Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > VAC | Vintage Airstream Club
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Shoreham , New York
Potable water questions

My wife & I purchased a 1977 Overlander in 2018. We are very happy withit, we have done some restoration (mostly cosmetic, it is in quite good condition).
We used it frequently last year, but we always "glamped" with full hook up sites.

We have just joined WBCCI and we will be attending our 1st Airstream Rally in May. We will be dry-camping for the very first time. I have studied the manual closely. I was just examining the potable water system and I found that the potable water filter cannister under the sink is missing! The mount & filter head is there, the valve is in the off position, the water pump is operational.

We only use bottled water when we cook of make coffee. We only use "city water" for bathing & washing dishes. We plan to do the same with the potable water supply. From what I could see, the potable water filter line only supplies the drinking water faucet at the kitchen sink. I have two questions:

1) If the valve to the water filter is in the off position, will the water pump still be able to supply the needed water to the bathroom & kitchen? (I think so).
2) If The filter is absolutely necessary, where could I obtain a replacement cannister?
Thank you for your help!
CPBecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would use bottled water to drink and sanitize your fresh water tank with bleach. Not a bad idea to put some bleach in there probably about 4 oz with the tank full. Even better to take it for a drive and let it sit a day or two then drain and refill with fresh water. If you used it all the time and kept it clean you could drink out of it but why bother unless you are full timing. Once you sanitized it, you can use for hand washing, washing dishes, and taking showers. The canister than fits that old of a trailer is probably not available anymore but there are modern replacements from RV stores that can be retrofitted. Be forewarned, they things are the first thing to freeze and bust when it gets cold. The next thing that freezes is the toilet valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Culligan-US-E...0951272&sr=8-5

There are more out there on amazon.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBecker View Post
I was just examining the potable water system and I found that the potable water filter cannister under the sink is missing! The mount & filter head is there, the valve is in the off position, the water pump is operational.

1) If the valve to the water filter is in the off position, will the water pump still be able to supply the needed water to the bathroom & kitchen? (I think so).
2) If The filter is absolutely necessary, where could I obtain a replacement cannister?
Thank you for your help!
Water will flow in the oof-position, as it then it bypasses the filetr.
The filter is the ADC QC2 (quick disconnect) and are available on Amazon.

While I use the ADC filter inside my AS, I found that an external sediment filter is really needed when connected to "city water".
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote