Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird
Hi, I asked our dealer about the 27' with 2 AC units and here is her response:

The 27’ FB and 28’ being able to have a 2nd air conditioner is a new option for Airstream. (Previously available only on the 30’ and 31’ as you mentioned). Since Airstream has increased the units to 15,000 BTU for the main unit a 2nd AC is not always necessary. The advantage to having one AC unit is that you remain on 30amp service versus 50amp. With a 30’ or 31’ a 2nd air conditioner is necessary since the hallway is long and it is difficult to get one AC to push all that air towards the bedroom. In a 27’ the AC is more centrally located for air flow throughout.
There is no difficulty in getting the air back to the bedroom. My 30' unit has a center bath which has two wooden pocket doors (one at the bedroom, one at the living area) which could be closed. The air conditioner sits just forward of the center bath area. Even though both doors are cut to allow air passage, I could potentially see some restriction. So if you keep those doors open, you will have no issue in getting air to the rear of the trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Travler

2019 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Hickory , Pennsylvania
Our local dealer has two 27FB Classics in stock, one with 2 AC and the other with the standard 1 AC. When asked which we should consider, he said that 1 has worked for 80 years, and that having both wasn't necessary.
TravelerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I towed a 25' with a 97 F150 with a 4.6 liter engine for a while. It towed okay, but not much power. I would think if your 150 is speced right for towing it will tow it okay. We now tow with a 2500 diesel. Get some sort of locking cover for the truck bed. Helps gas milege and gives a lot of fairly dry space.
We do okay on space. We have no children. I am amazed at what some people carry though. We carry 2 folding chairs and a folding table in the trailer storage compartment. 2 more in the back of the trunk. Generator sometimes. Spare trailer tire in the truck. A pack of wax fire logs. A plastic box in the truck with links blocks, hitching stuff, chocks. Plastic box in the truck for groceries. That is actuall about it. (No grill). Room left for golf clubs and a ton of fishing stuff. Sometimes I carry back more than we left with. Have bought hoses and extension cords when needed on a trip. When you are on the road you have access to anything that Walmart sells.
We have one air conditioner. I have been where I might have turned another one on for a while. Our general plan is to try to avoid hot areas at hot times of the year.
You are correct in assuming the skin of the Airstream gets hot and does not reflect heat as well as a pure white trailer. Park in the shade if you can. Deploy the awnings ASAP on the sunny side. If you only have one airconditoner turn it on ASAP. You have a better chance of keeping it cool than cooling it down after it gets heat soaked. At least that is the way it feels to me.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The glory of having to roof airs is this-since they are loud- when you are in the bedroom sleeping you can run the living room air or when you are in the living room you can run the bedroom air. In hot weather I will run both if I am connected to 50 amp service. Last week I was connected to 30 amp service so I just ran 1. Both roof air units are heat pumps also and they work great. The trailer was so nice and warm. 2 humans and 1 cat really enjoyed it.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I notice that most the replies you got are not from other 27FB owners, are not about your trailer storage questions, and go more into whether or not you need two air cons. Like, you're NOW going to take their advice and remove one?

We've now got about a month total in a 2011 27FB. My last RV with wheels ( not counting boats) was a 26 ft. Fleetwood Jamboree Class C, that had lots of lockable outside storage. So the difference between that and the 27FB is pretty obvious to me. We live outside the US and store the trailer in CO so we don't own a tow truck yet. So we don't have the option of loading up the back of an F-350 with stuff. We're limited to the trailer, and the open bed of a rental truck.

The storage so far has been adequate, with some careful planning. We use a small propane grill, Coleman, that fits under the front bed. We keep the power cable, jack stands, and heavier tools in that same lockable space. So far, the slide out drawer under the dinette seat closest to the door is holding the smaller tools and supplies I need to grab on a more frequent basis. The rear bumper storage only has some dirty stuff in it that I figure nobody would be interested in stealing, since that space doesn't lock. As far as internal storage for clothes, kitchen supplies, food, etc. there's more than enough. It's heavy stuff and big toys that start complicating thing.

This year we bought two folding full size mountain bikes. We fold them up and put them in the trailer for storage, and cable lock them to the trailer tongue while we're in the trailer. Not ideal, but it works.

I'd love to add an 18 ft. Hobie Tandem Island, but the problem of where to store it while we're living in the trailer is still something to be worked out. Also, where to store it when the trailer's in storage. There's no place big enough on the 27FB to store a Honda 2000 genny, which is a real shame. I did talk to one owner who stores one inside a plastic tub inside the trailer when they are not using it. Not ideal.

My opinion is that your best approach is to either add some kind of sliding shelf to the bed of your truck, or get a camper shell with side access and good locks. Things like boats, bikes, chairs, grills, generators, etc. would best be carried locked up in your truck.

It's a shame nobody builds a good 4x4 van with a diesel and tow package.

Tags
2012 classic, 2013 classic