Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Reflections?

Hi, all -

My husband and I will transition to FT workamping in the fall of 2022, and plan to slowly break in our new GT through spring and summer of next year. Iím wondering:

1. What do you wish you would have known before you started?
2. What advice do you have for someone making this transition?
3. Whatís your favorite thing about workamping?

Thanks so much!

Margaret
Old 05-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Following!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
More information would help. Are you planning on turning your full time jobs into ‘work from home’ and home will be on the road? Are you planning to find jobs on the road? Are you healthcare professionals planning on doing travel work? There are so many possibilities and what is helpful advice for one might not apply to another at all.
sterlinghick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Sterlinghick, thanks for asking for clarification. My husband will be running a marketing business - lots of phone calls and excel spreadsheets going back and forth; I’m a life coach so lots of Zoom calls. Home will be on the road.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air0801 View Post
Hi, all -

My husband and I will transition to FT workamping in the fall of 2022, and plan to slowly break in our new GT through spring and summer of next year. Iím wondering:

1. What do you wish you would have known before you started?

2. What advice do you have for someone making this transition?

3. Whatís your favorite thing about workamping?

Thanks so much!

Margaret

My wife and I have been living full time in our 27FBQ FC for 4 years after we retired from our professions, sold our house and most of our possessions.

The first 2 years we were stationary in an RV park and worked local taking several extended trips during that period. The last 2 years we have traveled 19,240 miles visiting 42 of the lower 48 as utility inspectors.

Answers to your questions.....

1. Getting rid of all your stuff is very liberating. Our only regret is not starting earlier.

2a. Stationary living in a RV full time is a fairly frugal existence. The challenge is finding a location you both enjoy that has all your interests nearby. Moving around the country is a challenge because everyone is doing it and there are not enough RV parks that can accommodate a month long stay. It is much more expensive in the more desirable areas like the mountains of Colorado or Bend Oregon. Most states limit your stay to 14 days during a 28 day period in their state parks.

2b. It will be very challenging for both of you to work in the same space at the same time. Maybe one can work in
the truck and the other in the Airstream.

2c. Practice. Pick a campground 2-3 hours away for 2 weeks or longer to make sure you can really do this. You will learn what you must have and how much you can actually do without.

2d. Figure out your work communication system. Campground WiFi sucks. The more remote you camp, the further a you will be from a sell tower. Educate yourselves on mobile routers, cell phone boosters, directional antennas and data plans.

3. Seeing the country. Finding really cool ocean front, lake shore or mountain view back in campsites. Visiting local breweries, wineries, distilleries, and gun ranges.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
I’ve never done life on the road, but I’ve had a traditional corporate job and worked from home for years. My advice:
1. Set limits on your working hours. Otherwise, you will find that work takes over.
2. Accept that your technology (internet connections, phones) will fail and probably at the worst possible moment. Think long and hard about contingency plans.
3. Think about how you (and particularly your spouse) will maintain both personal and professional relationships when you don’t see people in person. It is so much easier for email to create misunderstandings than face to face conversations. I’m a natural introvert and loved working home, but I have extrovert friends that it drives crazy. If you add in the stresses of being on the road and away from your comfort zone, having friends other than your spouse becomes critical.
4. Set an agreed on time limit (3 or 6 months) where you will sit down and talk about whether this is working for both of you.
5. When I was young, I traveled pretty extensively in the US. I can remember vividly the extreme culture shock of coming from the north east and finding out how different areas of the country live. Just understand that there really is a difference and don’t get frustrated when people don’t move at your pace.

Best wishes!
sterlinghick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Thank you so much! You’ve confirmed many of our thoughts based on the research we’ve done. We weren’t really thinking of RV parks prior to this, but like you, that may be a good transition method for us. Your utility inspector jobs sound like a good match for your lifestyle, too.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Thanks for your insights! This won’t be the first time we’ve lived on the road; we were digital nomads back in the late 90s, before it was cool, and spent about two years living in Extended Stay Americas with what would fit in the back of our sedan. We’re both working FT from home now and have been for 3 years for him, nearly a decade for me. It will be different to be in such a small space again, albeit nicer than an Extended Stay, lol. One of the best parts was seeing how other parts of the country lived and worked and played, for sure!