Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Palm Springs , California
1968 Airstream - California

Title: 1968 Airstream Sovereign 30 - California
We just listed our 1968 Airstream Sovereign for Sale on Airstream Classifieds.

Year: 1968 Make: Airstream Model: Sovereign Length: 30'

This vintage 1968 International Land Yacht is truly like a time capsule and was originally custom ordered by a retiring long time employee of the Santa Fe Springs, CA Airstream plant. He chose the largest model, the highest available level of trim and selected virtually every available option.

After his retirement, a change in his health prevented him from chasing his dreams and the Airstream was seldom used. Over time, he reluctantly sold it to the second owner. This owner also used it lightly, then stored it and finally decided to sell it to my mother in the late 70s or early 80s. At that point, the fabrics were need of replacement, but virtually everything else was as original.

Over the next 10 years, my parents took it on various trips from New Mexico to California, where I was living and made one long trip up to Seattle one summer. In the early 90s, they parked it in an enclosed storage facility and it didn’t move until about two years ago. At that point, my wife and I went back to New Mexico, put new tires, new brakes, etc. on the Silver Bullet and pulled it out to Palm Springs, California.

Over the winter, I went through and checked out all the systems. The toilet was the original one and was completely replaced with a nice new Thetford ceramic unit. Otherwise, everything we checked worked, even the air-conditioning which was still blowing cold air. At the end of the first summer, the only necessary repair was a new power supply and new battery.

We have taken it to the California coast for a total of about seven months over the past two summers and loved it. But, changes in our lifestyle are forcing us to reluctantly let her go to a new home.

Although, we never had an intention to do a lot of long trips, we had absolutely no issues in the pull out from New Mexico. While I have only limited experience pulling trailers, I found it to be quite easy to both pull and maneuver.

The interior photos speak for themselves, and my mother was absolutely in love with this trailer. ( although the photos do make it look more greenish that the actual golder tone) As a result, she kept it in a condition that can only be called remarkable. The exterior was stripped and re-lacquered in the mid-80s and does show its age in places, but this patina does nothing to slow the enthusiasm of anyone that passes. Needless to say, the “cool” factor is immense.

While there are many fans of the lovely small Airstreams, and I admire them as well, some friends of ours who own one of those little gems were in ours one day and described this Land Yacht as being like the “Presidential Suite”. If you are actually planning on spending a lot of time in your Airstream, and not just going to a show occasionally, the storage, comfort, and general spaciousness of these larger Airstreams is truly to be appreciated.

When we were first starting to pull it to California, my wife was concerned about our inexperience pulling a large trailer and said she wished that it was one of the small ones. My answer to her was “when we park it and start to live in it, you won’t think so”. She now agrees with me. We loved it.

We are asking $12,500 and feel free to call me at 760-285-2220 or email me at dc@davidchristian.com if you would like to learn more.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...30-california/
apexdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream