Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dayton , Washington
1936 Bowlus Road Chief

1936 Bowlus Road Chief. The father of Airstream. As John Long the guru of Bowlus said THE ORIGIN OF THE SPECIES. Bowlus started the RV industry. Google it. This is the holy grail of the travel coach world It doesn t get any more rare or desirable than this. Only about 35 Road Chiefs are known to exist and only about 12 are on the road. I think they are sculpture and the most beautiful coach ever built. The body has been painstakingly restored with each new panel carefully replicated with the proper mounting holes pre drilled to mount the interior spars and all other items like lights, bumper included before buck riveting them on leaving only the final polish to match up the old with the new as the final step in the restoration. The frame is as good as it can be with no rust or cracks and everything in place as it should be. This piece of art is rolling on 16 inch Ford rims and new tires with a perfectly operational original hitch. You will notice one of its unique design features is the location of the entry door the only coach I know of with that feature and you can tell from a mile away, that this must be a Road Chief. A new door in door has been constructed and is not hung or totally riveted waiting for final assembly for its final cut, rivet and fitting so as to preserve it during restoration and dial in a perfect fit.

As you enter the coach, you notice the perfect aircraft triangulated frame and new plywood floor. Several pieces of old wall have been salvaged for patterns. You can easily build this coach into a front or mid kitchen layout at this stage. My friend Keith made me some measurements and patterns from his Bowlus restoration for the interior and they will be included. Life changes have determined that I will not be able to finish restoring this gorgeous creation so I have decided to either sell it so it can be restored for a new owner and the world to see and enjoy or be selfish and hang it in my shop, for the coolest wall hanging in the world I m ok with either and I will let the universe decide Whatever the outcome, it is without a doubt, the most beautiful man made creation I have ever owned. I shake my head every morning when I enter the shop, see this Bowlus Road Chief, admire its beauty and wonder how I got so lucky to have it. Now let s talk price what s it worth, I don t know, they never come up for sale, could be 1, could be 100K. My price is 50K. John Long and his family build the best travel coaches on the planet, a new version Bowlus Road Chief and they sell for 135K to 250K. Usually a new version of an old classic car like a Cobra sells for less than a properly restored original version a lot less. So what do you want either way, you have the best the world has to offer I believe the best way to truly restore this Bowlus to the level that it deserves is to have Flyte Camp finish the restoration. They have done 2 and are currently working on another one. They have more experience and talent than anywhere else in the world with these coaches They will build it beautiful, LIGHT AND STRONG. Together, we have worked a deal for me haul this coach on a flatbed to their shop free to the buyer so you don t have to worry about transport and they stand ready to create your museum quality coach. I may also deliver to your location if we can work it out at 1.50/mile. I will work with you on other transport and we are only 300 miles from the port of Seattle for worldwide shipping options. Located in Walla Walla, WA. Phone calls only please because of spam...No title

View this ad at Airstream Classifieds - 1936 Bowlus Road Chief

Streampunk is offline   Reply With Quote