Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Euless , Texas
Filling Propane

I apologize if this is already discussed somewhere on here, but I certainly couldn't find it anywhere when I tried to search the topic. Basic question I have is how do you fill your propane tanks? I feel a bit silly asking, but I'm trying to imagine maneuvering 40# propane tanks around. I think they would weigh about 160 pounds each. We are close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 Classic and this has been a topic of conversation with my wife and I. Thanks!
gesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
I searched for the same thing the other day with a google search. Short answer is most people remove them. Some campgrounds will fill them if you set them in front of your trailer after arranging it with them. Some places will fill them on your trailer. Search and add the term "airforums" to your google search and youlll see a more thorough discussion. Hope you get that Classic!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
A 40# propane cylinder refers to a cylinder that can hold 40 pounds of propane when full. The cylinder itself, if it's aluminum, probably weighs less than 20; steel cylinders weigh more. (Check it by looking at the cylinder's collar and reading the number after TW). Your total weight of each filled cylinder will be 40+TW.

Lynn
Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
You don't have to fill them all the way, just tell them half in each, makes them easier to lift. I have a small, folding 2-wheel dolly I keep in the AS closet. It has hard rubber wheels so you need an asphalt or concrete road/sidewalk to pull it. It's very handy, I use one tank at a time, when one is empty I switch to the other, remove the empty and load onto my dolly. I drag it up to the front of the park if they sell propane. If not, I put it in the back of my SUV, bracing it with stuff to keep it from turning over.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Just had to fill one for the first time

Our first tank lasted almost a year. When it ran out I switched to the other tank, and then once we got home I took the empty one to a local place that sells grills and propane. My 30# tanks fit almost perfectly into a plastic milk carton, which holds it in place while driving. I was charged $27 for the 30# tank fill up, which seemed fair to me.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
They aren't that heavy. Not much more than the standard BBQ tank. I just remove the empty one and take it to the refilling place.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Flying J truck stops sell propane at at very competitive price. An empty 40 lb tank usually costs about $28.

The propane station is well marked out to the side of the gas pumps area and you can pull your rig right along side the fill tank, lift the empty tank off, have it filled, then put it right back on.

Some of them even have a call box at the fill station so you can call and they send an attendant out. Once filled, he records the amount on an invoice which you just take inside a pay. Quick, convenient, and priced right.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I don't know if there are Tractor Supply stores in your area but down here they have by far the cheapest propane prices and great service.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Unless you have some physical disabilities, they are really not that difficult to handle. Are you sure they are 40#? I think 30# is more typical - at least that is what is on our 1005 Classic.

I'm a pretty small guy and getting up in years but they present no problem at all. You may be pleasantly surprised!

When we first got our AS, I though you had to open the top of the SS housing and lift the bottles out - seemed like a chore! In fact you don't, the SS cover lifts off the bottles!

If you do have a condition that precludes you from handling them, I would guess that in most cases you will find a neighbour at any campground you are at who more than willing to end a hand - I surely would and I think most people would.

Another option if you are really concerned might be to have the larger bottles swapped out for standard 20# BBQ size bottles - just a matter of a slight modification to the hold down rod I would think. Maybe you could make that deal when buying your trailer.

As mentioned, some campgrounds have an arrangement with a propane company on certain days of he week to come around to fill bottles, but they generally expect you to remove the bottle and leave it at the curb for them - they fill and leave it there.

Someone above suggested you could ask for only a half fill. Could be, but the few places I have been at will charge for a full fill whether your bottle is completely empty or not.

I generally don't use the auto changeover valve on our bottles so as to ensure that ne bottle is indeed completely empty when I get it filled. Our aluminum bottles have mecanical gauges on the as well as a connected remote readout in the trailer, but they don't seem that accurate!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Euless , Texas
OK! I'm a little embarrassed right now. I want to thank you all for responding to my stupid question about the 40# lp tank. I was thinking 40 gallons which would equal 160 lbs and.....oh well. Thanks for indulging me! Lol
gesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Best place to get tanks filled is Costco. They charge you the going rate and don't gouge you. You should not have to pay more than about $15 for a 30lb tank. Propane right now is less than $2 a gallon and a 30# is about 7 gallons. 40# is probably closer to 10 gallons. Ace Hardware is not bad either. The propane companies really rip you off.

The big user or propane is the furnace. Otherwise, a tank will last a long time.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Our storage facility will refill the tanks as part of their service package. Their price is reasonable and the service is a handy solution. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
When you take the tank covers off its not hard to get a tank down unless you have some sorta physical limitation with lifting. a full 40 lb tanks weighs close to 55 which is not all that heavy. If you stand up by the tank and lift straight up with both hands and swing it off the support they are easy to handle.

30 lbs = 7 gallons of LP, which in my area is like 1.99 gallon. get them filled for 15 bucks with tax. LP is like car gas. the price can vary a lot depending on where you are. Camping worlds tend to be a bit higher it seems.

If you are not using furnace a lot they (tanks) do last a good long while. If you are in areas that are colder think about the camco olympic wave 6 heaters.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

quiet and low gas usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Our first tank lasted almost a year. When it ran out I switched to the other tank, and then once we got home I took the empty one to a local place that sells grills and propane. My 30# tanks fit almost perfectly into a plastic milk carton, which holds it in place while driving. I was charged $27 for the 30# tank fill up, which seemed fair to me.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Glen Allen , Virginia
Our prior rig was a 40' coach and they filled the tank up while we waited at the park or gas station. They do not weigh the propane and measure the volume. I am sure the parks would fill the tanks while mounted on the trailer.

2017 Classic
2014 RAm Eco Diesel
Jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The 30 ;b Al tanks weight about 15 empty and 45 or so full. Many campgrounds come with a golf cart and take the bottles and fill them and put them back on. Tractor supply is generally the cheapest place to buy propane and they will come out in the lot and take the bottles off and on for you. Lots of things to worry about, but propane refilling is not a big problem. I use and fill mine one at the time and do the switch over manually so I know I always have a full bottle in reserve.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Someone above suggested you could ask for only a half fill. Could be, but the few places I have been at will charge for a full fill whether your bottle is completely empty or not.

Brian.
I wouldn't buy from anyone that didn't sell it by the gallon, like U-Haul or Suburban Propane. If my 30 lb. tank still has propane and I can't lift 50 or so lbs. but they're going to charge me for it just the same, I'll go elsewhere.

If you are buying it 'by the tank' you don't know how much they are putting in there unless there's a meter on the filler, just like the gas pump has. A 20 lb. tank holds 4.7 gallons and should weigh ~37 lbs. (20 lbs. propane at 4.2 lb./gallon and tare weight of the tank is ~17 lbs.)

Some refill stations will put in only 75% or 15 lbs.. Blue Rhino and Costco usually put in only 15 lbs., according to one website I found. (His personal experience, but he posts the receipts.) No one cheated him but putting in 15 lbs. will make a fill up seem cheaper compared to one at 20 lbs., so you can't always go by the sign that says "$xx for 20 lb. cylinder. Check the price per gallon and ask how much they will put in.
https://www.orangecoat.com/the-truth...-propane-tanks
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I am with Bill on this one. I fill up at campgrounds when one of the tanks goes empty. Usually someone from the campground comes over picks the tank up, fills it and brings it back, puts it on and hooks it up. I watch to be sure. If they don't have someone, I wait for the next campground.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Filling Propane

Some of the GPS/Map service smartphone apps (and RV Park apps) have locators for propane distributors.

I'd rather use Flying J to buy diesel and get propane. I'd call ahead, as well as I'm not entertained at finding either disabled RV pumps or the station being without a licensed tech at my arrival.

Other than this I like UHaul as I can usually maneuver my 63' rig at their larger centers (and I check satellite photos in advance), plus they tend to be at the edge of major metro areas on IH loops.

In short, I try to combine propane re-fuel with other necessities. I might call out for a meal delivery if at that UHaul. Or walk across the road for a meal. Just for some variety. Stop also at Costco or Central Market. Etc.

When parked long term, and without campground service, I simply stand and secure an empty tank in the back of my pickup to go to the local supplier. And, yes, the 40-lb aluminum tanks ARE heavy to move when full. Proper shoes and gloves.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote