Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > VAC | Vintage Airstream Club
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
New VAC Monthly Newsletter

This is great news from VAC 2nd VP Timmy Kendziorski, Tim has quoted in another thread:

"WE ( the collective of people who are now dedicating our free time toward the VAC) are finding new ways to reach the VAC membership. And that includes a new monthly newsletter to all members – email and snail mail, of the activities going on in the club. In fact, you should have received a copy in the last few days. That is just one step being taken by the people who are volunteers working to keep the spirit of the VAC alive."

This is a great enhancement available to the VAC membership, a monthly communication tool to let us know what is going on and where in the VAC. As I wait for the first issue I will be crafting an announcement of the next Region 7 VAC activity to get into the next issue.

Timmy, can you give us VACer's out here an email address we can submit our information to to get into these monthly news letters?

I know I'm not the only one ready to contribute to this new communication tool.

I can't wait to get my email for that you mention above!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Sure Eddie! Send submissions to newsletter@vintageairstreamclub.com and Rhonda Cooper will be happy to review and publish pertinent information.

The first issue already went out. You should have received it. Oh, apparently the reason you didn't get the first issue of this communication tool is that either your email address was kicked back as invalid by Constant Contact or your ISP would not pass the message along. We do ask people to log into the web site and correct their information. I see that you logged in yesterday, but I do not see that your contact info has been updated. I suspect that the email address you have on record with the VAC needs to be updated as RR.com has not been one to spamblock mail.

I am sure that I speak for the entire VAC when I say that I am looking forward to your insightful and sagacious contribution to the VAC. If you need any help updating your email address, let me know.

Tim
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Help me Timmy

I guess I don't have the right info in the VAC database. Please send me the newsletter at eemerick@new.rr.com. Also if you would be so kind to update my info in the VAC database that would be great, I'm not real computer literate and would need some help here.

As a matter of fact why don't you publish that info into this thread, that would help the rest of us that have not received this information because of some glitch in the system to get it

BTW Timmy, is it posted on the VAC website? Last I checked I was still a member, but did not see it yesterday when I logged in.

Anyone else get this info? If so can you send it to me at the email address above?

I'm going to get to writing that article for the next one, too bad I was not notified that the first one was being developed. I could have helped. Content can be increased if the membership knows when things are being published before they are published. This little tip might help increase content.

Thanks again Timmy for all your hard work.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Where oh where is the Newsletter

Hey Timmy,
I just went out the VAC website and could not find the current VAC monthly newsletter, can you tell us where it might be posted? I did verify my email address so now you can send it to me as a current dues paying member who should have his information up to date in the system.

Thanks again Timmy for all your hard work.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Just a little off topic here, but I've never heard "Tim" called "Timmy".

Not that there's anything wrong with it and even though my best friend growing up was named "Timothy" we all called him "Timmy" or "Tim". Some may even remember the old Rupert Holmes hit song "Timothy" which made it all the way up to the #17 which again was one of my favorite songs growning up ( I guess because I worked as a cavern tour-guide and felt some type of connection and since my friend Timmy worked there too)

But at this point in my life when ever I hear the name "Timmy" it always reminds me of the Seinfeld show where George was "double-dipping".

So "Tim" or "Timmy" this is for you. But if it's OK, I'll keep calling you "Tim".

Old 07-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Thanks Eddie – the address you posted here is indeed the same as what is listed on the web site and very likely the same address that is listed in the VAC master member database. You will have to contact Lee Cantrell who is the membership coordinator at membership@vintageairstreamclub.com and ask him to verify that address. If it is also correct on his list then that means your ISP blocked the message from Constant Contact – in which case, you will have to either add them to your spam list or contact RR.com to correct the situation. See – the VAC cannot guarantee that each ISP will accept any message to its members. And, in this case, the VAC is using the WBCCIs Constant Contact account – so this is clearly not a VAC issue. It is one that you will have to put in some effort to solve. Maybe you could get a gmail account because they do not block messages from constant contact or WBCCI.org.

Now, as for posting the monthly newsletter on the website – you are correct, it is not posted there. I was contacted by President Jim Cooper and he asked me to post that newsletter prominently on the site for the VAC. I asked him for a copy of the message as either a PDF or a Word doc file and he stated that he would try to get that to me – BUT – he and Rhonda were also leaving on a trip today. So, I suspect that being as I did not get the file from him to post on the site, he was not able to get it to me prior to leaving. Rest assured that as soon as I get that file, it will be posted. I have dedicated myself to the VAC's site – I keep it as up to date as I can within the means I have.

I can say that he did say that there were about 50 addresses – about 10% of the members – who the message bounced from. My understanding is that of those who did not have an email address, and perhaps those who bounced, he was sending a printed copy of the newsletter by snail mail. That way, each and every member was covered. Even you.

Anyway, as soon as I get the file from Jim & Rhonda, I will have it posted to the VAC web site toute de suite! If you want, I can send you a personal message via email or whatever means necessary so that you get that information as quickly as possible. Just let me know because I am here to service the members of the VAC.

Oh – one last thing – if you have information about a rally that might be of interest to VAC members, please send that information to me, or any VAC officer, immediately as we can get it included in the next issue of the Vintage Advantage. We were not aware of any new rallies at this point. We have been asking for information about rallies of interest to VAC members since we have taken over the newsletter, little is ever sent to us. So if you have information about one that we do not yet have, it would be a great service to all the members of the VAC that you provide that information straight away so that we can publish it! The VAC is counting on you to submit this information and keep the members informed.

BTW – all members of the VAC have full access to the calendar system – that means that all members who are in good standing can submit events to the calendar system on the site. I do not see any entries for any rallies like you have mentioned so I can only assume that you were not aware of this service. It has been published in the newsletter and online before. If you need help submitting an event to the calendar system, let me know – I would be more than willing to help you out three as well.

I hope this answers all of your questions.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
To add to Tim's comments, VAC merchandise is available to anyone with a VAC rally from me, the quartermaster. Just send me a list of the merchandise you need and I will send it to you, after the rally is over, return the sales proceeds and the unsold merchandise to me. No out of pocket cost for the rally organizer.

I have a order blank for you to use to order merchandise.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Paul, thanks - I did have to laugh at this!

I recognize that this is a passive aggressive move towards not only myself, but my wife who produces the Vintage Advantage newsletter for the VAC. This is actually something that both she and I have been dealing with since we first started volunteering for the VAC. It has been coming from the same source since we have been members. We are used to it and have to expect that throughout our involvement as an officer of the VAC and as a committee member of the ECC, we will have to deal with people who have a differing viewpoint. That is just part of the game we will have to play. it has not detracted us so far from our goals to make the most difference we can for the VAC and the club overall.
Yes, we were ready to walk from the club more than once. But at this point we are giving it the best commitment we can by volunteering the most that we can. At this point , the difference is quite refreshing! In fact, I can say it is energizing us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Just a little off topic here, but I've never heard "Tim" called "Timmy".

Not that there's anything wrong with it and even though my best friend growing up was named "Timothy" we all called him "Timmy" or "Tim". Some may even remember the old Rupert Holmes hit song "Timothy" which made it all the way up to the #17 which again was one of my favorite songs growning up ( I guess because I worked as a cavern tour-guide and felt some type of connection and since my friend Timmy worked there too)

But at this point in my life when ever I hear the name "Timmy" it always reminds me of the Seinfeld show where George was "double-dipping".

So "Tim" or "Timmy" this is for you. But if it's OK, I'll keep calling you "Tim".

Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Tim,

Glad you got a laugh out of it.

It's fun to make people laugh!

Enjoy,
Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Yea - I actually do see the perverse humor in all of this - the funny part is that the VAC is benefiting from these exchanges. It may be assumed that the VAC leadership, perhaps specific individuals even, are to blame for some of the problems some members are having when it is actually the member him or herself who has and or is the problem.
Not having a correct email address is just one example. I cannot tell you how many times we have asked for updates to personal information only to get zero response. Every bulk message I have sent out has resulted in dozens of bounced messages, which then resulted in personal contact attempts by various methods.
Some may be throwing some passive aggressive lemons trying to prove a point, but the leadership of the VAC is actually using these lemons to make lemonade and a better intraclub. I think it is working nicely.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

VAC Newsletter

I'll start with a message.

Important VAC Message

If you are a VAC member or associate you should receive a copy of the new July Newsletter (not the Vintage Advantage) by August 4th. If you don't/didn't, the VAC doesn't have correct address information for you.

Send current mail and email address along with your WBCCI # to: membership@vintageairstreamclub.com. or
Membership, PO Box 25, Olsburg, KS 66520.
Enter subject as, "correct address".

