Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Olathe , Kansas
No grey water tank

Is there a good source to find out which campgrounds donít allow vintage campers or have age restrictions. I donít have a greywater tank and can use a blue boy but donít know much about restrictions. Iím new to the entire vintage camping world. RVTRIPPLANNER looks like a good app but I know there are many good ones. ANY. ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED.
1965 Caravel
Lcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 01:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
I've only been to an age-restricted park once. But at check-in when they heard my trailer was an airstream and they saw that it looked decent they didn't object. I was just passing through and didn't make reservations in advance. I guess they could have denied me if they wanted? When I travelled with the blue boy, if anyone asked if I was self-contained, I said yes. Its a pain to drag the blue boy to the dump station but it works in a pinch.
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I can't answer your question directly (re. I don't know of a publication or app that tells you about age-restricted campgrounds, limits on self-containment, etc.).

I can tell you we van camped for years, and then did several years camping a small, vintage 1961 Scotty. Of course neither of those setups had gray water containment, nor did my 1964 Bambi II Airstream when I first got it. I never had a problem with age-restriction or with gray water containment questions.

Hit State Parks, small mom-and-pop campgrounds, and KOAs. There is little judgment there. Be smart and discreet about how you camp. Use of a blue boy or some other means to carry gray water off usually raises no eyebrows. Watering the surrounding trees every once in a while does not either. I watched a pop-up camper tow his blue boy to the dump station 2-3 times per day when camping at the Williamsburg, VA KOA. No one batted an eyelash...and it is a very nice campground.

Avoid the hoity-toity campgrounds. You'll know them when you see them or see their ads. Just avoid them. You don't want to camp with anyone who would not appreciate your vintage beauty.

I have added a gray tank to my Bambi and am in the process of doing so with my '61 TradeWind project. It is a nice feature to have...even for quick overnights in a Wal Mart parking lot.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I have a friend who has a brand new pop up trailer. They catch their grey water in an open 5 gal. bucket. So, a Blue Boy should raise no eyebrows....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
"The difference between vintage and retro is that vintage is honestly old and cool. Retro tries to be but isn't."

That, and Just because it's old doesn't make it a classic.
(who taught these kids?)
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
I also, don't know of an app that specifically addresses your question. I, also, camp with a Vintage, '62 GT. I just finished a 2 month journey of 5,000 + miles. From AZ, North through CO, SD, ND, MN WI, IL & back through KY, TN, AK, TX, NM with no problems. I did install a small grey tank. But, usually leave valve open to drain into a bucket wich I use to extinguish my campfire or water a tree. However, I use backcountry protocol for washing. Biodegradable soaps & shampoo, scrap food plates into garbage so food bits don't end up in grey water, etc. If no fires & inappropriate to water a tree, I have the small grey tank or take grey water to the facility's wash sink, just as the tenters must do.

« Name plates | Top | - »