Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
A half-ton (F-150, 1500) will do the job, but will work harder; and you also have limited weight capacity after adding the 1,000+ lb. tongue weight of the 27FB Classic (pay no attention to the Airstream "book weight". I weigh our 2014 27FB Classic with a Sherline tongue scale every trip, and come in at 950 - 1050 lbs. each time). We used a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel as our 1st TV, and upgraded to a 2015 Ram 3500 in 2015. Packed with what we want to travel and camp with, our GCVW comes in at around 17,000 - 17,500 on the CAT scale, with 10k on the truck and 7k on the trailer. That is too heavy for a half-ton to safely handle. The new diesels have engine brakes and cruise control that make towing and braking much safer and almost effortless. Our current Ram/Cummins averages 14.5 mpg at our usual interstate cruise speed of 67mph running the entire length of the Appalachians from Mississippi to northern New York State twice a year. Check out the prices on 1-tons as well - we went from looking at 3/4 ton to 1 ton when we found the price difference on the Ram only $400! Gave us 2,000lb more payload. I have pics on how we set ours up in my gallery, if you are interested...
When it is all said and done it always comes back to payload. I for the life of me can't figure why the question always is " can I pull it with this or that " . One can pull any Airstreams with a Ford Fiesta. Fully loaded for a multi week trip in difficult terrain and around 1,000 Lbs tongue weight calls for an altogether different question,
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
I never miss an edition of "what is the best tow vehicle", mainly for entertainment because i know what works best for me. Some of the comments are always amusing. The first one that jumped out at me this time was, "a pickup is the worse possible tow vehicle." WOW! We better all quit camping and take up golf.
I have a great deal of respect for Can Am because they have enabled many people to go camping in vehicles that others thought were impossible to use for this purpose. However, given the choice, most people will agree from this thread and others that bigger is better. The question is not what is the best daily driver, it is, what is the best tow vehicle.
If they made a 2500 Suburban or Yukon diesel, you would see many of them pulling AS's. Apparently they can be custom built but they would be as expensive as a new AS. I love this debate!
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
It is so good to see at least one poster laying out the realities like WConley has. He calmly talks about having to "upgrade his brakes"----and does ANYONE on this forum ever do that to any vehicle they own? Why did he do this? Because the trailer, following the laws of physics, is actually too heavy for the TV. And he talks about "porpoising" from time to time. From my own experience I can tell you that porpoising is so dangerous that until you have a problem you might think it is funny. Its not.
Back to the issue raised by Westie 978---which truck? If you do not do anything else, try to understand the true weight of a 9000 lb trailer behind a truck that possibly weighs slightly more. Remember that that trailer only weighs 9000 lbs when it is STOPPED. Once it begins to move the mass changes and it gets heavier.
Some of us on this airforum are aware of the laws of physics and it is our choice to buy a TV suited to the size and weight of the trailer, not buy a vehicle based on parking in town and buying groceries in it etc.
So please consider buying a TV that is as beefy as you can drive because at the end of the day, the Gross vehicle weight of an F150 is 5,250 lbs and you said your trailer is a 2012 AS Classic which Airstream says weighs 6,672 lbs, nearly 1,500 lbs more than the truck weighs. SO if you are ever in an emergency situation remember that that trailer which OUTWEIGHS the truck, will tell the truck what to do, not the other way around.
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
1:2 ton truck.

i tow a 34 with my GMC, 6.2 max tow package with ease either on flat country or mountains. It has my sweet spot at about 65mph.

My husband and I just purchased a 2012 27 Foot AirStream Classic w/ has a GVWR of 9,000 lbs. We have been looking at 2017-2019 trucks to purchase as a towing vehicle. The preference has been a half ton as an everyday driver as well but even with the brand new models with all the bells and whistles for towing we question if they are enough truck if we are traveling cross country.

We have been actively camping for two years with 25 foot with a GVWR of 4500 so a 9000 lb Airstream is a big difference. We just want make sure we are choosing appropriately for our safety and all others on the road.

Trucks we have looked at in the 1/2 ton market include

Chevy 1500 EcoTrec 3 6.2 V8 w/ towing package - max towing 12500
Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 V8 hemi w etorque - max towing 12750
Ford F 150 that they say can have max towing 13,250

We also have read up on the Nissan Titan XD

Any help would be appreciated[/QUOTE]
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

santa barbara , California
We are newbies with a 2017 classic , 10,000 lb gross we got the cart be for the horse and now looking for A tow vehicle. We noticed no one commented on the Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 V8 hemi w etorque - max towing 12750. We test drove it without the trailer in like the ride a lot. Also the fact that with air suspension we can adjust the height of the tongue while inside the cab to help get in and out of our rather difficult hillside driveway. Thanks Dan
30air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"Remember that that trailer only weighs 9000 lbs when it is STOPPED. Once it begins to move the mass changes and it gets heavier."

