Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Oddities
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Slide out

Can anyone tell me why airstream stopped making travel trailers with slide outs? We're they too prone to mechanical failure?
Slide outs seem more popular than ever with the box trailer crew.
Any chance of seeing the slide out again?
I did hear a rumor that inferred that they rubber seals are hard to maintain which results in leaks.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Nope, had nothing to do with any problems with the slide itself. In fact once the Airstream slide was tested and used in production, the SOB companies copied their design. The reason Airstream quit making sliders was strictly economics. They weren't selling enough of them to continue production. Company records says that 84 slider units were made between 2001 and 2009. We love ours and never had a minutes trouble, and it always gets a coment.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 06-26-2016, 05:01 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Company records says that 84 slider units were made between 2001 and 2009.
If they were only making 9 slide-out units per year, then they could hardly have made enough on the total production run to even recoup their development costs.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
We have a 2001 Classic 30 foot slide 70th Anniversary model and is great. No problem with slideClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1478398384.764486.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	274874

Vagabond Bob
Salida, Colorado
2001 30 ft 70th. Anniversary
With slide out
Old 01-03-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
San Diego , California
Bummer

It's a real bummer about no more slide outs. We love our Bambi 19' but it could really use more space. (Really actually wanted the 16' for maximum Bambi cuteness but didn't want a wet bath. Just as well, as the 19' is awfully cramped as it is!)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I guess we're with the majority of Airstream people who prefer to not have slides. Now that we're actively looking for an Airstream, it seems that most of what we're finding now have slides. Go figure.

As an aside, I find it interesting that some sellers think that because they have a coach with a slide it is worth twice what a non-slide one is worth. It isn't to me.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
John

Currently Looking...
Camas , Washington
Funny, I only joined the forum yesterday and that was my first question. As a former marketeer I see *demand* in this informal survey. Once you've experienced a slider it is hard to go back... I would not be surprised if Airstream brings them back in a future model year
Old 04-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #8

1993 34' Limited
Kerrville , Texas
Do you know how many of these airstreams were made?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
There are reported to be 84 Slide Out Units...

There's a Slide Out Owners Society thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post1927951

29 S/O's part of the registry now.

Tom
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Crestone , Colorado
Welcome to the thread. It is a small group. I think it great we have a way of sharing our experience of owning these units. So far my experience has been very good. I bought the unit to full time. Now my plans have shifted. It is still a great unit. If I sell it I will miss it a lot. It is hard to know everything in the equation why Airstream made so few units. I am sure the small number caused them to discontinue the manufacturing. With the S/O being so popular with SOB's I can only believe they were ahead of the times. So often this happens. The rest learned from them.
Bob
Old 08-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
St. George , Utah
We have a 28 ft. SAFARI slide out and I was wondering how we register and be part of the Slide-out (SO) group. If anyone can send me information is much appreciated.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Slide Out Society Owners Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilin View Post
We have a 28 ft. SAFARI slide out and I was wondering how we register and be part of the Slide-out (SO) group. If anyone can send me information is much appreciated.
Hello Stilin - Just post a reply requesting to be a member on this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post1989853

Or search for the thread title: Slide Out Society Owners Registry

Gary will happily assign you the next S/OS number available.

Tom - S/OS #25
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
As an aside, I find it interesting that some sellers think that because they have a coach with a slide it is worth twice what a non-slide one is worth. It isn't to me.
All you gain with most slide-outs is empty floor space. The furniture built into the slide-out is usable whether the slide is in or out. If you plan to entertain inside your trailer, added floor space is good. Otherwise, it doesn't matter much.

Although I saw one (remodeled) SOB slide-out where the slide contained a Murphy bed. When the slide was extended there was room for the bed to fold down, but when the slide was in, there wasn't enough room for the bed to fold down. So the slide-out didn't just give more floor space, it gave access to otherwise inaccessible furniture.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
All you gain with most slide-outs is empty floor space. The furniture built into the slide-out is usable whether the slide is in or out. If you plan to entertain inside your trailer, added floor space is good. Otherwise, it doesn't matter much.

Although I saw one (remodeled) SOB slide-out where the slide contained a Murphy bed. When the slide was extended there was room for the bed to fold down, but when the slide was in, there wasn't enough room for the bed to fold down. So the slide-out didn't just give more floor space, it gave access to otherwise inaccessible furniture.
So, Protagonist, arguing with yourself, eh? Both valid points you make:
1. You do mostly gain "empty" floor space, otherwise called space. Lack of space = cramped, so more space = good, IMHO.
2. I absolutely want a murphy bed for a full queen size bed otherwise impossible without the additional "empty" floor space.
3. Additional point you don't mention: for Bambi lovers like us, slide outs allow you to have a little more space w/o going for a bigger rig.

I'm still researching this. I was told by Timeless Travel Trailers that they will retrofit slide outs w/ chassis reinforcement STARTING at $155K. At the cost of a mid-range DP or a mid-size home (not in CA or NY), I guess we really have to want this to spring for it! I'm still trying to decide.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
So, Protagonist, arguing with yourself, eh?
Some people talk to themselves. I argue with myself.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
Can anyone tell me why airstream stopped making travel trailers with slide outs? We're they too prone to mechanical failure?
Slide outs seem more popular than ever with the box trailer crew.
Any chance of seeing the slide out again?
I did hear a rumor that inferred that they rubber seals are hard to maintain which results in leaks.
Speaking from experience being an 11 year AS S/O owner I would say they are not necessarily prone to mechanical failure any more than other components. I had a failure to retract one time and had to retract it manually, turned out to be a failed controller which was an easy fix. The slides are incredibly well made, and weigh a lot. They had to beef up the trailer frame in order to install them.

We had a slide in a prior SOB, loved it, and having one in the AS was definitely a plus for us. To be honest I wish it had more than one slide. The rumor about the rubber seal is just that...a rumor. Neglect could possibly cause problems with the seal, but that is true for anything. I treat mine once a year with silicon spray and it is still like new.

I think they just quit making them as there was not a demand for them. Airstream folks generally tend to be purists when it comes to their trailers.

The extra floor space it creates is very much appreciated by us, especially with the two 100lb Labradors that travel with us.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Nope, had nothing to do with any problems with the slide itself. In fact once the Airstream slide was tested and used in production, the SOB companies copied their design. The reason Airstream quit making sliders was strictly economics. They weren't selling enough of them to continue production. Company records says that 84 slider units were made between 2001 and 2009. We love ours and never had a minutes trouble, and it always gets a coment.
Those original company reports of the number of sliders built were understated. Some research was done and here is a link to a slide out thread with the latest statistics with the count provided by Airstream on 09/2017. Looks like 617 were built from years 2000-2009.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36...ml#post2479892

Originally Airstream did a recall on the original slide from model year 2000 and maybe early 2001. I know I was up in Jackson Center the summer of 2001 where a 2000 was in for recall. They pulled guys from the plant in to replace the gaskets. Personally I've never had problems with the slide in my 2004. I do annually lube the gasket with silicone spray that I wipe on. What was drilled into my head when I picked my trailer up new was to never extend the slide or retract it unless the stabilizer jacks are down. That supports the frame and will minimize torquing on the frame. There were other modifications done over the years. One of the biggest is some reengineering of a roller system under the slide. Those rollers were in direct contact with the inside floor of the trailer and that area that the rollers were in contact with was carpeted. For some who want to remove that carpet and lay some type of laminate flooring, those rollers will damage a hard surfaced floor. I'm not aware what year that system was revised. I still have carpet down on the area that my slide rests on when retracted.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
Closed Thread