Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Eddie Bauer - All Models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
EB 25' — Worth The Price of Admission?

I am new to these forums, but not new to Airstreams. When I was young (52 now), my grandparents were active members in the Top of Georgia club and the Wally B club. I developed my Wander Lust complex from traveling the US with them during the summers.

To this point, my wife and I have had offered vehicles (currently a 2009 built Land Rover LR3) and a South African Conqueror Commander trailer (sold this month).

At 52 with two young children, we have decided it is time to "tame" our travels and enjoy indoor plumbing and a shower. We have scoured the web, and we landed on the 25' EB edition as the best "fit" for our lifestyle, and I guess just in the nick of time. It appears that the contract with EB has come to a close, and it is get one now or wait until someone with a 25' decides to sell.

I have found 1 25' foot 2015 new East of Colorado. The dealer isn't budging much on price (based on what others are saying is a typical discount at an AS dealership).

For those who own one ... Are they worth the price of admission?

I appreciate any quick feedback as I have a refundable deposit on the one I have located.

Thanks
D Jarrett
Nashville, Tennessee
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
We have a 2012 25'EB and are happy with it. As for the question- Are they worth it? I think you are the only one who can answer that. For us the fold up seats don't get used much but we like the fabric on them and the hatch is used all the time. We and I believe others have had issues with the latch on this hatch. Our hatch door didn't fit to tight and it didn't have any way to adjust this. I have made some changes to address this but it still let's a little dust in.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
The hatch in the newer models reportedly work better but only time will tell. The hatch is quite useful if you kayak etc. but even if you don't, it's a heck of a feature.
Is it worth the price of admission? Truthfully an argument could be made that no airstream is worth the admission. It's about what you want and are willing to give for that experience.
It's only money and you sure as hell cant take it with you. :-)
Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Eddie Bauer > Eddie Bauer - All Models

All the current info, , ,
Old 06-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
The EB was the one for us. It can stand up to my active grandkids and their spills. Really like the flooring. Love the hatch. The bathroom is a little small for a generous sized person though.We cover the cushions with a waterproof mattress cover and a fitted sheet when we have grandkids camp with us. This does a wonderful job of keeping them clean and stain free. Do not have the ultra leather, not an option in 2014 models. We went with the 27 model because it gave us a walk around bed, and a little more storage space. Also like the way the kitchen draws are not behind cabinet doors in the 27 model.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Is the door worth $11K to you? Would you use it that much? Are there any alternatives to carrying your stuff (if that is a factor).
Old 06-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We are long time avid Airstreamers. We've had two 25FB's (an '05 and a '15) that we have spent over 1,500 nights in and towed 140,000 miles. We have not had an EB, but seriously considered one when we bought the '15. We decided against it because the gain we would get by having the rear gate was negated by the storage lost. We considered the EB because we wanted to more easily carry our 16' tandem kayak. The deal breaker was that with the kayak in place, we couldn't access the bathroom on a rest stop.

Also, I would check with Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, New Jersey. They are a very large Airstream only dealer. In many cases, their price is the price to beat. They have a very large inventory.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Man, I appreciate all the feedback.

Rodsterinfl: I am unsure how to answer your questions.
Best I can tell by all the shopping, I cannot find another 25 foot model that sports an active lifestyle (not even the Sport model). I am not interested in black or beige leather, food floors, etc.

A dealer in Salt Lake City told me today that the EB is being replaced with a Cloud model of the same spec, floor layout, minus all the EB appointments. But the price will be the same.

In all my searching, I can only find one user who had the door open on them, and I've had the same happen to me on other trailers when I was rushed and didn't do a final travel check (left a side door open, and it beat the heck out of the side of a trailer.)

Anyway, I do appreciate the comments. Keep um coming.

D
Old 06-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
We just picked up a 2016 27EB a couple weeks ago.
For us it was an obvious choice. We liked the FC 27FB layout, EB hatch, ducted AC with adjustable vents, but really wanted black ultra leather. The 2016 EB fit that bill.
Will keep you all posted on how things go in the coming weeks, months, and years!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433628560.665411.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	240117
Old 06-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Is the door worth $11K to you? Would you use it that much? Are there any alternatives to carrying your stuff (if that is a factor).

Is the $11K comparing the EB to a Flying Cloud or to an International model? Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's not worth $10,000 to carry a kayak which, in place, renders much of the interior very difficult to use.

On the other hand the seating is easily removable leaving a wide open living room with many possibilities, kayaks or recliner chairs or sleeper sofa or office or studio or . . .

No other model is so easily adaptable. If you inspect it for leaks, corrosion, damage, and maintain it religiously, it can last you through you lifetime. Then it may be worth the considerable premium. Not if you trade it in a few years (people often do), or don't keep up the maintenance. If you're going to keep it for a long, long time, you would like the 27' better and wouldn't notice the difference towing it.

Also with youngsters I would give the bedroom to them and work out sleeping in the living space for us. The place is yours in the evening when they go to bed or watch their own movies, and you have the kitchen to prepare breakfast while they sleep in. Something to think about.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I hear you cheryl, but we have been in a 16 foot trailer with no rest room, only an outdoor kitchen. We will feel like we are in a palace in the 25 foot me thinks.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
That is how we felt when we picked up our 27 EB.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
2023 25' International
Houston , Texas
As soon as you get that 25 footer the Airstream spirits will start their work. They are a devilish bunch. It's unimaginable how you will begin to see how a couple of inches here and there make a such a tremendous improvement. It will start with your wife, 4” more in the closet, I really could use that, 6” more in the bathroom, that's nirvana. The bedroom, she says, you have room to turn around. Now I'm not trying to upgrade all the 16' 19' 22' etc owners. What you have is what you want, different strokes for different folks, what you want and have fits perfectly. My only point is a new 25' vs a 27'. Both get into all the National Parks. If your time frame is 2 years and you want the 25', by all means go for it. Just remember the Airstream spirits are relentless, in 4 years you will be trading for the 27'. Oh, two more things, if it can tow a 25' it can tow a 27', there are Toyota's, VW's, BMW's and Porsche's on the thread that tow both. Also, there are other treads here debating the cost vs benefits of the EB vs other models. Good Luck and stay with us, the Airstream spirits will
veratipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A way to control the urge to upsize is to pull into a gas station with straight-in pumps in front and some pickups parked in front of the convenience store, then figure how you're going to get out. You're fairly lucky with the 25' if your truck wheelbase isn't too long.

Not enough closet, don't bring the clothes you didn't wear last trip. Queen bed to hard to walk around, install twin beds. Dinette seats too hard to sit on all evening, put in recliners with a fold-up table between them.

Try to find that size that looks down the road for many years, and find a way to stick with it. Lots more travel money in your pocket, and travel is why we have an Airstream.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Wanted a 25FB then got the 27FB. Almost the same price, almost the same weight, almost the same everything but the bed has much easier access in the 27. For some reason the 27 has a much lower hitch weight allowing easier payload calculations.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Eb 25'

This was my problem, From a 50ft Sail Boat in Hawaii to a Camper Trailer to a 2015 25' FC Twins and the problem is:
NOT let the Wife look at anything larger.

We love the 25ft FC and retired this is all we need, until the wife wants something bigger.

Happy Wife, Happy Life.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 2014 25' EB. Only one for us... 3 dogs...2 very active old gals, canoe, touring bikes, etc.. Sunbrella fabric easy to clean.... the back hatch is worth the price to us when we are backed up to the lake or really anywhere.... and our beagle loves looking out the back...you just can't argue with the beagle!
Jfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Orleans , Massachusetts
I agree with everyone stating you should get the 27' model. The 25' model bed is accessible on three sides but the end window side you're stooped over and it's huge when making the bed. Also because it's a 'toy hauler' you have that black linoleum floor and the couches look like outdoor aluminum chairs because they have to fold. You miss under seating storage as well. Friends of ours have a 2013 and the hatch latch doesn't work from the outside. How often is that door going to fail? If you boondock on the way to your destination you'll have to remove or climb over the toys which I would consider a pain! It sure is fun sitting with the screen down and the hatch open, but you get almost the same feeling inside with the panoramic windows. I'd worry about it being discontinued and then getting parts for what you may need down the road. Good luck!
ASaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Our decision process was:

1. Wanted an airstream
2. Didn't have patience for a long restoration process... Decided we needed new or nearly new
3. Have a son in a wheelchair... No airstream we found could accommodate him except the EB.
4. Would have picked a 23 EB if they made one, but the 25 was fine and a better fit for us than the 27
5. Looked high and low for a used EB and the only one we found was three years old and nearly the price of a new one. Decided to go new.
6. Shopped several dealers with EB 25s and made the deal we felt best with
7. Zero regrets and zero major problems since then

We love, love, love the hatch even though it's main purpose for us (wheelchair access) is rarely used... It can and does accommodate the entire family. More often we find that a campsite or parking spot with a great view out the back is lost to other trailers and motor homes but the centerpiece for our view. See the pic on my page here of the Atlantic Ocean from the open hatch of the EB. Remember the EB has a few more features than the hatch (e.g. 16" wheels w LT tires that lots of people add to their trailers). As for storage, we don't know any better since this is our first trailer, but I am packing now for 5 weeks of travel. I have a variety of plastic bins that fit under the dinette seats, are easy to load and unload in the house and hold all we need for kitchen, clothes, etc. we also keep the dining table stowed most of the time and use a 20" round table on the aft table leg for the Mrs and me... Makes the living area very spacious.

It's been worth it to us, but I think crisen hit the nail on the head... Value is a personal decision.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote