Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1960 - 1964 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
A few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2337010195.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	164620   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-55648340.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	164621  

Name:	image-2517359729.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	164622   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3634281496.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	164623  

Name:	image-3887368661.jpg
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	164624   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-914243266.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	164626  

Name:	image-1929231488.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	526.3 KB
ID:	164627   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-15756685.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	164628  

colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Not sure what this is. It is under the sink.

Name:	image-2100721738.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	164630

It has a lifetime warranty. Too bad I'm not original owner.

Name:	image-1369671137.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	516.8 KB
ID:	164632

The toilet.

Name:	image-3453122094.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	164633

Name:	image-387200295.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	164634

Name:	image-3243461765.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	164635
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
My '64 Sovereign Restoration

Greetings colberjs!

Welcome to the world of 1964 Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
Not sure what this is. It is under the sink.

Attachment 164630

It has a lifetime warranty. Too bad I'm not original owner.

Attachment 164632

The toilet.

Attachment 164633

Attachment 164634

Attachment 164635
I have been involved with my 1964 since it was new in 1964, and I was five years old. I didn't know what I was buying when I purchased the trailer in 1995 as it had passed through at least one owner between myself and the original owners who were family friends (they owned my '64 from 1964 through 1980). You are fortunate that many of the original features in your grandparents' Sovereign are still in place. It is comparatively unusual to find a 1964 with the original bathroom enclosure in place . . . quite often, replacing the original toilet results in the bath enclosure being cobled up . . . something that happened to my '64 prior to my acquisition.

You may already be aware that the 1964 models were the first year for some features while also being the last year for a number of features as well. This was the first year for a standard Univolt installation (also first year for all 12-volt interior lighting), and I believe that it was either the first or second year for the demand type water system rather than the pressure type utilized in earlier models. This would be the last model year for the jalousie windows beside the entry door, and also the last year for the door-within-a-door.

The chrome fixture that you have photographed below the kitchen sink is a water filter. It was considered the Cadillac of water filters in 1964, but it can be difficult to find the filter elements today. You likely also have a separate water faucet on the counter over one bowl of the sink . . . this faucet was supplied by the water filter. The original water filter had disappeared from my coach before my purchase, so I had a modern filter installed to serve the "filtered water faucet" in my coach.

When you mention concerns about the air conditioner, there are a number of possible approaches if it is an original Armstrong Bay Breeze air conditioner. The Armstrong units were much better built than the units available today . . . in fact, they were built with the idea that the unit could be repaired or rebuilt by a commercial refrigeration repair person. When I purchased my '64, it had its original Armstrong Bay Breeze and it was funtioning perfectly until I made the uniformed decision to try to operate it while connected to a 15 AMP household outlet . . . burned the compressor out. In those days before the information explosion on the Internet, I was not aware of the danger of trying to operate the air conditioner on anything other than a 30-AMP circuit. At that time, my favorite Airstream dealer advised that a replacement was my only option . . . I have since learned that a new compressor could have been installed at much less than the cost of the new unit and I would have preserved the much more effective Armstrong rather than switching to the less effective new Coleman Mach III. As with so many other things on our Vintage Airstreams, I have learned that rebuilding is an excellent alternative if you have the patience to locate a capable technician willing to attempt the work.

I am guessing that your Sovereign must either be an International or a very highly optioned Land Yacht. One of the big indicators to that status is the upholtered ceiling in the bedroom area. The upholstery on the ceiling (usually with matching comfort panels on the walls on the side of each bed) was typical of International models but could also be had as an option on Land Yachts.

The one caution that I might mention is to be very wary of the furnace. If the furnace is an International Oil product, it should be considered as very dangerous. These furnaces were known to have weak heat exchangers subject to early failures due to rusted heat exchangers. My '64 had its original International Oil furnace, and it was condemned by three technicians before I gave up and had it replaced with a modern furnace . . . the great advantage with the new furnace is automatic piezo ignition so no more theatrics to light the stubborn pilot light.

While my '64 Overlander had almost all of its original appliances when I purchased it in 1995, they have all had to be replaced since then except the range which still operates as new (the oven has only been used about a dozen times since the coach was new). The original Bowen water heater failed after my second season with the coach; the cheap replacement water pump failed during my first season; the Univolt only made it through my first trip before it failed; my Armstrong Bay Breeze made it into the second season before I brought about it demise; the original Dometic refrigerator had been removed by the previous owner just a couple of weeks before I purchased the coach; and the furnace was condemned and I had a new one installed before my first trip.

