Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I'm looking into changing out all my fluorescent lights to LED. Fluorescent lights give me migranes and could induce a seizure. Currently, I have a cheap fix. I put lite blue film over the lense so as to diffuse the frequency. I watched the video posted earlier. Went to the web site and looked at what was available. It looked like to replace the tube bulbs would be around $90 each... ouch. I'm not much for being so handy to assemble one myself. Has anyone bought these replacement fixtures? And can I get any thing with a dimmer switch?
lightng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng View Post
I'm looking into changing out all my fluorescent lights to LED. Fluorescent lights give me migranes and could induce a seizure. Currently, I have a cheap fix. I put lite blue film over the lense so as to diffuse the frequency. I watched the video posted earlier. Went to the web site and looked at what was available. It looked like to replace the tube bulbs would be around $90 each... ouch. I'm not much for being so handy to assemble one myself. Has anyone bought these replacement fixtures? And can I get any thing with a dimmer switch?
I just did this: LED’s again | Nuestra casa rodante - Our Airstream, travels and such...

You just have to be a bit handy...

I think my total cost to do 9 fluorescent fixtures was under $40 if you don't cost out the time.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have installed two kinds of conversions: one replaces just the fluorescent bulbs in the original sockets and the other consists of strips that mount with double sided tape.

It is best in both cases to clip the wires to the ballasts to insure that there isn't any parasitic current drain from that source. Both conversions required attaching wires to the power and ground near the switch on the end of the fixture using included tap connectors. Both conversions took about 15 minutes and were equally easy.

I don't know about dimming: I'm just glad that the conversions are brighter than the tubes and come on instantly in the coldest conditions.

The strip conversion cost about $50/light while the bulb conversion (available at the Airstream store) cost about $60/light.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We've converted all of our Fluorescent fixtures to LEDs and love them!

Tags
2011 classic