We emailed 610 newsletters and post mailed 36. I was surprised that only 36 members didn't have email. We had 75 bounced emails, and have sent post cards to those asking for correct email information. I've gotten about 20 responses so far.

280 emailed newsletters have been opened. When do the rest read their email? Those of you who have done a mass emailing know how much work it is to keep email addresses current. There will be another newsletter in August, and I hope to see fewer bounces.

If you are a member and want to contribute to the newsletter, contact newsletter@vintageairstreamclub.com.

Do you know someone who would be interested in the newsletter? Feel free to forward your copy. We are trying hard to communicate, so spread the news.

I hope to see you out in your vintage rig.

Jim Cooper
VAC President
President@vintageairstreamclub.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
That newsletter is posted HERE for those who are interested.

BTW - I asked, and was given permission to repost a message Jim sent to the officers of the VAC. I am reposting only part of that message - the part that is related to THIS topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cooper
We sent 610 email newsletters. 75 email addresses bounced, and I have send post cards to those asking for corrected information. So far I've received 14 replies. Constant Contact reports the 300 emails have been opened. I don't know how accurate their reporting is, but I wonder when the other 310 people read their email. There were only 40 members without email addresses, and they have a newsletter in the mail.

The newsletter provides the VAC visibility, and shows the membership that the club is not static. Rhonda and I will keep it going, but the next big challenge is to build a calendar of VAC events. Our membership said they wanted communication and rallies. I believe there are more VAC rallies out there than we can report on a calendar, we just need to know about them. I will soon ask the WBCCI Region Reps if there are rallies in their regions that would be of interest to VAC people and they would like to see on the VAC calendar.
The bottom line is that the VAC is working on communication on multiple levels. It is to include and inform all members. It is a vehicle to promote effective communication both ways and to encourage VAC members to participate.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
@JimC: There may be a few other members like me who are privacy geeks and as a general rule prevent our email clients from responding to requests for read receipts. I force my work email client to let me decide on each one, and tell my personal email never to send read receipts. So, there may be some of the 255 who have read the email but didn't notify.

And now that I write this, I don't remember if I've told my phone not to send read receipts since I had to reset it back to factory... hmmm... something else to tinker with!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I think I can offer something on this. Constant Contact does not use Read Receipts, but rather a simple image embedded in the message itself to find out who read the message. In this case, it may be the logo on the message ir even a small transparent gif image that you will never see. When you open the message from the club through Constant Contact you will open (download) that image also - and Constant contact now knows that you opened the message.
If you have automatic image opening blocked, as I do, then that image is not downloaded and Constant Contact does not know that you opened the message. This is likely the case for many of the 300 that do not appear to have been read. But not all of them. I am guessing that most of the 300 that were not read were actually not read, either blocked at the server as spam and never made it to the inbox of the recipient, or are sitting in the inbox and just not read.

If you want privacy, besides blocking return receipts, block also images from automatically displaying. But for the VAC, we are clean and honest, so you should be able to trust messages from us.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
In fact I do block images, but only for addresses that aren't in my contacts or on my whitelist, so mine is probably counted as "Read."

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
If you want, you can add vintageairstreamclub.com to your whitelist.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

DKB SATX,

I don't know who you are, but if your wbcci# is 15566, you are not in the VAC database. See the Important Message in post # 11 by JimC. The Aug date is for those receiving post mail newsletters. The email versions went out on 7/22.

Jim Cooper
VAC President
Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Thumbs up

Thanks Guys,

Yep, got mine on the 22nd of July.

I value the additional information the newsletter provides and the work you put into setting it up. This type of short monthly newsletter is a great idea to keep members informed. I know from my work, a lack of communication among peers and members of committees leads to inattention to detail, apathy, and finally the work enters the doldrums. (Now if I can just stop procrastinating and get my unit newsletter finished)

I still appreciate the Vintage Advantage and all the work which goes into it and I look forward to each issue. Thanks again for your time spent and hard work.

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
He is a new member - he is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
DKB SATX,

I don't know who you are, but if your wbcci# is 15566, you are not in the VAC database. See the Important Message in post # 11 by JimC. The Aug date is for those receiving post mail newsletters. The email versions went out on 7/22.

Jim Cooper
VAC President
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Message edit.

I clearly understand how hard it is to get emails correct. Please note that the link I posted in message #11 should be membership@vintageairstreamclub.com. I left out the "club". I also don't how to edit the post if it is possible.

Thanks Jim H. for alerting me to this error.

Jim Cooper
VAC President