I am still faced with replacing the Henschen DuraTorque axles on my '64. My axles are the original units from the factory, and have needed to be replaced for close to a decade now. You can quickly tell if the axles are bad if you begin finding numerous popped rivets in interior panels. I knew that I had waited too long when a crack in the interior skin developed above the entry door. The rough ride caused by the failed axles had caused that crack and had also helped to bring about the failure of the outriggers nearest to the entry door. The fact that my tow vehicle was "over-hitched" during my first three seasons of ownership didn't help the ride any either. I am hoping to replace the axles within the next several months . . . since I know that I will be keeping this Overlander long-term, my plan is to go with the new disc brake equpped axles. I like to tow my Overlander with my vintage Cadillac Eldorado convertible, and the disc brakes on the Overlander will help to reduce the braking load on the Cadillac.

I hope that you don't discover rear end separation and rot in the floor in the rear bathroom. My coach didn't demostrate the separation and the rot wasn't obvious when I first purchased my '64; but by the end of my third season, I found it necessary to have rear end separation repaired along with replacement of the rearmost 8-inches of the floor. A big part of the problem was traced to leaks around the one-stop-service compartment hatch as well as leaks around the rear clearance lights.

I have also learned through experience with my '64 that close attention is required to keep the jalousie windows next to the door from leaking as well as to the seals around the door-within-a-door as well. Most of my leak issues with the jalousie windows was the result of worn gears in the crank assembly . . . was able to find replacements are a local mobile home supply company. I also learned that the entry door handle and deadbolt can become an issue with age . . . it was impossible to tell if the original deadbolt was fully engaged, and before I learned of this issue, my door blew open while traveling on the highway forcing the handle through the side of the coach. Since that incident, I have had new locks installed replacing both the original handset and deadbolt and haven't had any problems since (I also often utilize a wooden door secure stick that was designed by someone in the WBCCI many years ago).

I have had many memorable travels with my '64, and I am sure that your family will enjoy your heirloom just as much. It seems like 1964 must have been a high production year for Airstream with as many '64 models as have survived. Mine is such an integral part of my life that I don't expect to part with it until I am no longer able to travel.

Good luck with your Soveriegn!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you want to see how "re-buildable" a '60s Armstrong AC unit is, read this thread.

The poster not only rebuilt and improved the output of the unit on his TT, but also added the heat pump function!

Incredible, just a great story!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
One of the first rules of airstreaming is stop the water at the first possible location. If you count on interior sprays or caulking to keep dry you will be disappointed. use acryl-r or equivalent on the exterior seams, new window and door seals, new vent seals etc. then go ahead and seal the interior if it feels more confident, but if the water gets to the interior of the seams its probably too late.
The reason for polishing the skin under and around the new seals and sealing caulk prior to installation is simply so you do not damage your work later when you do polish. Your polisher has the potential and the propensity to destroy your work and make you start all over again. If you have absolutely no intentions of polishing simply omit this step and clean thoroughly instead.
Tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Kevin,

Thanks for the information.

The fiberglass (?) around the tilet is a bit rough around the edges. It may or may not get replaced depending on how thorough I am when it gets to that point.

I do not have a second faucet on the sink.

The A/C is actually a DuoTherm unit. And I have discovered it does not do much to cool the trailer in the 110* heat we have been experiencing. I am sure that is not completely abnormal for a unit as old as it is. It could just need refrigerant.The trailer is currently connected to a 50 amp circuit I had set up or my welder.

Here is the plaque by the door. Not sure if it is International or Land Yacht.

Name:	image-748380057.jpg
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	164846

I have several popped rivets on the interior as well as the crack above the door. Not sure what you mean by "outriggers" or "overhitched" TV.

I have bad rot around the toilet area and I know at least a prtion of it was caused by the fact that it has sat for an untold number of years with a busted rear glass. Speaking of which, is there any special kind of glass that should go back in? I would like to get it replaced ASAP. As far as rear-end sag, I have not researched it enough to find out how to determine whether or not I do. Considering the condition of other components of this trailer, I am going to assume the worst.

I know I have leaks around the curb-side jalousie windows and the door. I am also pretty sure I have leaks around the street-side jalousie's also. I need to find a place to buy the seals and gaskets that go around the windows and doors. I would also like to find an OEM doorhandle.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Aage,

I don't have the Armstrong unit, but rather a DuoTherm unit. But I looked at the link you posted and wondered if I could still do something something to boost performance.

