Old 04-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Whatever happens to custom commercial trailers

Many vintage Airstreams are still on the road 50+ years later doing what they were designed to do. Some vintage units are rotting away in a field, but some are professionally redone at great expense for company trade shows, promotional stores, tailgating platforms, etc.

I admit I'm curious about what happens to these custom trailers once the trade show is over, or the company goes out of business, or a new marketing department comes in, etc.

Do these rot away? Become playhouses for the CEO's kids? Some could be resold or repurposed, but some are so highly modified, I wonder if they just die.

Here are a few pics of some trade show trailers, anyone know about them or others?

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
skyguyscott

These are some very creative designs and first class build quality. I am curious about who did the work on these Airstreams.

I also would like to know where they are now.

Dan

TouringDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Timeless Travel Trailers did some of them. They have folks there who design and build these trailer, and not just Airstreams, but other classics from the 20th century.

Airstream itself will, on occasion, and for the right price produce shell-only trailers with custom windows or no windows and custom doors and ramps, etc. to be further modified by the end user or third-party contractor.

It's remarkable what can be done. Since Airstream is still producing new trailers every day (once the current pandemic is over, that is) it isn't so tragic that a few vintage ones are transformed into food trailers or show exhibits, but it would be a shame if all the time, effort and expense to fix these old girls up only to abandon them a few months or years later.

Also sobering to think that a company throwing down 250k or whatever it costs to make these show trailers is nothing in their larger overall marketing budget.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote