Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

1975 27' Overlander
aG , California
1975 Airstream Overlander 27 - California

Title: 1975 Airstream Overlander 27 - California
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

This is a VINTAGE trailer. It definitely shows its age yet it might pleasantly surprise you what good shape it is in. How many 40+ year old trailers do you see on the road? If you are looking for a vintage Airstream it is probably because you know they are quality trailers with a cult following and rich history. You may also know they are hard to find! They are either fully restored and cost a fortune or have been gutted and need full overhauling before they can be enjoyed. We looked for years before we found an Airstream in our price range that was functional, albeit needing some work. We have had this trailer for about 5 years and have done some updating/repairs however it needs a lot more than we have time for. We hate to get rid of it but its not getting the attention it needs and we'd hate to see it just waste away. If you want a project that is also already usable this is for you! Please see below for more details. I will do my best to give an accurate description and comprehensive list of "room for improvement" items. Again, please keep in mind we have been using this trailer as-is so you can work on said items at your own pace while still using the trailer if you wanted.

I should also mention we have the original owners manual, service manual, and a bunch of documents/paperwork from the previous owner/owners.

Exterior:

Leaks: The trailer has 2 leaks that we are aware of. One is in the back and trickles down the wall onto the counter in the bathroom. I can't seem to pinpoint where the leak originates, hence I have not been able to mitigate it. That being said, it is not as big as the one in the front. The front one is large enough to wet the front carpet between the door and the couch if we get a lot of rain (which we haven't in the past several years. Good for the trailer, bad for the drought). We are fairly certain it is coming from the junction between the awning and the body. We have improved the leak by caulking that spot however there is still a leak. My husband has used an awl to poke through the carpet to test for dry rot and has only found two spots about 6" in diameter. One is under a former leak that we have repaired. One of the oval Windows had fully popped out shortly after we purchased the trailer. I'm guessing it had been leaking for some time before it finally gave out. Like I said, it has been totally repaired. The other spot is under the current leak from the suspected awning junction.

Aluminum shell: From what I can tell nothing has been done to the aluminum. The clear coat is coming off and certain areas look worse than others. There is a ~6 inch (?) dent on one rear upper corner and obviously smaller more superficial dents too (remember how its 40+ years old)

Storage: Basically the only outside storage is the "tool box" that runs the length of the back. It is really only big enough to hold the power cord and sewer hose. Airstreams are lacking the massive amounts of underbody storage that other trailers have but they do have plenty of interior storage and an amazingly towable low profile because of it.

There had been a humongous old-school antenna on the roof. We had it removed when the AC was installed.

There are also 2 propane tanks on the front hitch area

Tires have ~5000 miles on them and we have a brand new spare.

Interior:

The front Sleeper/Sofa and dinette in the front
-the table does not become a bed but folds out of the way for the couch to pull out to a bed
-cushions and/or covers are newer but there when we bought trailer so age unknown
-light blocking curtains are new
-flooring is not original, maybe 10 years old, in good shape. Berber style carpeting throughout
-overhead and under couch storage as well as another compartment
-overhead light/vent w/exhaust fan, light cover has been replaced

Kitchen in the front/middle
-original refrigerator works like a champ, runs on gas or electric. Electric part recently stopped working, some troubleshooting suggests the heating element is bad so we are working on replacing that.
-air conditioner replaced in 2014 with brand new Dometic model. Professionally installed.
-original stove top works, pilot lights not dependable so tiny leak, we haven't tried to fix it, exhaust fan over range
-original oven looks brand new, we have never used it and it doesn't look like anyone ever has
-large pantry and lots of storage
-sink has a leaky faucet, have not tried replacing, seems easy enough
-overhead light/vent with new light cover
-water pump works
-window with white vinyl-esque shade

Sleeper/Sofa in the middle/rear
-we have replaced cushions on couch with a memory foam mattress to make this sleeper/sofa a permanent double bed. You could swap out mattress for cushions if you prefer it to be flexible. We have found the mattress to be way more comfortable
-overhead light/vent with new cover
-closet and lots of overhead/under bed and other storage
-one of the windows has the same new curtain as the front, the other has the curtains that were in it when we bought the trailer because I couldn't get them off (the curtains are on a track on the top and bottom side of the curtain since the trailer has curved walls)

Bathroom in rear
-bathroom has a small bathtub (like tiny, toddler sized tub)/shower combo
-separate toilet
-separate sink
-lots of storage
-gas/electric water heater is new, installed professionally in late 2011/early 2012 (can't remember exactly)
-new showerhead although the space is quite small so we rarely used the shower
-recently the sink faucet started dripping when the system is pressurized. Again probably an easy fix as the faucet seems original so its probably just run its course.
-original spring loaded pull down curtain in rear window is broken but there.

Please feel free to email with more questions or to arrange to come check it out.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-california-4/
Cateadams is offline   Reply With Quote