Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to ttam
New TT!

Just picked up a 1975 24' Argosy last weekend... On the way back from picking it up in Longwood, FL we stopped at Sawmill for a 'shakedown night'... With the exception of the hot water heater not working, she did great!

I really need someone to help me thru all these systems though... Posted that need on another thread.

Going back to Sawmill this weekend for Mardi Gras - hope to see some of you there!

There's a beautiful (but HUGE) Excella for sale there...
ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy 26'. Glad to be of help in any way I can.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Hey TG Twinkie - thanks for the ping. I think it'll be alot easier to go through these things "first hand" rather than here online - are you in Nebraska or here?

My hot water heater pilot lights (though there appears to be a small leak at the fitting for the pilot), and I can get the heater running, but it shuts off after a minute or two. There's an audible 'click' as it shuts off - like the thermostat thinks it's hot enough or something. I think I have water in the heater (the hot water tap works), but as in all of these older units I don't know if a bypass has been put in or there's some other issue...
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So, an Argosy 24' trailer? Or an Argosy 24' moho like the one pictured in your avatar?

In any event welcome to the Argosy party.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam View Post
Hey TG Twinkie - thanks for the ping. I think it'll be alot easier to go through these things "first hand" rather than here online - are you in Nebraska or here?

My hot water heater pilot lights (though there appears to be a small leak at the fitting for the pilot), and I can get the heater running, but it shuts off after a minute or two. There's an audible 'click' as it shuts off - like the thermostat thinks it's hot enough or something. I think I have water in the heater (the hot water tap works), but as in all of these older units I don't know if a bypass has been put in or there's some other issue...
The water heater pilot wouldn't be controlled by the water-temp thermostat, but by a thermistor that needs to be heated by the flame from the pilot or it'll shut off gas to the pilot as a safety (I'm assuming you have an old-school water heater like mine, no electrical connections, since you refer to both "older" and "pilot light." Does the pilot stay lit when the main burner shuts off? Where do you have the temperature set? And what brand of water heater is it?

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
DKB: Trailer. Gonna change that Avatar...

I'm at work right now so I can't tell you the brand, but here's a description of what's happening: I can get the pilot lit with a lighter (turn the dial to 'pilot' and be patient), then I turn the dial to 'on' and WHOOSH - the burner is running! But it only stays on for a minute or two and shuts off. Usually the pilot goes out too...
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Pull the handle on the overpressure valve and make sure water comes out of the tank, this is the best way to make sure the water heater isn't bypassed.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
What color is the flame while the main burner is running, and is it a fairly constant whooshing sound or does it sputter some? When it flames out, is the outer door open, closed, or doesn't matter?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Thanks folks - I'll get back to ya when I'm at the camper...