Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Yakima , Washington
May have bent axle - 2012

After reading the post regarding separation with Marathon tires, we decided to have them replaced. The tire dealer found that one of the tires was bald on the inside and was about to separate. They know which side of the trailer it came off but not which axle. We called the Airstream dealer and told them about it. They told us that they would take measurements and send them into Dexter. Dexter would then send a replacement and inspect the old one. If they can't find anything then the cost of replacement will be on us.

Have any of you had this issue? If so can you tell us what you did about it and how that went?

Any and all comments will be appreciated.
Mike-Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
These trailers can have the axles aligned at a competent frame or alignment shop.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
There are ways to check for a bent axle. In my case used a long aluminum strap on edge. Indeed I did have a bent axle.

I took it to a recommended alignment shop and was told that 1) due to the recessed nature of the axle, he could not get the necessary leverage to align it and 2) Mine was bent to such a degree it could not be straightened.

I was sure I did not hit anything and the worn tire (like yours) occurred very early in the life, about 3,000 miles as I remember.

I went round and round with Airsteam but it did not get me very far. Consider yourself lucky that they are willing to replace it if damaged.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The axles New from the factory can often be out of alignment because of the way they are made. The four rubber rods are hand fitted into the axle tube with the spindle assembly. No alingement is attempted after that.

The quickest way to check the alignment is to place an 8 ft florescent light bulb along the center line of the wheels and check that all tire edges touch the bulb. If any tire edge fails to touch the tube that axle is out. These axles can be realigned by a TRUCK alignment shop while on the trailer. An Airstream dealer can only replace them because they do not have the equipment to realign.

Alignment is a give and take operation effecting both side of the axle so you have to find a shop that does this on a regular bases or you are wasting your money.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Yakima , Washington
Had the dealer look at the axle. They checked it out and determined it was the tire pressure not the axle. We had already replaced the tires so will keep an eye on them but feel like that may have been the problem.
Mike-Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Gloria View Post
Had the dealer look at the axle. They checked it out and determined it was the tire pressure not the axle. We had already replaced the tires so will keep an eye on them but feel like that may have been the problem.
The dealer's assessment surprises me a bit.

I recently did some reading on tire wear patterns because my tires were badly worn - now changed.

From what I read on numerous websites - many supported with descriptive diagrams or photos - they said that a tire worn on one side only was most likely indicative of an alignment problem, whereas overpressure would result in excessive wear at the centre of the tread and under pressure would show up by excessive wear on both the inside and the outside of the tread.

That all seemed logical to me.

My tires very much showed the inside / outside wear pattern. I discussed this with our local AS dealer who told me that he also felt to was pressure related but that if the wear was on one side only, then an alignment check would be warranted.

I have the new tires on now and plan on running at higher pressures - we'll see how it goes.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Axle alignment

Most torsion axles are aligned when manufactured, at least by a couple of companies.

Having a bend near the middle of the axle tube, confirms that alignment process.

The alignment is done by a machine such as this one.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 classic, 2013 classic