Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #1

Middlebury , Vermont
1955 Airstream Cruiser/Overlander

SALE PENDING 9 August 2020

This 1955 Overlander "whale tail" has had the interior refinished in custom cherry woodwork by an expert Vermont cabinet maker. It is beautiful inside, and has a lovely simple and calming feel to it. We bought this classic vintage trailer a few years ago and just haven't had the time to take her out, and have decided, sadly, to part with her. We put new tires on, and had the wheel bearings replaced, and trailered her home with no difficulties.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

I contacted the previous owner, who did the renovations on our Airstream, since I did not know the answers to some of the questions that have been coming in. Your questions and his answers, and in some cases my answers, follow.

QUESTION: Do you know the condition of the frame when you put the floor in? Did you remove the old floor, or put the new floor on top of it? ANSWER: The frame was rock solid when I installed a new subfloor directly to it. The old subfloor was completely removed.

QUESTION: Has the frame been taken off the undercarriage? ANSWER: I am quite sure it has not.

QUESTION: Does it have a sway stabilizer? ANSWER: Not sure of this one. It does have the original hitch. It's a breeze to tow.

QUESTION: Did you rewire the Airstream? ANSWER: I did not, but I did rewire the old outlets. So it has the original wiring, which was sound and presented no problems. Furthermore, the present owner had an electrician go over it, and he installed a GFI box not sure of the technical term for this where power comes in near the holding tank. The lights and outlets are in working order.

QUESTION: What is the condition of the plumbing, and when did you last use it? Did you ever update it? ANSWER: All new plumbing and holding tanks back when I did the project 1999 . Plumbing last used in 2005.

QUESTION: What is the condition of the belly pan? ANSWER: Good considering its age.

QUESTION: Any damage to the shell? ANSWER: There is a dent on the front right above and right of the propane tanks where someone hit a tree limb. We have been told that repairing this dent is not a big deal. I can send pictures to anyone interested.

QUESTION: Any soft spots in the floor? ANSWER: In the bathroom some of the flooring is showing signs of rot.

QUESTION: I don't see a refrigerator in the pictures. Is there one? ANSWER: No.

QUESTION: What is the condition of the cook stove? ANSWER: The stove was a second hand buy in '99 and I was never very happy with it. Replacing it with a much better unit shouldn't be expensive in itself; however the cabinet would likely have to be altered to accommodate. If the buyers want a custom cabinet built for a new fridge and stove, I know just the guy.

QUESTION: How much does it weigh? ANSWER: The current weight is considerably less than the original weight. I pulled cast iron pipes out of there! It was the 1950's after all and gas was cheap and they weren't worrying about weight. According to myvintagetrailer dot com and airstreamguy dot com the 1955 Overlander weighed 3,297 pounds. This one should be below that.

View this ad at Airstream Classifieds - 1955 Airstream Cruiser/Overlander

Closed Thread