Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

"The Airstream"
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Registry
Airstream Name "The Airstream"
Year 1949
Make Airstream
Model Trailwind
Length 18 foot
1949 Airstream Trailwind
Overview Our airstream has been in the family for over 40 years and owned by my Canadian cousins for the 10 years before that, so it's got some history. I even lived in the trailer for about four years when I was going to college. The trailer was on the back lot of my brother's (previously my parents') house and moved it to our house when my brother sold his place last September. This was the trailer's first trip since 1970.

Over the years the airstream had a couple windows broken which let in some weather destroying the floor and one cabinent. Given all that, the other woodwork and shell were in fairly decent shape although the axel was rusted out. Since I'm not very mechanically inclined we checked out several airstream restorers and settled on one who started the restoration March 1st. (That's the benefit of Southern California there were three major airstream restorers within thirty miles). The individual we are going with, Barry, has about a dozen airstream restorations or polishings in process most of them vintage trailors from the 40s and 50s.
Exterior
1949 Airstream Trailwind Exterior
Will be polishing the exterior to a mirror finish and adding a low profile airconditioner/heater, new axel and glass.

Interior
1949 Airstream Trailwind Interior 1949 Airstream Trailwind Interior
Will be repainted with Zolatone. Installing a horseshoe couch with a toilet underneath one cushion and replacing the mattress witih a foam bed. A small refrigerator will replace one of the cabinents, other than that all the other woodwork remains as will the ice box/sink combo. The interior end caps, overhead cabinents and sink/counter will be polished.
Comments: 0 / Views: 14587

Tags