Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Henderson , TX
Airstream wanted but no fixer uppers - Texas

We are searching for a much loved and well taken care of Airstream with a rear bath and mid twin beds, at least 28' with weight under 7500 lbs. so that we can pull it with my half ton. We prefer the original style but with new plumbing, wiring, no leaks, and sturdy flooring. We aren't looking to restore one. We live in Texas but if the right one comes along, we're willing to travel, within the US.

View this ad at Airstream Classifieds - Airstream wanted but no fixer uppers - Texas
TimnKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimnKathy View Post
We are searching for a much loved and well taken care of Airstream with a rear bath and mid twin beds, 28' with weight under 7500 lbs. so that we can pull it with my half ton. We prefer the original style but with new plumbing, wiring, no leaks, and sturdy flooring we aren't looking to restore one . We live in Texas but if the right one comes along, we're willing to travel, within the US.

View this ad at Airstream Classifieds - Airstream wanted no fixer uppers - Texas
Just out of curiosity, what number does your payload sticker (yellow and white) in your door frame state for maximum payload?

That size trailer is a bit heavy for most 1/2 TV's.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Henderson , TX
The payload is the weight that the bed of your truck can carry. The towing capacity of my truck is 10,500 lbs.
TimnKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
The payload is the weight that the bed of your truck can carry. The towing capacity of my truck is 10,500 lbs.
Payload is not the just weight than can be put in the bed. Is is the difference between the GVWR (maximum possible weight for the truck) and the curb/empty weight of the truck.

Payload is consumed by the passengers in the truck, pets, anything in the bed, any aftermarket accessories, and most of all the tongue weight (TW) of the trailer - usually around 900# to 1000# for a 28' trailer.

Most 1/2T TVs have a payload of 1500# to 1700#, maybe more if there are less options on the truck or special payload packages. A trailer with a TW of 900# would typically only leave you 600# to 800# for everything else listed that is considered "payload".
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
Payload is not the just weight than can be put in the bed. Is is the difference between the GVWR (maximum possible weight for the truck) and the curb/empty weight of the truck.

Payload is consumed by the passengers in the truck, pets, anything in the bed, any aftermarket accessories, and most of all the tongue weight (TW) of the trailer - usually around 900# to 1000# for a 28' trailer.

Most 1/2T TVs have a payload of 1500# to 1700#, maybe more if there are less options on the truck or special payload packages. A trailer with a TW of 900# would typically only leave you 600# to 800# for everything else listed that is considered "payload".
Well stated Jeff. Some folks look at the tow capacity rating on their TV and are not aware off what you nicely explained.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
There's more to consider than towing capacity 10,500 lbs.

I suggest you look at the sticker I referred to and apply that capacity to tongue weight, passenger weight and any gear and such you load in your TV.

Most 1/2 ton TV's are best not exceeding a 25' trailer for overall safety and handling. Not what you what to hear when you have a 1/2 ton and want a larger trailer. Please check out the Towing section on the forum, there 's a bunch of post and information on this subject.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Welcome to the forums. You may want to check RV trader for available trailers in your area. As you can see, people are questioning your tow vehicles ability to pull a 28' airstream. The tongue weight of a trailer like you are describing is probably specified at 850 pounds, but in reality ends up being much heavier. You'll find lots of spirited debates on this site on this subject.
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post

Yep.

And the term "passengers" can be misleading. The term the sticker uses and can be verified by a trip to the scales is "occupants". The driver, being an occupant, takes up payload.

My 2020 F-150 had a payload of 1610# on the sticker but 1550# after subtracting a couple of aftermarket add-ons.

And the weight on the truck that is not on the ball (tongue weight) might be significant depending on the hitch. PPP=~186#, also taking up payload.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It all comes down to payload. I towed a 1986 Sovereign at about #8000 all over the lower 48 with a 2004 Nissan Titan. Never a problem.

But — I could not carry much of anything in the truck bed. The gen set, propane stove and a couple of camp chairs was about it.

Fortunately, my Sovereign was a narrow body with about a ton of cargo capacity so we utilized a lot of that.

Basically, if you have lots of stuff you want/need to carry with you on an adventure, you need to look at a 1/2 ton with a heavy payload package or a 3/4 ton.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #10

2019 27' Globetrotter
Piedmont , South Carolina
Airstream for sale

I have a 2018 GB for sale. Listed on Airstream MarketPlace. It is located in Piedmont SC
mchildress73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Matching a TV to a trailer is about a bunch of numbers.

GCVWR is the total that the trailer plus the tow can weigh with everything fully loaded. It's rare to see this one be "the limit".

Each axle has a weight rating. Front and rear on the TV, both axles on the trailer. This one is a "must do" and it normally is what limits the lash up. I would suggest you want to be under by a pretty good margin. Running out to the CAT scales every day of your life is not what I'd call fun. Truckers get paid good money for that sort of thing

Tow rating is indeed the maximum trailer you can put on a TV. As with combined weight, this one is rarely the limit you bump into.

The receiver on the TV has a weight rating. You need to stay under that number for the weight the trailer provides ( = tongue weight) plus the weight of the hitch and shank. This one also gets a lot of people. The weight limit with and without a WD hitch may be different.

Payload has been mentioned in multiple posts above. There is somewhat limited storage for "stuff" in the typical AS. Chances are, you will have several hundred pounds of weight tossed in the back of the truck as a result.

Next up is the basic issue that "in spec" does not always mean "works well". There are a number of examples of max limit vehicles handling very poorly. Some manufacturers do their ratings at 45 mph and at sea level. Go up to 6,000 feet and try to get to 55 ... not going to happen.

Every trunk model is different. The terms 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton don't begin to cover all the variables. Load any truck up with all the options ( say the Limited package on a Ford) and the payload numbers will be pretty low. Buy the base model with no options at all ( say the XL on a Ford) and the payload will be larger. Simply saying this or that guy does this or that with "a 1/2 ton Ford" is only the start of the conversation.

Some hitches and shanks come in around a hundred pounds. Others are over 400. That *is* a decision you need to dive into fairly early in the process. You very much need a weight distributing / anti-sway hitch.

The typical cross over point for most folks between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton is 25'. That's not a hard rule. It just seems to be what most folks do.

Not simple .... sorry about that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi
The typical cross over point for most folks between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton is 25'. That's not a hard rule. It just seems to be what most folks do.

Bob
Bob described my situation. Bought the 2020 F-150 Lariat while searching for a Basecamp 20 or anything 23-foot model. We stumbled upon a nearly pristine (smelled new) 2017 25FB International while visiting family in Virginia. Towed it home to central Texas.

Trading the 2020 F-150 for a 2022 F-250 nearly doubled the payload to a shade over 3000# at the scales. Door sticker says slightly less. That is from 1550# at the scales for the F-150 whose GVWR was 7000#.

I had added Roadmaster active suspension to eliminate some sag but that doesn't add to payload. The trailer drove the truck on occasion.

We travel light (no where near GVWR of the trailer's 7300#) but we couldn't carry much of anything in the bed of the truck. We loaded cargo in the trailer, moving it to the truck bed at every stop. Major Pain. We balanced the load in the trailer as much as possible but there is only so much room in the floor at the axles. It beats up the floor of the trailer, too. Adding a grandchild on a long trip forced us to juggle even more gear.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:50 PM   #13

1962 26' Overlander
Springfield , Oregon
We have one for sale in Oregon that might fit your interest, please see our ad for 1962 Overlander.
worksmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Other posts above have given you good advice on capacities and limits. I tow my 23 footer with a 1/2 ton truck and I couldn't go any bigger without exceeding some of my limits, payload in particular. The 23 footer is much lighter than the 28 footer, and I have to load carefully to stay within limits.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , AZ
We are towing a 28 foot Flying Cloud with a 1/2 ton Tundra 5.7 without any problems aside from steep hills at 50 mph. We have a Husky WD hitch. The prior owner towed with a F150 (with air bag suspension) and a regular hitch.
vwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by worksmiths View Post
We have one for sale in Oregon that might fit your interest, please see our ad for 1962 Overlander.
Based on the original post this is the first I see directly answering their question. They are looking for a unicorn and may have found it.....good for them!!!! I hope it all works out well for both parties.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I agree that a nice vintage trailer (1970s and earlier) in good condition may fit your TV. AS trailers seem to get heavier by the decade if not the year.

The key will be the condition of the frame and trailer overall. It's exceedingly hard to find a vintage trailer that doesn't require any work.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I agree that a nice vintage trailer (1970s and earlier) in good condition may fit your TV. AS trailers seem to get heavier by the decade if not the year.

The key will be the condition of the frame and trailer overall. It's exceedingly hard to find a vintage trailer that doesn't require any work.

My '73 31 Sovereign had a 5600 dry weight and 600# tongue weight, but to expand on the info above, there is a huge time and money commitment in rehabbing an old AS. A better approach (IMHO) would be to buy a heavier duty pickup and go with the newer and heavier AS. Instead of spending a year or more to do a rebuild, you could be on the road and enjoying the trailer, much sooner.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:38 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Given the nutty market for used vehicles, if you *do* decide to upgrade, you would likely pay an insane amount for a used TV. Even new one on a dealer's lot could have an "over MSRP" price on it. Many dealers are willing to do some level of deal on a vehicle that is ordered in. The issue there is the wait.

No ideal answer there, but the "low cost" option will mean a bit of delay for the build / delivery process. Just how long varies quite a bit between manufacturers ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Our 2004 30 Classic has a LOADED TW of about 700 pounds. I have to work to move stuff forward to properly weight it. Lots of scale readings show our numbers to be within the GVW of our Ram 1500.

It will be for sale shortly.

It is a unicorn in that the TW was reduced by the Service Center executed mod (removed couch and replaced with chairs) plus the LiPO battery upgrade. Also the TW on the 2004 Classic 30 was low to begin with.

It can be towed, by a reasonably loaded 1/2 ton and stay within all the TV limits. We have towed it with a Hensley and it tows like a dream. Fully equipped with Dexter dual cylinder discs for exceptional braking.

PM is you want more info