Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Sleeping at the highway rest areas

My partner are heading to Yellowstone from Los Angeles in September. Does anyone know if it's legal to sleep in your camper while it's parked at the rest stop in Utah? It'll be a long trip and am looking for zero cost options for sleeping while on the trip there. Utah is sketchy enough for FOD and we'd like to minimize any problems from the friendly highway patrol folks there.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WildmanInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
As long as you park in an "Authorized" rest area such as truck stops/public rest area, you'll more then likely see other RV's there. Flying J's offer free overnights in the larger Stations (i.e. Barstow).

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would look for a Wal-Mart or Flying J instead. Some truckers think they own the rest stops and will do what they can to make your night's sleep miserable. Like lining the diesel engine up as close as possible to your trailer and letting it run. Not all, but there are always a few ah's in every crowd. It can be noisy anyway.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Truck stops and rest areas have trucks coming and going all night long. It can be very distracting if you are not used to it. However, you can't be much safer than tucked in between truckers. They are usually very friendly, and most of them hit the road in their own campers when they can.

Walmart is also a good place. Still it can be noisy but usually quiets down after 11 PM or so. Small town Walmarts are the best.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
We always run a fan, either in roof or stove fan to create even white noise, smooths the outside noises.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I once tried to get a nap to a Flying J. I lasted about an hour before the diesel fumes and truck drivers revving their engines ran me off. If I have to do that again I have really screwed up and misjudged my driving day.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Walnut Creek , California
There's a road that seems to zig and zag on itself off the highways in Utah called "Ranch Exit." I'm sure if it is after dark (and you leave relatively early) you could get some sleep off some of these exits.

"The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more." Jonas Salk
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We misjudge our travel days all the time. Following a travel regimen means we seldom discover new things, and when we do, would have little time to explore them.

Years ago there were many places to pull off for the night. More difficult and perhaps more dangerous today, so Walmart, Flying J, rest stops often have to do.

I would rate them as 1) Walmart - a decent nights sleep 2) Flying J - a chance of a decent nights sleep if there's parking space 3) Rest stop - slim chance of a decent nights sleep or parking space

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have stayed in rests stops a couple of times...not in UT, but when we have stayed we have noticed that there is usually a sign as to any restrictions...in NM it is 24 hours max. We have not been bothered by truckers, noise or any other unpleasantries getting a little shut-eye.

I'd also consider national forest campgrounds that you may be passing through or near by. They are relatively inexpensive and you can usually find a space for an overnight stop. Plus many of them have hosts which adds to the safety factor.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have never had any problems sleeping in our Airstream at Walmarts, rest areas or truck stops. I have also stopped in church parking lots, but usually I will just be in my car in that situation.

I don't see why you should have any problems.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
In North Carolina there may be a sign at Rest Areas stating no overnight parking. This is primarily intended to stop folks from parking and sleeping in cars. NCDMV stated in an email to me that in an RV or truck, there is no problem even if the sign is there. It is much safer to take a nap than drive while sleepy. And if questioned by a LEO, explain that you are tired and need sleep to drive safely. In most situations there should be no problem. At least in nearly 100,000 miles of RV travels, dozens of Rest Areas, truck stops, and Walmart's, I have had no issues.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote