Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Neat place for a Rally?

A former co-worker, who is now retired, but doing WorKamping, sent me this link.
Now this is a beautiful area to have a FOD Rally!

Spectacular Utah RV Park || Airstreams || Shooting Star
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvpark.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	140656  
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We were up in that neck of the woods in August with R2DTube ... (Lake Mead (NV), Zion (UT) and then North Rim of the Grand Canyon (AZ). The Shooting Star is in Escalante, UT, NE of Bryce. We decided to save Bryce, the Shooting Star and the eastern part of UT for another trip...there's so much to see in that part of the country... We'd be game!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We also would be interested ... given some advanced notice to allow for planning (in order to get vacation time from work). We know the owner and he is a really super nice guy! We are also familiar with one of his Airstreams that he owns and rents out on the property.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We'll sign up. Just say when!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Someone familiar with the weather conditions in that area when is the best time of the year? Living in Florida, I'd dearly LOVE to be somewhere that it's cool in the evenings, but warm enough during the day that the Rally could be mostly outdoors.
Also, besides the wonderful views that this campground has, are there any National Parks, etc. in the area that would make for a nice day trip?
3 day weekend, or a whole week?
You guys tell me. If I'm gonna do this, I've got a nice minimum 2 to 3 day drive to get to Utah.
Thanks, Derek
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Becky and I are interested. We've actually been talking about trying to do a Utah trip in the Bambi in November (Thanksgiving week) or December (between Christmas and New Years) 2012.

Here are some sites talking about the weather in different months in Zion Zion National Park, Utah. Zion Lodge and Weather and Climate of Zion National Park

Lynn
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Lynn, thanks for the URL. Will check out temps for various months and try to plan accordingly.
Thanks, Derek
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
I've emailed owner of campground asking for his opinion about weather and which months seem to be the best. Also have asked if there are any 'black-out' dates, because he's fully booked. When I hear back from him, I'll be sure to post here.
Thanks, Derek
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Since I've already asked if solo straights are welcome......me too!!!

Let's do it in 2012. Always wanted to visit this place; meeting fellow 'streamers -
all the more incentive.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
Becky and I are interested. We've actually been talking about trying to do a Utah trip in the Bambi in November (Thanksgiving week) or December (between Christmas and New Years) 2012.

Here are some sites talking about the weather in different months in Zion Zion National Park, Utah. Zion Lodge and Weather and Climate of Zion National Park

Lynn
Yikes! Late November to New Year would be out for us northerners. Too much risk of icy/snowy roads.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Yikes! Late November to New Year would be out for us northerners. Too much risk of icy/snowy roads.
I agree about icy/snowy roads. Betting the roads in Utah that time of year wouldn't be that great to drive on either.....
Old 10-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Winter camping in Utah depends a lot on the weather forecast and altitude. Bryce campgounds are mostly closed in the winter, because of snow and freezing temperatures (hookups freeze). Also, there are not enough campers to justify staffing during the winter. One of the National Park campgrounds just inside the entrance to Bryce is usually open; but in the winter, there will be no hookups and the dump station is closed. I think the campground at Ruby Inn is even closed. Check this National Park Service site for more information. However, it looks like the campgrounds were closed this summer for renovation: Bryce Canyon National Park - Camping in Bryce Canyon (U.S. National Park Service)

Zion is lower in altitude and it appears Watchman campground is open in the winter: Zion National Park - Operating Hours & Seasons (U.S. National Park Service)

Regarding southeastern Utah, we usually avoid this area in the winter. Some of it is Indian reservation land, and it is much more remote than the developed National Park areas in southwestern Utah. I suspect that there are fewer visitors in this area due to unpredictably harsher winter conditions, since this area is closer to the Rockies and the accompanying (sometimes) severe weather conditions.

The winters are mild in Phoenix, and it is surprising how only a couple of hundred miles north, it can be the dead of winter. If you are coming from Florida, you may wish to restrict your travels to areas a little further south, especially as the holidays approach, and through tax time.

There are lots of interesting things to see and do in southern Arizona and New Mexico, and the weather is much more accommodating. Daytime temperatures are usually mid-60s to low-70s with occasionally warmer weather; and night-time lows are usually in the mid-40's -- again depending on weather and altitude.

Suggestions for southern Arizona and New Mexico:

http://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm

http://www.desertmuseum.org/

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

http://www.nps.gov/whsa/index.htm

http://www.nmspacemuseum.org/content.php?id=9

http://www.alamogordo.net/photos/?categoryID=10
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey everyone,
Well it's looking as if I won't be doing much camping this year, or maybe most of next year. My motorhome has tires that are FAR too old to be going on any extended road trips. I know, I know, I should at least 'try' for a trip, but I think I'm going to hold out on the cautionary side of life. I dearly love my Airstream Classic motorhome, and couldn't imagine damaging it for being a hold-out on new tires. So, until an extra $2400 appears in my bank account, looks as if most of my 'travels' will be local.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Shoot! I was really getting excited about meeting up with you guys sometime in the near future, in a warm locale for the winter. I live in Oregon and would love to try a rally in Arizona or New Mexico before Thanksgiving. Anybody up for it? If not, no biggee but let's keep the dialogue going and hook up sometime down the road. Ciao!

Have a great day and may you have smooth roads ahead.

~Cari~
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Cari,
My problem is that I have no vacation time left for the year, well, 3 hours, but doubt that will get me to Arizona before Thanksgiving. Just knowing that fact kinda makes me sad, but then I realize that I have a job, a home, and a GREAT Airstream!
Thanks, Derek