Please explain how "the mass changes and it gets heavier" upon movement.

I guess I must have missed that day in physics class.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
1/2 ton

I have a GMC halfton and pull a 34. It pulls with ease and no sway issues. It has the max tow package, bigger rad, bigger brakes, 8 speed tranny and 6.2 engine. It’s very capable for the job. The real difference is the extra $10,000 you pay for the duramax. [/U]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFSSBN View Post
EASY 3/4 ton all day. Designed to handle the load in various conditions when you need it. Why over load your brakes, transmission and axles with a 1/2 ton ? 3/4 is build stronger. SAFETY is #1 Wind can cause sway and constant stress on 1/2 ton you'll go through tires in no time as well as stress out shocks an joints of a 1/2 ton. Get the 3/4 ton. I have a Chevy 2500HD with a factory tow package. It has the bigger radiator bigger alternator transmission cooler and beefier brake rotors as well as suspension. I hardly know its back there when towing. Especially when you have full fuel tanks on the truck and loaded it up as well as added all the additional weight to the trailer including water in the H2O Tanks. Don't go cheap. Cheap will cost you many repairs to a 1/2 ton which is NOT designed to do the job. Remember SAFETY #1 So why push the minimum and risk brake failure/ transmission/ water pump/cooling system etc. Do it RIGHT!
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
"Remember that that trailer only weighs 9000 lbs when it is STOPPED. Once it begins to move the mass changes and it gets heavier."

Please explain how "the mass changes and it gets heavier" upon movement.

I guess I must have missed that day in physics class.
I assume he means linear momentum. The sum of mass X velocity.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
brick
Shoot. You guys are making me do home work. I had to google linear momentum. You know what I learned? I learned "blah blah blah blah blah buy a Ram 2500 with a Cummins and air suspension and you'll be golden.

That's good enough for me. Now I just have to google " how to make my wife let me spend 68k on a new tow rig."

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #50

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans
... Remember that that trailer only weighs 9000 lbs when it is STOPPED. Once it begins to move the mass changes and it gets heavier.
Some of us on this airforum are aware of the laws of physics ...
Quote:
brick
If in fact that's what he meant, he could not have expressed it much more poorly.

The mass does not change. The trailer doesn't magically "become heavier" because it's moving, and saying that it does suggests something more akin to voodoo or alchemy than the "laws of physics"

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
We’ve had both

I’ll keep this simple. We had a 1/2 ton GM Denali to pull our 27 FB International. It was fine until Yellowstone and it struggled. Hills need power and also diesel braking is safer. A fully loaded trailer and truck bed can outweigh the towing capacity of a 1/2 ton. If you carry a generator, external solar, screen tent, grills and chairs, bikes, kayaks, etc. etc., well it adds up the weight. We purchased a Ford F-250 3/4 diesel in March and you can’t feel the trailer behind it. The braking makes me feel safer and the power will serve you well in the mountains.
Yooperchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to pixelhead
1/2 vs. 3/4

I have a 2009 25' FB, my first TV was a Silverado 1/2 ton with 5.3L, I upgraded to 3/4 ton and my only regret was that I had not gone that route from the beginning. Many things will pull your AS but as many have said stopping it is a different thing. If you are planning on doing serious miles get the 3/4 ton.
pixelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Purchase a truck that will perform a little better than you expect because sometime in the future you will wish you spend a couple thousand more and never have a problem. The 1/2 ton truck, in my option is a glorified car.......people want the soft car feeling, but never get the performance needed. A 3/4 ton will perform as a truck should. The gas models will get lower fuel mileage and the diesel will give you higher fuel mileage. The diesel will also provide better performance, last longer, and provide a higher resale value. The Dodge 250 diesel transmission has a towing/hauling gear and helps pulling up and down hill with ease. None of the running down hills without control or slowing down going up the hills. I get an average of 19 MPG with a Dodge 250 diesel.

Good luck. Just don't under size the truck thinking you want the comforts of a car.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
I just went through this same exercise and concluded the Ford F-250 4 wd diesel was most appropriate for my anticipated needs. Plenty of hp, payload and towing capacity. Good trailering packages including trailer reverse guidance. The Diesel engine brake is invaluable on mountain downhills. Better resale with diesels, although you won’t get the 9k extra back it costs. Better mileage but extra costs for DEF and maintenance. More longevity. And importantly, it’s easy to tow that 20 foot truck and 30 foot trailer through the truck stop diesel pump side. I noticed on a trip to MI that many truck stops only have diesel at the truck lanes. DEF is available in bulk there too. It would not want to put 50 feet of truck and trailer into the car lanes.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #55

1996 28' Excella
Ogden , Utah
Toyota Tundra Experience

We have pulled our 30' 1996 Excella Wide Body (8,000 lb.) literally coast to coast with a 2014 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L V8 without incident. We bought the truck new for that purpose with 4WD and off-road suspension and added Husky anti-sway bars. I prefer gas over diesel (just personal preference) and have gotten 16-17 mpg around town and 9-10 mpg while towing. The truck now has 97,000 miles on it and just did brake maintenance last year, otherwise, no problems whatsoever. With the extended cab there is ample rear leg room, it rides very quiet (like a luxury car), tows smoothly and the standard equipment "tow-haul" computer system is impressive. My guess is the newer models rated for 10,000 lb. should be even better . . .
dgardnercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
You definitely want a 3/4 ton. If I remember correctly, the empty tongue weight on you trailer is 750 pounds. By the time you add the weight of propane, the hitch, and load the trailer, you are close to or exceeding the weight limit of a 1/2 ton truck. You will not be able to put anything in the bed or add a canopy.

Do not let people tell you that there is no difference between a 1/2 ton an a 3/4 ton truck. There are differences in the brakes, weight limits on the differential, axle, etc., and different springs. They may look the same but they are different.

Finally, if you plan on driving in the mountains, get a diesel. Gasoline engines lose 3% of their power for each 1000 feet of elevation. Drive west out of Denver and you will only have lost 1/3 of your power by the time you reach the Eisenhower tunnel at 11000 feet. You will be stuck in the right lane hoping to go 25 mph while the 18 wheelers pass you like you are standing still.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #57

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJohnson View Post
~~
Finally, if you plan on driving in the mountains, get a diesel. Gasoline engines lose 3% of their power for each 1000 feet of elevation. Drive west out of Denver and you will only have lost 1/3 of your power by the time you reach the Eisenhower tunnel at 11000 feet. You will be stuck in the right lane hoping to go 25 mph while the 18 wheelers pass you like you are standing still.
This is only true of naturally-aspirated gasoline engines. The turbo is what makes the difference at elevation, not the fuel.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Sacramento , California
My wife and I have a 2009 27'FB Classic. I first pulled it with a 1999 Dodge 2500 5.9 L gas engine. In 2012 I purchased a 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4 Limited and I love the Toyota. It pulls the Airstream so much better than the Dodge ever did. A couple of things that I added to the suspension include: rear Toyota TRD anti-sway bar (self installed) and a set of rear suspension Firestone airbags installed by a local tire dealer. The additions were not necessary but provide extra stability that I like. The Toyota has plenty of power and I have pulled very steep mountain grades with it no problem. The Tundra now has over 70K miles and runs like new.
2008Phoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #59
Drag&Fly

1988 29' Excella
Collierville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to md11flyer
Quote:
The 1/2 tons will work, but you will be much happier towing with a 3/4 ton diesel. Payload is your biggest issue. Look at the sticker on the door jamb.
I do not know of any current production “car” that is capable of towing 9000 lbs.
Get the diesel 3/4 ton.
brick
Always include PAYLAOD in your calculations. That is what is on the truck and a 9000# T will put a minimum of 900-1100# of tongue weight on your truck. Numerous threads on this site fully explain all of this so please do your homework before committing to a ½ ton pickup that may not be configured properly for your trailer needs. And do not ask the dealership salespeople as they do NOT know for the most part what payload is.
md11flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30air View Post
We are newbies with a 2017 classic , 10,000 lb gross we got the cart be for the horse and now looking for A tow vehicle. We noticed no one commented on the Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 V8 hemi w etorque - max towing 12750. We test drove it without the trailer in like the ride a lot. Also the fact that with air suspension we can adjust the height of the tongue while inside the cab to help get in and out of our rather difficult hillside driveway. Thanks Dan
Is the e-torque out and available to drive? My local dealer said he had no idea when they would be shipping.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote