one (or both) be water lines?
Just wondering if you have figured out the 110v wiring details?
Old 07-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #31
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Just wondering if you have figured out the 110v wiring details?
I have no intention of powering this hulk up. The more we dig into it the more we find that multiple hands have modified it over the years.

The plan is to remove the entire interior and inner skins, access the frame condition and then rebuild with entirely new wiring and plumbing systems.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Sounds good . . . thanks for the update.

Have fun!
Old 07-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
probably water, but...

Imagine my surprise when remodeling an owner-built house in a prepper community I found a capped propane line in a light fixture junction box in the ceiling. Owner/builder said he had one on each floor in case he needed to install propane light fixtures at some point. The lines were part of the distribution system that fed the stove, oven and clothes dryer.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
Wow, what a find. That is a really big trailer. Looking forward to following along. If you decide to polish, I'm busy that month. -Mark
Old 07-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #35
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinVT View Post
If you decide to polish, I'm busy that month. -Mark
I figure by the time we get to the polishing stage we’ll be numb and not even notice how much time/effort it takes.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
Imagine my surprise when remodeling an owner-built house in a prepper community I found a capped propane line in a light fixture junction box in the ceiling. Owner/builder said he had one on each floor in case he needed to install propane light fixtures at some point. The lines were part of the distribution system that fed the stove, oven and clothes dryer.
My house has fittings for gas lights also. They were installed in 1885.
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
I figure by the time we get to the polishing stage we’ll be numb and not even notice how much time/effort it takes.

Have you read The Love Shack thread yet?

Old 08-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #38
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO

Evening #1 of demo... the good news is the exposed frame at the rear shows no signs of structural rust.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #39
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Working on the Railroad... Bunkhouse

Eeek! But hey, it appears to have a dancing pole up front, could be a revenue opportunity. [emoji23]

Seriously though, best wishes on this project, will follow with interest. [emoji106]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #40
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Eeek! But hey, it appears to have a dancing pole up front, could be a revenue opportunity. [emoji23]
Dang it... I was going to make a comment about the "stripper pole" but forgot in my disappointment that the couple I hired to remove the interior expressly ignored my instructions about saving the shower pan and cut it up.

That "pole" is actually a PVC vent for the black tank.

So we've been absolutely crushed at work (which is awesome because March and April were beyond lackluster) so I decided to splurge and hire a local "handyman" couple to remove the interior and subfloor. I asked them to save as much of the structure as possible to use as templates and I really, really, really, REALLY wanted to save the fiberglass shower pan as it had a step up for the wheel well. They cut it in half with a sawzall so while I was discouraged, my bride properly pointed out that I can now build the larger shower that I originally intended.

She is slowly coming around to the realization that is going to be a bigger project than "new floor, paint and decorating" which is good, lol.