Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Travel w/Verizon Jetpack for Connectivity

Hi all,
We will be traveling w/laptop (Windows based) and smart phone (Droid based on Verizon plan). We would like to use laptop during family visit to go online. (They do not have internet). We are considering a Verizon Jetpack or the Verizon air card. Price does matter but ease of use, secure network and longevity may rank higher.
We welcome your experienced input on this tech matter.
Regards

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use a Verizon MiFi (Jetpack is a MiFi), along with an external antenna that plugs into it. The external antenna does two things:
1 - Gives me a stronger signal than if the signal had to penetrate the metal walls, sometimes as much as two bars greater; and
2 - Gives me greater range since it's mounted on the roof and line-of-sight is that much longer, useful for campgrounds on the edge of a cell coverage area.

When the external antenna by itself isn't enough, I also have a Wilson cradle booster that I got from Amazon. The cradle booster is an amplifier that plugs into the same external antenna (with an adaptor) to give me an even stronger signal.

The Jetpack will last a few hours on its own internal battery, and is pocket-sized for when I want to use my Android tablet at the picnic table or whatever, so I can take the Jetpack outside with me. When I use it with the external antenna, though, I usually plug in the Jetpack to a wall outlet as well.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We love our Verizon mi-fi, use it extensively, find it extremely reliable and seldom find areas where there is no signal.

Love it, highly recommend it.

Maggie
Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thank you all. For this trip we would just be using it in our family living rooms or hotel. (Henrietta is not ready to roll that far yet). In the future we will be using it on our AS travels. So for now could we just get the MIFI and add the antennae and possible booster later.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have a MiFi Jetpack and it does the job. I also use my Droid phone with the FoxFi app. The MiFi has a download limit, at least mine does.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but with connectivity I can call in air strike.

Once upon a time I could keep up with the nomenclature.. These days I need a tutor.

Can you post some pics and recommended antennae you mention? Or help this semi blind guy with the link?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks everyone here and on PM. Here is what I have learned, MIFI (Verizon Jetpack) is a good choice. $50 @ Verizon, $10. @Costco, good prices on Amazon. $70. a month at Millenicon unlimited data/gigs, 2G limit under current Verizon plan. Plan for antennae and booster in future. What does the Foxiapp do or accomplish.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Can you post some pics and recommended antennae you mention? Or help this semi blind guy with the link?
Bear in mind, for my Interstate a magnetic-mount works; for an aluminum Airstream trailer, you'll need some other type of mount…
Amazon.com: Novatel Verizon 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L external antenna and antenna adapter cable 5db: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 09-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
That was quick!!! Thanx!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Thanks everyone here and on PM. Here is what I have learned, MIFI (Verizon Jetpack) is a good choice. $50 @ Verizon, $10. @Costco, good prices on Amazon. $70. a month at Millenicon unlimited data/gigs, 2G limit under current Verizon plan. Plan for antennae and booster in future. What does the Foxiapp do or accomplish.
Allows you to use your phone as a hot spot. I have a phone with an unlimited data plan, but they want to charge extra for using the phone as a tether. Foxfi is a work around for that. I don't use it heavily, just when I cannot find a decent wifi signal.

Also as a note on antennas there are a variety of db gain, the higher the gain the better. Price goes up with the db gain.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We also use the Verzon MiFi device will excellent results...but we have not yet felt the need to get an external antenna or booster ... we are amazed at it's connectivity success ... in places we'd never expect to get a connection. Sometimes we have connected to the internet in places where we can't make a cell call! If you iare going to mostly be near cities & towns on along main thoroughfares, you probably won't need a booster. I'd experiment without the antenna or booster first, then get them if necessary.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
A great big Aluminum thank you to everyone. We are not very tech savvy but you have answered in clear language and explained it well. We will hold off on antenna, booster and Foxfi app for now. We will likely purchase MIFI Jetpack at Costco for price and ease of return. Then decide what provider to use. Our first use will be later this month helping elderly family members experience ONLINE. We will let you know how it worked out. Hopefully someone besides me picked up some tips also.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We don't have an antenna or booster, either, and our mifi is the only internet access we have, at home or on the road.

Maggie
Old 09-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I also use verizon mifi inside tin can with out ext. ant. or booster have always had good signal, better than at home w/tower 3/4 mile away
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have used the MiFi jetpack extensively and find it to be great. I have an external antenna that I usually plug into it, as I am at remote places very often, and have limited service without the external antenna. I just leave it in the Jeep most of the time I am camping, plugged into the rear 12 volt outlet for power. That way I can use it in the trailer when at the campsite, and if I go out sightseeing, the MiFi is with me in the Jeep and all I have to do is to grab the 'puter. It takes so little 12 volt power you can leave it on 24/7 for days and days with no danger of discharging the Jeep battery.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
We have used the Verizon for several years with great success. However, make sure in your travels you are not picking up a cell signal from Mexico or Canada. Very expensive lesson. We also use the Wilson Electronics cradle signal booster. About $150 from Best Buy or Amazon. It usually adds one or two bars and can make the difference.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Great responses everybody. Thanks for the imput.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
how can you tell if you are pinging off tower in Canada or Mexico if close to border ..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
We have used the Verizon for several years with great success. However, make sure in your travels you are not picking up a cell signal from Mexico or Canada. Very expensive lesson. We also use the Wilson Electronics cradle signal booster. About $150 from Best Buy or Amazon. It usually adds one or two bars and can make the difference.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
how can you tell if you are pinging off tower in Canada or Mexico if close to border ..??
In the WWAN settings for the device, you can tell it to "disable roaming." That's a good default mode, I don't think it's likely you'll find many places where Sprint has significantly better coverage than VZW, and that would likely be the only roaming option in the US.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Based on research and help from forum we ended up purchasing the verizon jetpack mifi from Costco for $10.00. We used it while on a road trip w/out trailer. It worked very well at relatives and in hotel. We stayed w/verizon as the provider and wrapped the gig usage into our cell plan for now. We may even consider getting rid of our landline / internet bundle at home and using the mifi at home also.Thanks for the good advice.

Hittenstiehl