Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Good Times!

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Jasper , Georgia
Anyone use the OnStar Data plan?

Hello. Haven't seen any recent discussions on the OnStar data plan on this site. Does anyone happen to use it? If so, how's the coverage? Curious to know if you can connect even in remote areas such as National Parks in Utah. I am working from the road and need a way to connect my laptop to the internet. Thanks as always!
great2beadaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We used it last year for 3 months trial period however we weren't camped in any obscure areas. We did however use it on a couple of non trailer trips in notorious low cell coverage areas. My wife loved being able to play her games the whole trip ( doesn't drive) and look up info pertaining to the trip.
I've let it lapse but if we ever headed out to a remote area I would subscribe again for safety.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
So far we've only used it during the free period that came with the purchase of the truck, but it worked well on the east coast from South Florida to New Jersey and back. AT&T is the carrier, and we plan to purchase by the month when we are on the road with the trailer.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Courtenay , British Columbia
Covid and Onstar

We were a week into our monthly GByte allotment when the virus sent us packing . I cancelled the plan for the following months and then thought that maybe Onstar should step up and be a little more flexible in their use it or lose it policy as we had a considerable amount of unused data.
Gave them a call this morning and although they won't put a hold on the unused data they did give me 3 GBytes of free data when the current plan expires. As well they gave me 2 months free on my regular onstar security plan.
It wasn't what I wanted but at least they listened and did something.
I was curious if any others had similar experiences?
Aircanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
How ironic, I just got three free months of Onstar and free Wifi from GMC. Couple that with cheaper fuel prices and a mandate to stay home.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
So those who have used it, were you able to use it from inside the AS? I know all the issues with trying to get a wifi signal out of the trailer but any feedback of being inside the trailer and getting on from the spot in the TV. Was it stronger than the pubic wifi if one was available?
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
On Star Data Plan

We have used the On Star Data Plan for two years now. You can use the plan anywhere you can get XM radio. That is about everywhere. I have downloaded Netflix movies, watched Lester Holt. It takes a little longer to download a movie than at home. I can use it in the airstream. It works best if you are setting close to the truck. Keep in mind the truck ignition has to be no to use the data. I normally set in the truck when using it. $24.00/mo.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
So those who have used it, were you able to use it from inside the AS? I know all the issues with trying to get a wifi signal out of the trailer but any feedback of being inside the trailer and getting on from the spot in the TV. Was it stronger than the pubic wifi if one was available?
We turn on the OnStar data plan when traveling and to turn it off when home. Main reason is that Campground WiFi is often worthless and we can use the OnStar data when boondocking. We have to leave the key in Accessory" position in the truck so the OnStar data is enabled, but have been able to connect our laptops inside the trailer to it. It seems to work better if we can park the truck beside the traier rather than in front, but most of the time it does work in front, just not always.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
BTW OnStar uses AT&T 4G LTE, same as your phone if you have AT&T, and only works if you have service where you are.
DrivingDan is offline   Reply With Quote