Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Parked on Concrete for 3 months

We are newbies to full-timing and are going to Amazon in KY for 3 months. Parked on a concrete lot.

Would love a list of things to do to take care of our AS. Hubby is not capable of the Amazon walking so he will be the caretaker of trailer and puppy.

Help!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I guess I am not sure what you are asking. We store our camper for longer than 3 months on concrete with no problems. ( Other than camping withdrawal)
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
There are claims of problems with tires sitting still on concrete for months at a time. We stow ours on side yard concrete pad with indoor/outdoor carpet under tires. We also put a mousetrap under it, and a couple ant traps to keep 2 most common and unwelcome critters away from it..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
You put a mousetrap just on the ground under the Airstream? What a good idea, does it work?
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Well, I can understand flat spots. Our Shelby gets flat spots after a winter stored, but they even out pretty quickly. The trailer is no high performance vehicle, so not so much of a problem.
As for critters, if you have a dog, mice shouldn't be much of a problem. For bugs, we use Home Defense. It is safe for children and pets once it dries and lasts quite a long time.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Here's what the Bridgestone Truck Tires website has to say about long-terms storage of tires on concrete, with some parenthetical comments by me:
Quote:
Concrete is not the tire enemy some people think it is.
We would recommend the following steps in storing a vehicle:
1. Make sure the floor / ground surface is free of any petroleum product contamination (Oil, grease, fuel, etc.) since petroleum products will attack rubber and can cause significant damage to compound characteristics.
(This means storing you Airstream on concrete is better than storing it on asphalt, which is chock full of petroleum products)
2. Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water.
3. Place a barrier such as plastic, cardboard, or plywood between the tires and the ground surface. (This doesn't make sense to me; if concrete is not the tire enemy some people think, as noted earlier, why use a barrier? Still, cardboard is cheap, and it can't hurt)
4. Cover your tires to block out direct sunlight and ultra violet rays.
5. (Text deleted)
6. Make sure your tires are fully inflated with air.
7. When the vehicle is ready to go back into service, inspect the tires for excessive cracking in both the sidewall and tread area and check all tire air pressures. Tires will normally lose about 2 PSI per month so you should expect to find the pressures lower than when you put the vehicle into storage. Re-inflate the tires to the correct air pressure before operation.
Now, about the effects of time:
(Text deleted)
However; the most likely effect of storage will be:
1. Flat spotting of the tires from taking a 'set' while sitting in one position for an extended length of time. This 'set' may work itself out of the tires after being put back into operation, but not always. This, of course, would result in a vibration. (All the more reason to keep the tires fully inflated)
2. Tires have waxes and oils specially formulated to protect against ozone damage built into their rubber compounds. (Related to UV exposure; ozone is naturally created by exposure of atmospheric oxygen to ultraviolet light) When the tire rotates and flexes, these waxes and oils are forced to the tire's surface and are thus able to protect the tire. When a tire is stationary, these waxes and oils are not coming to the surface and thus the tire is at greater risk of ozone damage.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
3. Place a barrier such as plastic, cardboard, or plywood between the tires and the ground surface. (This doesn't make sense to me; if concrete is not the tire enemy some people think, as noted earlier, why use a barrier? Still, cardboard is cheap, and it can't hurt)

Maybe ground means dirt/grass to them.....

Bob
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
We were stationary for 5 months while doing volunteer work in Everglades Nat Park. We found you need to take more time/care in flushing out black tank so sediments don't collect. We've never had problems before when traveling but without motion the toilet paper seemed to collect and resisted leaving the tank. Just take more time in flushing.
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just park it, chock it, check the tires are fully inflated, put tire covers on, and enjoy your visit.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks for all the tips. We were thinking of using our leveling blocks. Not sure if that is a good idea. We will be living in the trailer the entire time.

For critter deterrent we use cotton balls and peppermint oil. Heard though a product called Fresh Cab is great. For those little ants we use Terro Ant Poison. Since we hit the road in February 2013 we have had both problems..guess just real lucky! At least it is under control now :-)

thanks for the tire info..great advice
Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
For those little ants we use Terro Ant Poison.
When I stayed at Lake Seminole earlier this year, they had an Argentine Ant infestation. At the gatehouse, they handed out leaflets to all new arrivals suggesting that campers use Comet cleanser (the bluish powder) placed around all of the tires, stabilizer jacks, and any points of ground contact. I also put some around the legs of the picnic table. Worked great, and a lot cheaper than ant poison. And even after a light rain, if you can still see the Comet on the ground, there's still enough there to do the job, so you can easily tell when it's time to add more. When you're ready to vacate the campsite, just scatter any remaining residue with a broom.

I'm told, but haven't tried it yet, that flea collars wrapped tightly around the shore power cord, fresh water hose, and your slinky (in my case a macerator pump hose) just before they enter your RV will keep ants from getting onto your RV from your service connections. I plan to pick up flea collars before my next trip to try it out. Certainly can't hurt!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I tried the Comet thing around stabilizers..didn't work for me. Terro is something the worker ants eat and bring back to the queen. Took over a week to never see anymore ants. Now if I see one I put it out..just a couple of drops on cardboard.

Can be found at Walmart.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I tried the Comet thing around stabilizers..didn't work for me.
Survival of the fittest… ants that are tougher than Comet cleanser deserve to live!

But before dismissing the suggestion (which did work for me) did you put it around the tires and tongue jack as well, or just the stabilizers? Not implying any criticism here, just curious as to why our experiences were different.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
You guessed it..just stabilizers but that is where I saw them.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Over 13 years

We have been full-timing and Workamping for nearly 14 years, most jobs have been at least 3 months (this will be our 4th year at Campbellsville). we had the same concerns as you about long term sitting when we started. Bottom line: 3 months is not really considered "long term storage" per several tire companies.

Use of plastic "leveling blocks" is good to prevent the tires sitting in the water when it rains (better than wood, but wood is ok, just heavier). Cover the tires to minimize UV damage. And relax, have a glass of wine.

What park will you be at? We will be at Three Springs Resort in a silver cousin ('86 Avion). Nice big sites, QUIET!, No one bugging you to come join this activity after a long day of work, and the owners are nice.

FWIW: we have always had dogs, and the mice have visited us in the past. They didn't mind the dog They quit coming around 'cause we left some "special food" out for them on their runs. Gee, didn't mean to offend them.
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We are staying at Heartland. Hubby will not be working so thought best to get some place close enough to walk.

Looking forward to stopping for three months. Dont know what to expect but hoping for a wonderful experience. Thanks for all the tips. Would love to meet up sometime. My start date is 9/23.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
We are staying at Heartland. Hubby will not be working so thought best to get some place close enough to walk.

Looking forward to stopping for three months. Dont know what to expect but hoping for a wonderful experience. Thanks for all the tips. Would love to meet up sometime. My start date is 9/23.
Heartland was all gravel with water valves in small pits. But it is level and within walking distance. We start the 9th & we will keep an eye open for your arrival.
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks..looking forward to the whole experience