Tim,

Thanks for the information on waterproofing. I don't know where I got the idea that it needed to be waterproofed from the inside but I think doing it from the outside will be much easier. The only problem is that I really don't want to try to polish seams in the heat we have been having. I guess it gives me time to collect some of the tools and supplies needed for the job though.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You can find all the supplies you need to rebuild your windows at Vintage Trailer Supply Windows
You can use regular glass for your repair. Some people choose to use tempered glass, but I just used the same thing that came out of it.
Too bad it's a privately held company.....I've spent lots o money there (as many have) on my rebuild of a '64 Bambi II. You can shop there for lots of goodies!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Aage,

I don't have the Armstrong unit, but rather a DuoTherm unit. But I looked at the link you posted and wondered if I could still do something something to boost performance.

Tim,

Thanks for the information on waterproofing. I don't know where I got the idea that it needed to be waterproofed from the inside but I think doing it from the outside will be much easier. The only problem is that I really don't want to try to polish seams in the heat we have been having. I guess it gives me time to collect some of the tools and supplies needed for the job though.
Just caught up with your thread. Sealing all the seams and fixing all the windows is a great way to start and relatively inexpensive compared to all the other things that might eventually need replacing. You can order Acryl R seam sealent directly from Airstram online. Then get yourself some Xylene and a set of dental picks and clean out each seam before applying a bead of Acryl R. Start somewhere on the roof where you will not see it often so you can practice applying the sealant. It can make a serious mess.

Check out vintage trailer supply for window seals. They should have everything you need. And you can find great info on window restoration on Frank's Trailer Works's blog here

Good luck with your restoration

Norm
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Here it is all hooked up. I found a shady spot to put all the hitch accessories such as away bar, etc. a little later.

Attachment 163680

Attachment 163681

Also. Does anybody know what this bracket is for?

Attachment 163679
Not a bracket- it's the battery vent hole. My 66 has two as they ordered an extra side located battery.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa

Just caught up with your thread. Sealing all the seams and fixing all the windows is a great way to start and relatively inexpensive compared to all the other things that might eventually need replacing. You can order Acryl R seam sealent directly from Airstram online. Then get yourself some Xylene and a set of dental picks and clean out each seam before applying a bead of Acryl R. Start somewhere on the roof where you will not see it often so you can practice applying the sealant. It can make a serious mess.

Check out vintage trailer supply for window seals. They should have everything you need. And you can find great info on window restoration on Frank's Trailer Works's blog here

Good luck with your restoration

Norm
Thanks Norm!

Do I need plastic or metal dental picks?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Metal picks are good for cleaning caulk. I liked these from Harbor Freight:

4 Piece Pick and Hook Set

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Metal picks are good for cleaning caulk. I liked these from Harbor Freight:

4 Piece Pick and Hook Set
Yep, that's what I used.

Norm
Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Would my '65 have clear coat?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Maybe. My '59 had a clear coat.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Is there a way did me to tell for sure?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings colberjs!

Quote:
I am not certain, but I do believe that Plasticoat became standard sometime in 1964 or 1965. My 1964 Overlander was built early in the model year and information that came with it indicated that the Plasticoat was a factory option priced as $1.00 per foot . . . $26.00 for my Overlander. The test that I have seen repeated frequently is to take a white cloth and apply some toothpaste . . . then rub the skin of your coach . . . if the cloth turns black there isn't any Plasticoat.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Thank you Kevin. I will try that.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Is there a special kind of glass used for the windows. I need to replace two of them, including the frosted rear window.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings colberjs!

Quote:
Is there a special kind of glass used for the windows. I need to replace two of them, including the frosted rear window.
My understanding is that the factory utilized standard household window glass through the 1965 model year. A question, however, has been raised regarding whether this was true throughout the 1965 model year as it was something of a transitional year. I have only had to replace one window on my 1964 Overlander, and since that was the front window and I like the "see-through" design, my choice was to replace that window with Lexan so that it wouldn't be subject to damage should my tow vehicle or a passing vehicle throw a stone its way. It has been more than a decade since the Lexan front window was installed and it is still performing well . . . there is some scratching and a little discoloration so I will likely have to replace it within the next two or three seasons.

I suspect that the bathroom window in your coach may be a replacement as I haven't noticed any 1960-1965 Airstreams during open houses that had frosted glass in that window. It is possible that it could have been special ordered from the factory by the original purchaser as special features such as a frosted window were often added by customer request in the Vintage era. Wally Byam liked to promote the "See Through" design of an Airstream that permitted viewing what was behind the trailer through the tow vehicle's rear view mirror (assuming that the tow vehicle rode high enough to permit the rear view mirror in the tow vehicle to be high enough to view through the coach's windows). When towing with my Suburban I really enjoy this feature . . . it doesn't work with my Cadillac, however.

Good luck with your glass replacement!

Kevin
AIR #827

Tags
1964 sovereign, sovereign