Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
AWC
Andy

Soldiers Grove , Wisconsin
1961 Airstream Overlander - Wisconsin

This 1961 California built Overlander is an excellent project base but absolutely needs a full restoration. I purchased this mostly original trailer 2 years ago and was gathering items needed to rebuild it when I came across a 1962 Ambassador that is a better fit for our use, so this one is being made available for someone else.

It has a really excellent shell with one very minor ding on the front endcap near the door, a few small punctures on the street side, and does need some work on the door. The belly pan is off, frame and crossmembers look good with no rot, just surface rust, and the outriggers are mostly good but some need attention.

The trailer has a nice history. It was built while Airstream founder Wally Byam was still alive and is therefore considered a legacy trailer. In addition, the original owners went on caravans to Mexico in 1962 and Canada in 1963!

As noted, this is a complete project, best fit for someone who understands that with trailers this old you are probably going to have to get in and do major work or have it done on floors, wiring, plumbing, suspension, etc. Especially if your thoughts run to a modified interior layout or different kitchen configuration this is a great place to start. This trailer isn't appearing to be more ready than it really is.

Included are a number of items not shown: Bargman L 77 lock, replacement window frame materials, Alclad aluminum to repair the door, and more. I am putting brand new tires on this week, and have temporary lights on a 4 wire plug for towing, had no problems bringing it home 150 miles two years ago. Clear Wisconsin title in my name.

I have many more pictures and am happy to provide more detail to anyone that is interested in a closer look. Thanks.

View this ad at Airstream Classifieds - 1961 Airstream Overlander - Wisconsin

AWC is offline   Reply With Quote