Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
1972 Airstream Safari - New Mexico

It is with a heavy heart that I list my beloved Airstream, Airylle. I've towed her solo the last two years since my partner died, and, well, it's just getting too difficult.

I've owned her since 2006 and I believe I am the third owner. The second owner had her for about 20 years but she wasn't used at all for more than 10 years. I gutted the interior to make it more comfortable. No turning a lumpy gaucho into a bed every night. No more finger pinching fold down tables. And no stupid tambour doors. A master cabinet maker made birch cabinets and installed them using the original face frames. It has an incredibly comfortable custom made innerspring mattress that follows the curve of the front. The dinette folds into a sort of bed for a short person.

It has a new Suburban stove installed in November 2018. When the fridge died I replaced it with a compressor Dometic chest fridge that runs off 110 and is wired to Trojan T 105 batteries batteries. It's great for boon docking.

All the copper plumbing was replaced with PEX.

The bathroom was originally a wet bath with a tiny useless closet in the corner with fuse and converter that you literally had to lie on your belly to service.The converter and fuse panel was moved to under the dinette and the useless closet is now a very tiny but useable shower with a hammered copper sink in one corner. The bathroom is still too small to get any meaningful pictures. The black tank was removed and a cassette toilet installed so no tank dumping. The 1972s did not have a gray water tank.

It has laminate flooring and nearly all interior lights are LEDs.

It has a powerful new electric tongue jack installed in 2018 and a back up camera.

Right after I bought her, and before I started the gutting/remodel she was featured for 2 seconds in the movie Wild Hogs, positioned to the left of a bar built specifically for a pyro stunt. I was assured by Wild Hogs productions that only the right side of the bar would explode. The pyro stunt went bad and the whole bar blew up. Fire crews immediately rushed in to save my trailer. Still, the air conditioner melted as did the curbside rock guards and front window cover. Wild Hog productions replaced everything that was damaged Carrier low profile AC and MAXair fan and took her down to Oasis RV in Tucson to have the skin remediated and re clear coated. They also very tediously re detailed all the Airstream blue trim. Unfortunately, I didn't discover until nearly a year after the work was completed that the window film was damaged. So, that is something that's wrong; the windows have a yellowish cast.

The other problem is the furnace. The igniter doesn't work anymore. I never used the furnace much because it really drains the battery, but the last time I tried I couldn't get it to light. Also, the clear coat is now peeling in some places. So, those are the things that are wrong.

While it may look like a show trailer, it is an extremely comfortable rig that has been on many, many adventures and has many more ahead of it with new owner s who, I hope, will love her as much as I do.

Located in Placitas, New Mexico. Drop down doesn't list it.

View this ad at Airstream Classifieds - 1972 Airstream Safari - New Mexico

Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sorry to see you are selling your trailer. It looks great and has a wonderful history.

Richard

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Yeah it was a heart-wrenching decision. Last January a friend rented a Cruise America Class C and we caravanned to Quartzite. She did not have to circle the gas station looking for a pump on the end. When we got there it was easier for her to get into the boon docking spot. She could just press a button inside the rig and start her generator. All in all I could see how effortless her experience was. I realized, it's not the coolness of your rig, the the experience of the journey.