Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Scam buyer lurking about 'just moved to the area'

If it sounds fishy it is, sellers.

I received an inquiry on my listing for vent covers and the second email sounded fishy so I started looking. The buyer stated he 'just moved here on a job transfer' (without saying where here was) and that he was using a 'hearing impaired' phone #.

I found a blog post about a scam that mimicked the language from 2012 and reported it to Google as a TOS violation. The emailer was 'Timothy Jones' or koyher007 and was using a gmail address.

I sent the emailer this message:
Your email will be reported to https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse
because:

https://www.fightthescams.com/2012/0...impaired-scam/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_kiting

The message I thought suspicious was this:
Thanks for the prompt response to my mail.
I will be buying from you so please kindly withdraw all the advert from Airstreamclassifieds and consider it sold
Please be informed that i send ya a check asap for the payment,i just moved here on a job transfer.I will need the following details to mail the payment asap.
1.Name to be on the payment.
2.Home address.
3.City.
4.State.
5.Zip Code.
6.Cell & Mobile phone # .
I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have payment.
I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will be delivered within 2-3? working days.** I use a hearing impaired phone # and will receive your calls via email **
Thank ya.

joevdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Sounds like a scam to me too.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Just got the same email. I'm selling interior cushions for a 27 FB.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Just got the same email. I'm selling interior cushions for a 27 FB.
He also replied to my listing for Zamp solar suitcase. When I replied to his inquiry, I got a gmail message 'The email account that you tried to reach is disabled.'

So apparently Gmail cut him off.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Good to know it was worth reporting. Not that its more than a short hiccup for him.
joevdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
scams are nothing new and have been around as long as people have been around, think of the land & gold mine scams that abounded in the 1800's. Technology has served to cheaply expand their target universe and they blast these emails to thousands of email accounts. It costs no more to send a scam email to 2,000 email accounts than it does to send it to 10. They know the vast majority will delete the email or otherwise ignore it. They are after the 1 or 2 out of 1000 that respond - and they must get that 1 or 2 responses every time or else these silly things would stop on their own. They are getting better too - I have been getting emails that say my AMEX account is suspended and there is a convenient button included in the email that you can click on to re-activate it. It looks like the real deal from AMEX until you look at the sending email address from AOL.com ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
I sold a boat on eBay and received a similar message from a "buyer" my response was " I was born at night but not last night go bother someone else"
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I got an email from 'PayPal' saying Sorry to see you closed you account. please reconsider and open it again . There was a button to do so.
Ya right ! It was a scam ! Me no fall off the turnup truck lately lol

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
See post #12 of this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...or-171169.html
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I had something happen like what happened to joevdb when I tried to sell my Ford 8N tractor. I shut the Craig's List offer down immediately, because the offer to buy did not seem right.

If they want a name, address and telephone number would they not just go to the yellow pages in a phone book, say at a public library? They could get the same info. They still would not have SS#, Driver's Lic #, Credit card #'s, passwords, etc.

I don't understand what the Scam was/is trying to accomplish. What do they gain by doing this?

Also I went to Post #12 as noted by dasams above. If I were looking for a spot to camp to see the eclipse it seems like a reasonable offer, but is this a scam? The author, Farfetched, has posted 22x to this forum. It seems legit to me...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"'Timothy Jones' or koyher007 and was using a gmail address."

I have Sendel wheels & Maxxis tires advertised on Airstream Classified. Yesterday, I received an Email from Timothy Jones, koyher007, asking about my wheels & tires and asking me to respond to his Gmail address. When I did, I got a reply from Gmail saying "no such Gmail address."
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post

If they want a name, address and telephone number would they not just go to the yellow pages in a phone book, say at a public library? .......

I don't understand what the Scam was/is trying to accomplish. What do they gain by doing this?

Also I went to Post #12 as noted by dasams above. If I were looking for a spot to camp to see the eclipse it seems like a reasonable offer, but is this a scam? The author, Farfetched, has posted 22x to this forum. It seems legit to me...
I've sold a truck and two travel trailers on Craiglist with no problems - no one gets your name or any direct contact info unless you post it in your ad (which of course you shouldn't), so all communication is through Craigslist until the seller decides who is legitimate and chooses to provide a more direct contact. Therefore, there's no way to look up a seller's info in the yellow pages or anywhere. I always include "cash only, local pick up only" in my ads. I also put the Craigslist map pointer somewhere a few miles away from where my true location is. I just ignore any fishy replies, keep my ad running until a real buyer responds.

Farfetched in post #12 was informing people of the same scammer/thief that OP here encountered - Farfetched's ad was legit, they just noted that the stupid scammer didn't adjust their request - they replied as if the campsite was an object to be delivered (the scammers send same reply to most of the ads, hoping one or two will bite).

The scammers are trying to accomplish several things - usually they want to send $$ to you greater than the asking price - bank check, personal check, whatever (it will be fake). Then they either want you to use the extra $$ to ship your item, OR they send someone to pick up your item after you received their check. Either way, it often takes time for all the banks to figure out the bank check is fake, and your item is long gone, plus when your bank reverses the fake check deposit you're out the original amount plus any $$ you may have paid on shipping.

Hope that clarifies a bit.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Wow.. you guys haven't heard it all....

I was on the AS blog... and some guy came on saying that he is a movies locator... and his friend the director is going to make a trailer for a vehicle sales add.... He is looking for people who want to have their AS used in the add... and needs about 4 of them... all different sizes...and ages...

Sounds nice huh.. get paid for using your trailer in the movies... except for one thing....

I replied and asked where the shoot was going to take place... and if I was going to be re-emburs'd for towing the trailer to the set...

The email that I got back said.. no you don't need to tow it to the set.. that they have to use union people and will have someone come out and pick it up ... deliver it to the set and in about a week...then when done bring it back.. to you with the production check...

Hmmmm I know they like to use union help... as I also am a member of SAG... so I called SAG and asked where the shoot was to take place ... as in Calif you have to get a permit... and SAG keeps track of ALL productions... due to their association with the union...

The reply I got back .. was that she didn't see anything on the regester.... ops... big time... So we started checking scams...

Indeed.. several people in SD were dupped into this scam... and loaned their MH's to make a movie... only problem was that the union driver that showed up had all the paperwork that the owner needed to sign... picked up the MH and that was the last they saw of it... as one said.. about a couple of days later we wanted to come see the shoot...on the set.. they called the number.. and got the old... this number is no longer in service... so they called the cops... and were told... YA DUMB.... TO LET ANYONE drive off with your motorhome... kinda thing...

So if you get or see a add to where they need your AS for a movie... and to contact them if you want to make some extra money (they usually cite $500.00 a day for the going rate on fixed items)

Don't believe it... its a scam... and the way you can tell... if you tow it to the shoot /set/site... you should be able to deliver it to the set... and be paid to do so.. once on the lot.. THEN... the hired hands will move it and take responsibility at that point...

Remember that... their is always someone who wants to work up a scam...

Right now their are lots of them trying to RENT your AS for the flood people... be careful out their...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I agree with most of the anti scam hints except the one about hearing impaired people. I have had hearing aids and now Cochlea implants for years. I have found very few telephones or cel phones that are usable to me including their speaker modes for communications. It is far better for me to correspond using email or in person. I know of plenty of people who have been impared since birth, but I would bet you they are honest. Just be careful when comunicating with an unknown advertiser.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:47 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Thank you Kitycatcat.

I also did not realize that Craig's list has a location pointer related to the seller.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote