Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Lake Havasu , AZ
Best year Classic?

AS newbie but 4 year full-timing couple... Question likely asjed 1000x before. What is the best year(s) for the classic 30/31?

We started in nice Monaco DP coach and presently in 39' Arctic Fox 5th wheel we really like but want to downsize and start traveling more.

We're not sure an Airstream is the right choice but nonetheless intrigued by them and want to see what all the hype is about.

We are mid 50s couple and know we want to downsize and believe in the less is more mentality. I spent 10 years in fast attack sunbarines therefore as AS seems like the logical choice lol. And I'm a life-long Harley fan so perhaps we fall into the AS stereo type.

I've purchased enough RV's, cars/trucks/toys to k iw the cons of buying new. We are if the simpme/stupid mentality vs state of the art. We like stuff that works and is reliable.

I was horrified when I discovered Thor purchased Airstream some years ago. Perhaps that is the answer to my question?

So what are the best years of the classic I should be shopping for? I have OCD when it comes to condition, maintenance, etc so whatever we buy needs to be like new condition.

Lastly what is the standard area in the forum I can seek an AS inspection guru? Presently I'm looking at a 2014 in Salt Lake city and will likely want it inspected before I drive 10 hours to see it... Assuming it falls into the best years list

Tia
wingingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingingit View Post
I was horrified when I discovered Thor purchased Airstream some years ago. Perhaps that is the answer to my question?

Tia
You realize "some years ago" was circa 1980, right? When Thor was created to buy Airstream from Beatrice Foods?
Old 04-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingingit View Post
AS newbie but 4 year full-timing couple... Question likely asjed 1000x before. What is the best year(s) for the classic 30/31?
The 31' was stopped in 2013 or 2014. We have a 2012. Look at the different floorplans also 30 vs 31 and that will determine your year. I liked the large storage wardrobe and the bathroom completely on one side of the trailer, hence we have 31. They are the same length, however.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Lake Havasu , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You realize "some years ago" was circa 1980, right? When Thor was created to buy Airstream from Beatrice Foods?
Thanks. I didn't realize it was that long ago.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Thor

Beatrice Foods was so eager to sell Airstream that the corporation loaned the purchase price to the newly formed "Thor Industries". Thank goodness for the two guys that took a huge chance in 1980 to save Airstream. Remember, 1980, just at the end of the Carter presidency and interest rates were in the 15% plus range. Without Thor there is no Airstream. Yes, there are ongoing quality problems. I will take on the issues with an Airstream rather than a brand that is basically worthless when it is 10/15 years old. Happy hunting.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I like the 2016 Classic. It has lights in the overhead compartments that 2015 doesn’t have. This is also the last year without the Aldi system. Although Aldi seems nice. It seems to have ongoing maintenance issues. FYI I’m a Pipefitter and I am familiar with boilers. It just seems that a small electric heater will work just as well, since I’m at a full hookup campground and electric is included. 2016 has ducted air too. And no firefly system to go wrong.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Lake Havasu , AZ
I would prefer a unit with no Aldi system. We had a DP coach with the AquaHot system and from preliminary reading the Aldi seems similar. While we didn't have any major issues with the AquaHot the system is great when it worked but maintenance and repair costs were expensive and I wasn't wild about coolant running through the entire coach as it seemed leaks would have been a nightmare to deal with. People that have Aquahot love it or hate it, like with a lot of things these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I like the 2016 Classic. It has lights in the overhead compartments that 2015 doesn’t have. This is also the last year without the Aldi system. Although Aldi seems nice. It seems to have ongoing maintenance issues. FYI I’m a Pipefitter and I am familiar with boilers. It just seems that a small electric heater will work just as well, since I’m at a full hookup campground and electric is included. 2016 has ducted air too. And no firefly system to go wrong.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
The best year for Classic is the 2001 w/slide!

Depreciated and rare!

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I like my 2004 Classic 28. It was big enough to have Airstream install their largest holding tanks, but small enough to get into many of the national and state park campgrounds.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have a 2015 and love it. As with any trailer you have to do monthly maintenance work on it. I would say any year before the Aldi heating system and the computer controller system. I think it called Fire something. The more electronic stuff the harder to boondock. With that said we have found times when even this trailer is to big and sometimes wish we went smaller. We are fulltime and in bad weather the size and windows do still make you feel like you are outside. The oceanair blinds break strings and are very very expensive. I have restrung mine. Ground clearance is low and good on windy days but we are looking to rise ours up 3 inches as the next upgrade. Just my 2 cents
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote