Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1960 - 1964 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Elephant Butte , New Mexico
1964 Sovereign 30'

My new can of worms..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clillinback.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	81361   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontdooretc.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	81362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fulldoorside.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	81363   Click image for larger version

Name:	servingside.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	81364  

jhohnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1964 Sovereign 30'

Greetings jhohnke!

I noticed one rather unusual feature on your coach. If I am not mistaken, it looks like it has paired jalousie windows on the streetside in the living room. I have only encountered two 1964 Sovereigns with this feature -- they were both custom ordered -- one belonged to the late Pearl Main of Hemet, California -- I have lost track of who owned the other (there were likely others, but they evidently were not common).

I am sure that you will enjoy your Sovereign. You may find that it has some interesting history along the road -- based upon the unusual streetside jalousies, it is one that might stand out in someone's memory.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Thanks for your comments

I am planning on removing the, as you call them "jalosies", from the airstream. Are you talking about the two next to the door, or on the opposite wall? My original plan is to remove the two opposite the door as I am opening a concession stand for iced beverages here in Elephant Butte and using these openings as service area. The height is perfect, but NOW if you're telling me that these are unique, perhaps I should rethink my plan. I will need a home for these windows if I remove them and was hoping to find someone on this forum to reuse them. I am fumbling along with my plan day to day. Again thanks for your comments and history lesson.
Jeanette
Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhohnke View Post
I am planning on removing the, as you call them "jalosies", from the airstream. Are you talking about the two next to the door, or on the opposite wall? My original plan is to remove the two opposite the door as I am opening a concession stand for iced beverages here in Elephant Butte and using these openings as service area. The height is perfect, but NOW if you're telling me that these are unique, perhaps I should rethink my plan. I will need a home for these windows if I remove them and was hoping to find someone on this forum to reuse them. I am fumbling along with my plan day to day. Again thanks for your comments and history lesson.
Jeanette
Yes, those windows in that location are very unusual.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
1964 Sovereign 30'

Greetings Jeanette!

The extra jalousie windows may be just the beginning. The presence of such a custom feature often meant that the interior had custom features as well. Sometimes, but not always, there was a tag riveted to the side of the coach near the VIN plate that identified the coach as a "Custom". To get an idea of whether the interior of your coach has any particular cusom features, you can refer to:

1964 Airstream Story -- Sales Catalog

and/or

1964 Sovereign of the Road Photos

It was still rather common for owners to special order their coaches with other than standard factory options creating a "Custom" coach. This practice became less common as time went on, but in 1964 it still happened with some regularity. The streetside jalousie windows are particularly uncommon -- I have been attending Vintage Airstream rallys since 1998, and have only seen two 1964 coaches with any jalousie windows on the streetside -- both of them conincidentally were Sovereigns.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
OK My Duh!

which side is the street side? Thanks J
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

The drivers side is street side. Passenger side is curbside.
It looks like it's been siliconed on the seams. Is that what I'm seeing?
Do you know if it's a California or Ohio model?
I like it. It looks like it's pretty straight.
You can slip the jalousie window glass out of the holders to leave an opening there. It would be a shame to change them out though. maybe you could utilize the door-in-a-door feature for serving through. You could still close and secure the Airstream and it would only mess with the screen.

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Thanks for the delightful ad...

for the 1964 airstream. I feeeeel special!!!! Have a lovely evening. I am going to my room to rethink my service area. Waaaaaaa more decisions!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
The drivers side is street side. Passenger side is curbside.
It looks like it's been siliconed on the seams. Is that what I'm seeing?
Do you know if it's a California or Ohio model?
I like it. It looks like it's pretty straight.
You can slip the jalousie window glass out of the holders to leave an opening there. It would be a shame to change them out though. maybe you could utilize the door-in-a-door feature for serving through. You could still close and secure the Airstream and it would only mess with the screen.

Rich
If she posts the serial number, I can tell for sure, but exterior evidence suggests an Ohio trailer.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
I'm heading out with my headlamp.....

and flashlight. Now you've got me curious about the Ohio? custom? stuff. re
"You can slip the jalousie window glass out of the holders to leave an opening there. It would be a shame to change them out though. maybe you could utilize the door-in-a-door feature for serving through. You could still close and secure the Airstream and it would only mess with the screen" I'm seriously going to rethink removing those windows. again off stumbling around in the dark trying to find the serial number and any other identifying markings. "I'll BE Back"
Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
chillin

Well, all I found were the numbers stamped on the plate next to the door. It says 141-S-7105 6404
Santa Fe Springs, CA. If there's another number or more info, I'll have to find it in the sunlight. Thanks for all the info and support. It's much appreciated. It's good to know that pretty much everything one needs to know is on this site, or its links. I just need to find someone here in Elephant Butte or Truth or Consequences NM who is available or wants to work to get this lady fired up. Oops can't say that she's chilin'.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
silicone

Re "It looks like it's been siliconed on the seams. Is that what I'm seeing?". Yes, every single seam is covered with the stuff. It looks hideous. Give me time. I am semi-retired. She'll be purty, maybe in a couple years.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Well, all I found were the numbers stamped on the plate next to the door. It says 141-S-7105 6404
Santa Fe Springs, CA. If there's another number or more info, I'll have to find it in the sunlight. Thanks for all the info and support. It's much appreciated. It's good to know that pretty much everything one needs to know is on this site, or its links. I just need to find someone here in Elephant Butte or Truth or Consequences NM who is available or wants to work to get this lady fired up. Oops can't say that she's chilin'.
My Captain Power Decoder Ring says you have a 1964 Airstream Sovereign International, 30', center double bed, Built in California, #105 off the line.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Thanks Captain....

