Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Baltimore , Maryland
Hello FOD!

My husband and I recently picked up our 26U from Colonial Airstream. (Great group up there, especially Patrick B.!) Like most of you, we are anxious to start our adventures but are currently waiting a bit for mother nature to warm up a little.

Other than the end of May rally, Aluminum Under the Rainbow, which we cannot attend, are there other meet-ups or rallies scheduled for FOD around the country?

If anyone lives in the MD, VA, PA, DE or WV area please let me know about the mid-atlantic possibilities. We'd actually be interested in any east coast activities as well. We did make a reservation at Coastal Acres Campground in Provincetown, July 14-21, 2016. We love Ptown and go almost annually. Coastal Acres is a very unusual campground in that ALL communications must be done by snail mail. You cannot call, email, text or even make an online reservation! All must be accomplished by mail. Oh yeah, they will accept faxes! Hard to believe in these days of instant everything that a business can still be successful the old fashion way! In a weird way, I kind of like it. But I don't want all businesses to run this way!

Thanks in advance for your advice and FOD info.

Take care,
Mike Robertson
mkr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Welcome:

Here is the rally we are planning on attending the Region 2 in Hammondsport, NY right on the Finger Lakes.

http://region2.wbcci.net/

We went to the one near State College PA last year and it was well done, interesting and enjoyable. We've been camping for 45 years, this is our third AS but last year was our first ever rally.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't know of any other regular FoD-focused events, but we've yet to attend an Airstream event where we felt like we weren't accepted like anyone else attending. We've been to forums-based rallies and WBCCI-based rallies and are members of a fairly modern and forward-thinking unit (the Heart of Texas Camping Unit) that's all about camping and not too concerned with pomp or ceremony, but we've camped with members of MANY other units and again always felt like part of the group.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to attend one of the Aluma* rallies (Alumapalooza, Alumafandango, Alumafiesta, Alumaflamingo, Aluminati (no wait, that last one's not right )) but I'm told they're fun events worth checking out.

Oh, and I've been to all but one of the Aluminum under the Rainbow rallies and it's worth a lot of effort to get to one! The only one we missed was traded for a celebratory Europe trip after my partner finished his degree.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are heterosexual, gay, lesbian and transgender Airstreamers at Forums rallies, some in matched pairs and some solo ...no one cares, and you would be welcome at any you chose to attend.

We are all more alike than we are different, regardless our sexual orientation.

Just get out there and enjoy yourselves.

Maggie.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Baltimore , Maryland
Thanks everyone for your responses. It is nice to know there are others are out there with acceptance and understanding of "all" people. I try to live by the golden rule but have found not everyone feels the same.

Take care,
Mike
mkr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Go out there, hold your head high, and be who you are.

Those that don't like it, don't matter.

I have never known of anyone, ever, who was discriminated against for any reason at an AirForums rally.

Join the community, and have a good time.

Maggie
Old 02-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
There are a lot of great events go out and enjoy them and if there are folks who do not like you it is there loss not yours. As Maggie said join the community and have a great time as life is to short not to have fun
John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Since you are new to the Airstream world, I would highly recommend the Alumapalooza rally in Jackson Center this coming May. Not only will you get to see where your new trailer was "born" but there are excellent seminars and you'll meet new friends for life. Plus it's an easy day's drive from your home base. I know that you will find Airstreamers a pretty welcoming group.

http://alumapalooza.com/
Old 02-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #9

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I have to agree with everyone on how welcoming this group is! We bought our Bambi over 6 years ago and our first rally was the Air Midwest group in Missouri. We were a little unsure how everyone would react to two gay guys and what we found is a bunch of friends! Some of our best friends today came from those rallies!

We started the FOD discussion page and there was interest in a rally so that's how it began and a lot of the regular attendees are from the Air Midwest group! Sign up for some rallies close to home and I'm sure you will make some great friends!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome Mike. Most are pretty welcoming but there is still the occasional fun sponge out there who doesn't tolerate our sort. The best thing to do is pity them and continue having fun while meeting all the other great Streamers' who are out there. And remember, if you want to travel with others, all you need to do is post here with a time and place and you're bound to have others join you to form a mini rally.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote