Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Lifestyle?

Hi,

I'd like to know how many on this forum (FOD) are interested in moving this into another category like the Clubs, Organizations forum? Don't want to start a flame war and I really enjoy all the folks here but it seems to me that our community is not really a considered "lifestyle" like a group devoted to photography, or cooking, or pets. Being LGBTQ is an orientation not a lifestyle.

And some of us even love to cook for our pets while taking their pictures!

Appreciate feedback.

Happy camping!
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Everything about this forum feels uncomfortably dated to me. “Lifestyle”, “Friends of Dorothy”, I had to look that up. Almost seems like forum was designed/hidden away to appease the homophobic folks. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a gay person in the camping community. Why can’t it just be “LGBTQ Forum”.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #3

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
It works fine just the way it is.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I've heard minor complaints about this forum here and there, but much less than any type of forum I've ever been on. On thing I've not observed is this forum not being inclusive (and I mean that in any broad way you choose to take it). So I'm not sure where this is going.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Lifestyle?

Note that standing thread titles are chosen by the originators of the thread, and are up to them. Only time they get changed is by request or if the moderators have a rules issue.

This forum is generally very inclusive to all comers that try to be polite. True, it occasionally gets silly around the ‘big honkin pickup truck gang’ or the various ‘hitch system’ adherents, and a few other quasi-theological recurring arguments of that type.

In general, being polite and tolerant is a good idea anywhere nowadays.

Also consider that ‘aluminumitis’, as pervasive it is around here, is not by any means an orientation as much as it is a broadly experienced obsession on AirForums.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
On this forum I want to be known as an Airstreamer; not straight, not gay, not nerdy, or techy, not too big, not too small, not too loud, not too silent. Who even cares if I'm male or female?
I'm just someone asking questions, or passing on advice lent to me over the years by people of all stripes, sexual orientation, intelligence and experience.
I just take all of it, thank people profusely, and enjoy their company, in person, and online.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ditto. “On the Internet, no one knows you’re a dog!”

(My favorite cartoon caption below a drawing of a couple dogs browsing the internet on a computer!)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
2x this quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
On this forum I want to be known as an Airstreamer; not straight, not gay, not nerdy, or techy, not too big, not too small, not too loud, not too silent. Who even cares if I'm male or female?
I'm just someone asking questions, or passing on advice lent to me over the years by people of all stripes, sexual orientation, intelligence and experience.
I just take all of it, thank people profusely, and enjoy their company, in person, and online.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #9

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

[emoji106]
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #10

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
Everything about this forum feels uncomfortably dated to me. “Lifestyle”, “Friends of Dorothy”, I had to look that up. Almost seems like forum was designed/hidden away to appease the homophobic folks. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a gay person in the camping community. Why can’t it just be “LGBTQ Forum”.

[emoji107]
Old 02-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #11

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
Hi,

I'd like to know how many on this forum (FOD) are interested in moving this into another category like the Clubs, Organizations forum? Don't want to start a flame war and I really enjoy all the folks here but it seems to me that our community is not really a considered "lifestyle" like a group devoted to photography, or cooking, or pets. Being LGBTQ is an orientation not a lifestyle.

And some of us even love to cook for our pets while taking their pictures!

Appreciate feedback.

Happy camping!

[emoji107]
Old 02-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
The funny thing about change is that while we are always changing, and change is essential and inevitable and unstoppable, we seem to be resistant to change, perhaps because we think if we can stop change, we can live forever, Not realizing that no change would only mean no more growth and stagnation.

The term friends of Dorothy is a somewhat obscure reference to the movie the Wizard of Oz, which for a generation or two of primarily gay white American men was a touchstone film starring Judy Garland who for reasons not fully understood, became both an icon and friend of the gay community for the rest of her life. Garland died In 1969, over 50 years ago now.

Much is changed in the social landscape over the last 50 years in regards to recognition of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer identity, rights, and acceptance. After Stonewall, the aids epidemic, the implementation and repeal of don’t ask don’t tell, marriage equality, and the current struggle for transgender recognition, understanding, rights, and acceptance, younger members of this group enjoy a world veteran members could have hardly imagined.

In our society, the subset of people who own and enjoy airstream trailers and motorhomes is rather small, And the subset of that group who are members of the online airstream forums is smaller still. And the subset of that subset here in this sub forum would likely number in the dozens at most. Those of a certain age and life experience would recognize the subforum name, while those of a newer generation likely would not.

So the members here should discuss the scope and purpose of the subforum And take advantage of those aspects that are helpful, and discard or abandon those things that are not.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
The term friends of Dorothy is a somewhat obscure reference to the movie the Wizard of Oz, which for a generation or two of primarily gay white American men was a touchstone film starring Judy Garland who for reasons not fully understood, became both an icon and friend of the gay community for the rest of her life. Garland died In 1969, over 50 years ago now.
I always knew "Friends of Dorothy" to refer to Dorothy Parker, the 1920s columnist with the New Yorker; and basis for Rosalind Russel's portrayal of Auntie Mame. Dorothy Parker, as a NY socialite, threw some of the most extravagant parties during the roaring 20s in NYC, and at the time, when it was illegal to be a homosexual, people used the term "Friend of Dorothy" as a means to infer their sexuality in society.

“I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.” -- Dorothy Parker
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote