Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Surrey , British Columbia
Name plates

I'm restoring a 61 Bambi and have the two original but faded nameplates. Should I put these back on or purchase reproductions? Im leaning toward the originals, but lo0kin for opinions....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	405591
larryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Name plates

I would use the originals unless there's a compelling reason to use repops.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
From what I understand, the originals have slightly raised lettering whereas reproductions don’t. There are several forum members who have repainted the originals and reused. Whichever direction you choose. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
How much time and effort are you wanting to put into restoring the badges? I went with replacements last time but if I had time on my hands and fussing with projects was my interest I might go with refreshing the old ones.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We re-painted ours. The big, blue A I R S T R E A M sign is easy, mask off the silver bits with parchment or tape & cut around the raised letter with a x-acto knife, then spray it with Krylon Royal Blue. Peel of the mask and you're done. (Sorry, can't find a picture right now...)

The smaller sign you show is more of an anodized finish and printed (w/o the raised letters) - so that one isn't as easy. If it's in good, but faded shape I would keep that one (we did on our '64 GlobeTrotter). If it's too far gone - get a new one. I belive they are painted/printed so they look pretty different from the originals. If you do get a new one, keep the old one no matter what shape it's in - you can always go back to it & your trailer's 'next owner' may want it.

On our '56 Safari, I painted the small tags with raised letters and removed the paint from the raised portions.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Hi all. I’m doing the work on Larry’s trailer so thought I’d offer some clarification. The originals are not raised lettering. The VIN plate in the photo is just there for color reference, and is for my ‘63 GT (it’s vin plate is faded to the point where only the actual stamped number is visible, but the original will be kept).

Our plan was to use the original plates as they have earned their patina, but since the trailer has just been fully polished, we thought it might look good with new name plates too. I will not do any re-finishing if the original set. I would rather use re-pros and save the originals as they are, but I think we will just re-install them as they are. The trailer is 60 years old, and at that age we all have our scars and wrinkles to show.
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:43 PM   #7

1956 22' Safari
1966 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I'm facing similar dilemma on my new-to-me '66 Safari.
There's already a nice looking VTS repro on the front, but the nameplate on the back of mine looks as faded as yours. Repros are out of stock at VTS.

Since I'd rather not remove it right now (snow/rain/cold), I might try masking/painting while it's still attached when the weather warms up.

But until then, I think I'll apply a full size AIRSTREAM nameplate style sticker I just ordered from Inland RV. It's a quick simple solution, it's the right size & color and should be easy to remove when I'm ready to try my hand at painting.
56 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
I like the idea of the originals, but see what you mean by replacing with the exterior all shined up.

I think if I were to get new ones I would want to find a place to mount the originals inside the trailer.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote