Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Oddities
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
mulino , Oregon
Southern Pacific crew trailer

I have a 1964 Mobile Industrial trailer built for the Southern Pacific Railroad by Airstream in the Santa Fe Springs plant. It is 32' with SP badging. I have two of the California registrations from the 60's which also ID it as an Airstream. I am going to restore this trailer and would like as much info about it; such as layout and fittings. I am also interested in the history of the trailer and its relationship to Airstream and the railroad. Thanks!!!!
unfettered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Pictures, please!!
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Almost every commercial Airstream was configured differently. It could have been a bunkhouse, office, kitchen, or combination of the three.
Photos of the trailer both inside and out would be a great help. Does it retain any of its original interior pieces?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Would be interested to see what it looks like. And welcome to the forums.
Cliff
Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
P
h
o
t
o
s
!!!!!!!
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
mulino , Oregon
Southern Pacific crew trailer photos

These are some photos when I took possession of the unit. It is now at my shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer renovation 006 left.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	199489

Name:	Trailer renovation 011 manufacturer's label.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	199490
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer renovation 004 right rear quarter.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	199491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer renovation 015 Front room looking back.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	199493  

Name:	Trailer renovation 020 Sink area.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	199494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer renovation 025 Back room front left corner.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	199495  

Name:	Trailer renovation 054 Southern Pacific Logo.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	199496  
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I love the SP logo! It looks like a kin, not Airstream. I wonder if SP would have any info on it in their archives? Contact someone like this: Southern Pacific Historical & Technical Society**||**Archives
you might just tap into a bunch of "foamers" who would be more than happy to help find out the history of your trailer. These guys are super organized and may be able to direct you too Western Railway Museum - Solano County - California

Very cool project.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Interesting. It doesn't LOOK like an Airstream, and unless it's just a real soft focus on the photo, it appears to have a one-piece end piece from the top to the bumper. However, I've seen a number of references to that address as a former location of a California Airstream factory.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
That looks really different than the other Airstreams made for railroad companies. What a nice find. Can't wait to see the restoration.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...oad-47602.html
Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Watch your clearence with that swamp coller up top, dose it have a vin # ?.
Is that adress the same as Air Streams old adress. Best of luck - Wolfe
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
mulino , Oregon
Thanks for the SP historical info! What is a KIN? I have seen photos of the 40' railroad unit in Portola CA. and this has many of the same interior finishes and was built at the same location. Why do you think SP would have had this different style. The address on the ID tag is the same as the old AS factory from those years and it appears AS was building it's larger units in that factory when this was built. The Calif. registration does call it an AS. Thanks for any info!!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
"Kin" is short for "vintage kin" and is a term used on AIRForums for other aluminum travel trailers that competed with Airstream back in the day. Some vintage kin makes are Avion, Silver Streak, Streamline, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Interesting. At first glance it dosent look like an airstream. But the windows are hehrs and the interior overhead bins look airstream . The address is the old factory and airstream was at this location then. I wonder if mobile industrial leased space? Airstream could have made it. But the end caps don't look like airstream at all. Can you show more close up of the end caps? Is the skin aluminum?

In the 70's airstream made trucks to supplement income. Could be they needed the $$.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
Interesting. At first glance it dosent look like an airstream. But the windows are hehrs and the interior overhead bins look airstream . The address is the old factory and airstream was at this location then. I wonder if mobile industrial leased space? Airstream could have made it. But the end caps don't look like airstream at all. Can you show more close up of the end caps? Is the skin aluminum?

In the 70's airstream made trucks to supplement income. Could be they needed the $$.
It's definitely an Airstream, made by what was later called their Commercial division.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
It sure looks like it has some Airstream lineage. The end caps look to be one peace and made of fiberglass?! The use of hehr windows, interior aluminum skin, and many other details I fine that there might be a connection to Airstream.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The differences are easy enough to understand. If the trailer was built under contract by Airstream's Commercial Division, then it would have been made to the customer's specifications, not to Airstream's. But Airstream still would have executed the customer's specifications their own way, hence the similarity to their recreational models.

It's like Boston Whaler building boats for the Government. They look an awful lot like recreational Boston Whalers, but they're built to Government specs, so there are also obvious differences as well as similarities.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
So why the different badging - " mobile industrial"? Was this airstreams brand or another company's ? Vin, I too thought the end caps looked fiberglass.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I consulted with Fred Coldwell on this. Based on the date of manufacture (shown on the serial plate as "6312" or December 1963), the address of the factory, and known history, we believe that this trailer was indeed manufactured by a division of Airstream.

In the Winter 2012 issue of Airstream Life we featured a 40-foot trailer built by Airstream for the Western Pacific railway and noted:

" ... the Southern Pacific Railroad also ordered several highly experimental 40’ Airstreams with fiberglass end caps. None of these units have re-entered the market place and their disposition is also unknown."

Although this is a 32 footer, this appear to be one of those trailers.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
I wrote to a friend of mine who at one time worked for the Southern Pacific. He knew about these units and wrote back:

Quote:
In the late 50s and early 60s the company tried to move a lot of its M of W folks out of the old passenger cars and box cars and into Airstreams. They went so far as to make water, power and waste disposal available at places along the right of way. They usually used the existing septic system left over from a disestablished station. This went on for about ten years or so then the suits must have done a study and found that paying per diem and renting motel rooms was even cheaper. The M of W trucks assigned were all set up to pull the trailers when going from one place to another.

I take a guess and wonder if the relatively rough crowd was a little much for the somewhat flimsy interior construction and fixtures in the trailers as well as forcing the line managers and foremen to assure cleanliness and so forth.

One can still find the old hookups abandoned in rural areas along the track. The mechanization of the gangs and the reduction in staff numbers also made the per diem plan more practical.

A system steel gang or a tie gang in the '50s had upwards of 150 folks. Now it is a little more than one guy per machine plus the foreman and a mechanic and maybe a couple of utility men and the bus driver. The gangs are highly specialized: curve gangs that transpose the high and low rails at mid-life on curves, tie gangs, surfacing gangs that do tamping and aligning, switch gangs that only replace switches and others. A system gang usually has an assigned train to carry all the machines plus boxcars with spare parts. The mix depends on the season's work that is planned. It is my impression that no gang is better than its mechanic.
Hope that helps.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
mulino , Oregon
SP Trailer

WOW! This is great info. I have not started work on this unit yet but the questions about the front and rear cones got me to look closer. I had not questioned them the body is aluminum but you got me to look closer and it appears they are painted fiberglass I will know better once I start work. any history of FG work at that plant during the mid 60's. As for interior it is almost the same as that traditional body style 40' in Portola CA. originally all painted in Zolatone.