Off the line, means no custom? How'd I get the cool windows? and what do the numbers mean that are written on the hind end of all airstreams above the window? Captain, Sir.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Off the line, means no custom? How'd I get the cool windows? and what do the numbers mean that are written on the hind end of all airstreams above the window? Captain, Sir.
Just because it came off the production line, does not mean it was not special-ordered with things like those jalousie windows. We recently had a 1959 Overlander in the shop with a front L lounge layout similar to the 1970 and newer Caravanner, usual layout is a front couch or dinette, with a bed in the middle, between the kitchen and bathroom. It is the oldest trailer I have seen with that configuration. Those big red numbers are the WBCCI membership numbers of a former PO (Previous Owner).
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Cool!

OK, Now I'm off to bed, I have decided that I will not remove the jalouse windows, I will remove the windows across from the full bed, and remove the bed, (btw, does it fold up or down or into the wall or something?, the bed) and move the counter/cabinets to the opposite wall where the bed was. I need someone to cut a hole in my airstream and it makes me sick to my stomach, but it must happen to save the windows. Unless I dream of some other magical plan while I am Zzzzzzing. Thanks again so much and I'll be back at it tomorrow. J
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
1964 Sovereign 30'

Greetings jhohnke!

Quote:
The phrase 105th off of the line refers to your coach's place in the model year's production. It is almost certainly a custom as the jalousies were not installed on the streetside except when special ordered by a customer -- may be the only custom feature -- then again, the coach may have several custom features.

The red (may be black on older coaches) numbers are Wally Byam Caravan Club International membership numbers that belonged to one of the previous owners. The numbers belong to the person and are not directly related to the trailer. The numbers can often be utilized to identify the coach's most recent owner.

My Overlander was considered a custom, but it didn't really have any immediately remarkable feature. The original owners of my coach began towing it with their 1957 Mercury that had been used to tow their early 1950s Airstream that had hydraulic drum brakes. My Overlander was ordered with one axle having hydraulic drum brakes and the other had electric drum brakes -- this was done to accommodate their desire to continue using their Mercury as a tow vehicle without requiring a new brake controller. This feature was removed in 1967 when the 1957 Mercury was traded for a new 1967 Mercury Monterey Coupe.

Your coach is certainly unique among the '64 Sovereigns. Those jalousie windows will really catch the breezes and keep the living room cool and comfortable. The standard windows provide good ventilation, but nothing comparable to the jalousies (IMHO).

Good luck -- and enjoy your special '64!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jalousie windows.

Most 1964 models used jalousie windows forward of the entrance door.

Because of that, there is considerable weakness in that area, since the metal extrusions of those windows offered little to no strength to the "monocoque construction."

Many of those models suffered fatigue cracks in the shell, because of excessive flexing.

Those windows can be easily be removed, additional main bow strength can be added, along with some stringers, and new style radius corner windows can be installed.

Both a single opening as well as a fixed window can be installed. If someone wishes, a stack window can be added as well.

The looks obviously change, but the flaw in the construction can easily be corrected, to stop any further excessive flexing, which then stops any fatigue cracks from occuring.

But, it must be done correctly, or else problems will still happen, both with the structure and water leaks.

Jalousie windows are famous for water leaks when in a hard wind driven rain.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Andy, fortunately I live in the desert

I have decided to keep all of the jalousie windows as they are so kewl! I have a local RV service man coming to the house tomorrow to advise me re getting some power. I am going to speak with him about putting in an entire new window above the bedroom bureau area. My helpy helper and I removed the cabinets (under and over) and countertop, (resized so it's shorter and not as deep) and we're reinstalling tomorrow and are reducing the size of the once full bed. The service area will then be in that mid section of the trailer. I did not want to disturb those windows on either side. I really like the way they look. This trailer will be immobile for most of it's life, unless my business fails and then I might have to live in it. (which isn't too bad of an idea) I dont' feel as stressed out about this as I did yesterday. It's so special I was afraid to "break" it or something.
Again I am grateful to all those on this site who have so much knowledge and support of each other. It's truly a blessing. Soo, I'm off to bed now, you fellas just stay up too late for my old bones. I'm a mornin' girl. So nighty night, don't let the ..........
J
Old 12-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #20

1964 30' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
New owner of a 1964 Sovereign

Hi all, I just bought this baby yesterday! Looking forward to joining the Airstream community. Airforums.com was a big reason I decided to buy an Airstream. Great to see so much support and camaraderie here.

She's a 1964 Sovereign, with jalousies on both street and curbside. Little did I know I got a "custom" one, based on some of the comments here.

Sadly, this Sov was gutted for a food trailer (a common practice here in Austin, TX). Virtually nothing works, so it'll be my "can of worms," as jhojnke calls it. )

Will post more pics soon!

http://www.twitpic.com/s5965
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 sovereign, 30', sovereign