Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Mechazilla
3 Rivet Member

Airstream Registry
Airstream Name Mechazilla
Year 1975
Make Airstream
Model overlander
Length 27ft
Options Double rear bath
1975 Airstream overlander
Overview ?
Comments: 2 / Views: 3886
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Ok obviously I am new to the forum and to the world of Airstreams I have been waiting for years for the right opportunity to buy an airstream and it finally happened yesterday. so now I have a big old airstream in my back yard and a smile on my face..that being said i do have a few questions.

1.My 1975 overland did not come with any keys... what can I do I have done a search an found that apparently they all use the same keys? but is it possible to buy them or do I need to go to a lock smith? replace all the locks $$$$?

2. I do not have a tow vehicle for this camper so need to get one those of you who have a similar size camper what would you recommend.

3. is there a recommended sequence for restoration i am not sure where to start. I am not afraid of the work just unsure where to start. here is a link to my last trailer restoration (a canned ham).
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...67405733681537

thanks
dkrukosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
First welcome to the group.. You now have the alum fever..

I have read that all the locks were keyed the same,, but our 72 Overlander each lock has a different key.. (real pain).. Several Airstream parts supply sell new locks with matching keys.. InlandRv is my pick at this point.

As for the tow wagon,, if I say anything other than it needs to be safe it will start a 34 page review of what is the best and what is wrong.. So will just leave it at the fact I would not wish to pull with anything else but a HD 1/2 ton,, or a full framed outfit like a Suburban.. It all boils down to is the TV in control of the trailer or is the trailer controlling the TV.. Proper hitch,, trailer loading,, and TV loading all matter for the end results.

The first steps,, and found on this site and worth the time to read are 100s of new owners and the steps they took and the order done..

My self the first goal was to make sure it was weather proof.. Roof,, windows,, and lose or missing rivets.. seals around the AC unit and roof vents..

If it has a minor leak its better to catch it now before you find reason to replace the floor or other high dollar high labor repairs.

Testing the plumbing,, service wheel bearings,, and inspect and adjust the brakes are also important.. The PO of my trailer said the wheel bearings were just serviced.. Right ,, about 10 years ago by the dry and limited grease and even used a paper clip for the safety cotter key.. Tires,, inverter,, battery,, then onto the furnace, water heater,, fridge.. 12 volt system, lights, and 120 volt system..

Don't let this scare you ,, just make a list and slowly work down the line and check off items once done.. It's over whelming at first but once you get to the lower 1/3 of the lists you feel in control again..

Now what is listed above,, this is the easy part.. Once you think it needs a full polish job,, that is when the work starts.. Once you polish up part of the first pannel,, your stuck to finish it.. Mine took 80 hours.. I truly feel what I know now I would have just done a good acid wash and been happy..

The peace of mind knowing your trailer is ready,, and safe without any surprises once 400 miles away from home is priceless.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote