Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2011 - 2015 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Portland , Oregon
2012 Classic Defects for full-timers

Normal wear and tear is expected on any product. When my steps quit working properly I was amazed to find that the rails which allow them to slide back and forth were frayed. The larger circular opening which allows the steps to "lock" into place when opened looked like a banana peel. When I took it to a dealer in NM he told me that " these Airstreams are not built to live in full-time". This was not normal wear and tear. This was a manufacturers defect. If any of you have had similar problems please let me know. There have been other issues like the draperies, the cabinet wood spiting , etc. I bought a Airstream simply because I thought that they were a step above the rest. After 4 years I wonder what else is in store for me ?
Airtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There are thousands of post here detailing recurring defects in Airstreams. Very little new is ever reported or discussed here.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I too bought an airstream thinking better trailer. Now the framework and the body is top of the line but it stops there. I am a RV master tech and can say that all of them are not built for full timing from the factory and the sad thing is that the airstream is one of the best. Like all the homes I have owned I will just have to keep fixing this one and someday it will be good. I'm in a 2015 classic and the quality control is sad on what I have found. Take a look at the other post I have on my converter.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I will be in Yuma in November if you need me. Carefree RV resort.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
I had a 2010 Airstream 28ft Flying Cloud that was problem free from the start. Then I upgraded to my current Airstream when I retired and went full timing. It took two years to work the bugs out with trips to the Airstream Service Center every six months as I was moving around. I'm no longer full timing but I've incurred some major maintenance expense in the past year and a half that probably relate in part to using the trailer full time for three and half years.

In my opinion, Dometic air conditioners and refrigerators don't hold up. I've replaced both front and back AC units and the refrigerator. Also be sure to have the trailer's wheel hubs inspected and serviced as needed. Don't ignore them like I did. I make an annual trip to the Airstream Service Center for maintenance, which is just the cost of owning a home that travels on our nation's bumpy highways and byways.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote