Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
It looks like Airstream changed to a different type of legs on the 2016's. Anyone with a 2016 care to comment if they are more stable?

Picture from a 2016 on Colonial Airstream's site:
http://www.colonialairstream.com/201.../images/11.jpg

They seem to be Springfield Thread-Lock:
Anodized Base
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
It looks like Airstream changed to a different type of legs on the 2016's. Anyone with a 2016 care to comment if they are more stable?

Picture from a 2016 on Colonial Airstream's site:
http://www.colonialairstream.com/201.../images/11.jpg

They seem to be Springfield Thread-Lock:
Anodized Base
GOOD EYES! Thank you for noticing this - I was planning to go to my local RV store and buy helper legs for my wobblers. This almost certainly has to be much more stable - just screwing in... and the leg itself has rubber gaskets at both ends so it should snug up and dampen any movement at either end. I'll PM Mr. Botticelli and ask how it looks to him before I buy. These bases are surely big enough to cover the holes left by removing the less effective ones.

If I do go with the Springfield Thread-Lock, who wants the old brackets and legs - cheap!

Paula
Old 08-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Happy to say that the table in our 2015 late-model-year EB 27' (delivered in May 2015) is sturdy. It certainly flexes if you push on it, but it is not tippy, and I can push myself up out of the seat with it as a leverage point with no tipping. Our unit has what I believe is the latest EB table hardware (according to my dealer), pictured below. Hope this helps anyone looking to change hardware. Joe

Floor mount:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438738968.879078.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	244603

Table mount:

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438738996.657595.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	244604

Top of leg (tapered for tight fit):

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438739032.589277.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	244605

Bottom of leg:

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438739053.800531.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	244606
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Thats a big improvement! I'm curious if it has the same screw hole pattern as the earlier models. Can you take a snapshot how the tables clip into the closet? I upgraded mine as the originals would allow the legs to pop out.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
StagrLee-
There are two plastic straps that snap in place at the top and bottom of the legs that hold the legs against the closet wall. See image below. Works reasonably well. Joe

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438832451.409678.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	244693
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Update: I just finished upgrading my 2014-vintage table legs with the Springfield thread-lock legs that are now standard on the 2016 (and perhaps late 2015) EB's.

For those with the older style legs, coming from someone that has directly experienced the before and after, I can say that the Springfield thread-lock legs make a HUGE difference! I'm very satisfied with the upgrade. Also, for those that find the EB table a bit too tall, I used legs that are a bit shorter.

I ended up getting the parts from Cascade Depot <http://www.cascadedepot.com>, bill of materials were:

Stowable Table Mount
SKU: 3660018
Qty: 2
Item price: $27.74 USD
Total price: $55.48 USD

Thread-Lock 29" Table Post Satin Anodized
SKU: 3692029-L
Item price: $23.99 USD
Total price $47.98 USD

Thread-Lock Table Base
SKU: 3690001-AL
Item price: $19.49 USD
Total price: $38.98 USD

A few hints for the swap. In order to get the new floor base and table mount in the exact same position, since the new pieces are larger in diameter than the old, I did the following:

For the table mount, there is a small circle in the middle of the plastic casting of the original mount. That allowed me to set to pin for a compass/dividers right in the center and draw a circle around the mount in pencil directly on the underside of the table (pencil can be wiped clean from the formica afterward). Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of this part.

For the floor base, since I figured it would be hard to find the exact center point of the base, I used the compass and followed the outside edge of the base with the pin approximately 1" out from the original base. I put down painter's tape to draw the line on. Pictures attached.

The idea was that with a circle drawn about 1/2" to 1" larger than the new pieces, I could eyeball the centering of the new pieces with fairly good accuracy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3886.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	247043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3887.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	247044  

Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #47
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
And is this new set up rock steady?

I think this is the first replacement that may work ...
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrover View Post
And is this new set up rock steady?

I think this is the first replacement that may work ...

I think so. Put it this way, I've scrapped all of my other plans to stabilize the table and am completely happy with it at this point.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
dcmgaugh - spoiler!

I've been dithering and dithering about this wiggly table for months - not wanting to spend money and have someone come up with a better solution...

I did buy a piece of white PVC pipe, cut it into two 30 1/4 inch and put soft rubber pads on both ends to use as movable stabilizer legs with pretty good results - but definitely a "half vast" solution.

And I nearly took the hacksaw to the legs three or four times because ALL airstream tables are too high (30.5 inches where virtually all other tables are 26 to 29 inches high). What stopped me? Thought I might want to give away these legs to others who have the EB and just want to get a 3rd leg to match the originals.

I Even PM'ed NeatAirstream (Patrick Botticelli at Colonial) and asked his opinion of the new style legs - which he thought were better but "probably not enough to justify the cost of switching (Yeah - agree if you buy from mucha-markupa Airstream!)

Then went on EBAY tonight and found six problems resolved with one table... and I already ORDERED IT. Wah!

ELNA 9600 9500 8600 Heavy Duty Sewing Table on Wheels | eBay
Arrow Gidget 2 sewing table - because the ebay link will become obsolete
Lower, sturdy, smaller, foldaway, holds my sewing machines, doesn't wobble, see high speed sewing video with a glass of water on the table. And of course I do sew!

Dmc... Seriously Thank You! That's a great post with lots of nice pictures and clearly written. AND I wasn't going to throw out the table because once in a blue moon I will want to convert the dinette to a bed. I'll also get your legs because I've never invited anyone for an inside dinner in the EB because of the table's wobble. I'm not made of money and on a day to day basis I'm going to love the sewing table a lot more. But I did hate the idea of not having a functional dining table.

Paula
Old 09-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
StagrLee-
There are two plastic straps that snap in place at the top and bottom of the legs that hold the legs against the closet wall. See image below. Works reasonably well. Joe

Attachment 244693
My 2012 has some weak clamps that failed about 1/2 the time. I already had the identical snaps and some 1 inch nylon webbing in my sewing basket - so that project took 45 minutes. 15 of which was finding the stuff!

Could have also used velcro instead of the snaps, but it's an easy and virtually free fix.

Paula
Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
dmcgaugh - cascade ordering

I just ordered what you got. And in 3 days they'd already upped the prices slightly from what you paid on two of the items.

WARNING to others who want to duplicate that order - WRITE DOWN WHAT DMC ordered or have his post in another open window before you visit the Cascade website. There's no "Search" by SKU that I could find. I went to "Pedestals" and then searched by PRICE to find the stuff I wanted - but I didn't find the 29 inch post until I clicked on the 30 inch - and below it in the "you might also like" found the 29 inch.

You only see the SKU when you click on an item to review, so I went by that and am confident I'll get the same things dmcgaugh ordered.

I'm a born second shifter - and the internet has empowered me to blow most of my cash after 2:00 am.

Paula

PS - funniest part of Cascade's website - they have the original "bolt lock" stuff that Airstream put in as OEM equipment on the 2012 - which several people struggled to find the brand name on. See Post #4 of this thread.

http://www.cascadedepot.com/bolt-loc...base-polished/
Old 09-08-2015, 07:37 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
I ended up getting the parts from Cascade Depot <http://www.cascadedepot.com>, bill of materials were:

Stowable Table Mount
SKU: 3660018
Item price: $27.74 USD
Total price: $55.48 USD

Thread-Lock 29" Table Post Satin Anodized
SKU: 3692029-L
Item price: $23.99 USD
Total price $47.98 USD

Thread-Lock Table Base
SKU: 3690001-AL
Item price: $19.49 USD
Total price: $38.98 USD

Thank you so much for the write-up and photos. Excellent information. What fasteners did you use?
Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

PS - funniest part of Cascade's website - they have the original "bolt lock" stuff that Airstream put in as OEM equipment on the 2012 - which several people struggled to find the brand name on. See Post #4 of this thread.

Bolt-Lock Table Base Polished - Cascade Depot
Paula, I am just double checking. In my 2012.5, the original bolt pattern has 5 screw holes and this link looks similar but has 6 screw holes so you would be drilling to install that part. With that, you would likely have to use the cascade table legs and top mounts as well if the table bottom wasn't exactly the same.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Twist-lock table legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StagrLee View Post
Thank you so much for the write-up and photos. Excellent information. What fasteners did you use?

For the base I used:
- Stainless steel oval head Philips sheet metal screws #14 x 1-1/4"

For the table mount I used:
- Stainless steel oval head Philips sheet metal screws #14 x 1/2"

I got them from a local hardware store here in Seattle (Stoneway Hardware). I find that the local independent hardware stores have the best fastener selection. I'm not sure if some place like Home Depot would carry these. Doing a quick search online, I turned up this place though: https://www.boltdepot.com/Sheet_meta...l_18-8_14.aspx

The base screws are similar to the ones Airstream used on the old base, but theirs were self-drilling and are flat head instead of oval head. I thought the oval head looked classier.

I used a 3/16" pilot bit for all of the holes. It probably goes without saying, but don't drill too deep on the table, my pilot holes were probably not deeper than a 1/4". Also, the Philips heads on the screws really like a #3 Philips bit as opposed to the more common #2.

One last thing: I filled the old holes in the floor with gray silicone in case anything ever spilled on the floor and seeped under the new bases. I didn't do any special preparation where the new screws penetrated the flooring as I figured the rubberized flooring would do a good enough job to prevent moderate spills from seeping around the screws.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Another update:

Just got back from our first camping trip over the Labor Day weekend since upgrading the legs. I can again reconfirm how great the new legs are. My kids looked at me like I was crazy when I told them they were allowed to lean on the table now. Two additional things I learned with the new legs:

- Once you set the table mounts over the top of the legs, you can make the table even more stable by giving the table a good pop (with the heal of your hand or the base of your fist) on top of the table around where the mounts are. This is because the top of the legs are tapered so the firmer the legs engage, the tighter it gets.

- The table legs come with little plastic buttons that effectively latch the legs into the table mounts. If you take down the table often, you'll find the buttons are kind of a pain. And, unless your planning to do any 4-wheeling in your trailer, I can't possibly see why you would need these to keep the table attached. These buttons can easily be removed by reaching down inside the leg and pulling out what is essentially a plastic u-shaped springy thing.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by StagrLee View Post
Paula, I am just double checking. In my 2012.5, the original bolt pattern has 5 screw holes and this link looks similar but has 6 screw holes so you would be drilling to install that part. With that, you would likely have to use the cascade table legs and top mounts as well if the table bottom wasn't exactly the same.

Believe it or not, I ordered those exact bases from Cascade about 9 months ago as I was trying to figure out a solution for the table. I think my idea was to use 3 legs, but I don't recall what I was planning to do to source a third leg. I never ended up installing them. They are larger in diameter than the Airstream originals (hence the 6 holes).

Speaking of diameter of bases, you can also get larger diameter Springfield thread-lock bases. It's seems to be a matter of whether you look specifically for table mounts versus (seat?) mounts. I'm confident the ones I ordered are the same ones Airstream is now using, but I suppose if you wanted an even wider base, you could use the other bases which I think are 10" in diameter. The original link I provided on Springfield's website was actually to these larger bases.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #57
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks to everyone here for the helpful info. I received the new style legs yesterday and in under an hour last night had a MUCH more sturdy table. I also went with legs that were 2 inches shorter as the table sat extremely high for eating.

The installation went very well, and I am now VERY happy with the table.

We opted to go with the black floor mounts just because of the risk of scratching the non coated, and we got the little filler plugs for the center holes.

2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Just got back from Alumalina - there were 3 Eddie Bauers - and ALL of us had modified the original table. One man made a slightly smaller table top with a shallow silverware drawer between the pedestals that could be opened from either side of the table. With as little storage space as there is in the kitchen, it's beautiful. A second owner had created a table about 1/2 the size of the original - and it sat on only one pedestal - I think it was a 15 and had the newer stronger pedestals. The Third, moi, had the sewing table set up.

Paula
Old 06-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #59
RivetingTravels

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 30' International
Richmond , Virginia
Has anyone had any success with Airstream replacing/upgrading the table hardware under warranty? Apparently our 2015 EB has the older hardware.

WBCCI 22386 | SKP 111234 | Follow Us!
BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram
RivetingTrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Table

We were told that we bought the first 2015 25' EB off the line ...
It has the old leg style; but I would encourage you to check with your dealer for support. AS Adv NW had been great on other items for us in dealing with the mother ship.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote