Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Where do you put kitchen stuff

We recently purchased a 2012 28' RB FC. We're getting set up to go south for a couple of months and are starting to find places for things. Just wondering where y'all put pots, pans, skillets, etc. We know exactly where to put them in our 1966 Overlander but are a little befuddled in the 2012 FC. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Chuck & Janet
ChuckZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I put stacked pots, strainer, Foreman grille, and Instant Pot in the pull out pantry, the nested frying pans under the sink, and the kettle/coffee makers above the pantry.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I put stacked pots, strainer, Foreman grille, and Instant Pot in the pull out pantry, the nested frying pans under the sink, and the kettle/coffee makers above the pantry.
When you say "pull out pantry" are you referring to the drawer under the front sofa?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
The 28 doesn’t have the very useful pull out pantry. At first we were putting pots, pans and other large cooking items under the couch in tubs but getting them out on a regular basis was a pain so we recently picked up the seven-piece Magma Pots set that resides under the sink. Insta-pot goes under the bed. Overall we love the 28’ layout but sure miss the kitchen of our 27’. Truthfully we are still working out the details.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
After using our 2017 28' International we've come to the conclusion that the wardrobe between the shower and refrigerator is pretty underutilized. We found we have more than enough space in our RB closets, the RB overhead storage and under the bed to store our clothing. So I installed three (3) metal slide-out shelves that turn the closet into a very useful pantry. Here is the link for a photo http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...atid=newimages .There is plenty of room for food items or for storing pots and pans, dishes or kitchen appliances, whatever suits your needs. The wardrobe is deep so there is a small amount of space behind the shelves that we store extra paper products like paper towels and napkins. We have purchased the perfect sized cloth baskets for above the kitchen counter to store wine, cocktail glasses, etc. as well as other things we might need to cook or serve meals with. The baskets can be easily removed which makes it easy to access the contents. Because they are soft (with an interior wire frame) they flex a little so they are easy to remove from the cabinet. If you use them for food items it also makes it easy to take them into the house (we store our AS at home) to load up for a trip. There is a lot of storage in the 28' International. It took us a year of use to figure out what would work the best for us.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Hi Va Traveler

We just purchased a 28' Serenity and are thinking just like you. Where did you purchase the sliding shelf system from and how do you keep the shelves from sliding while driving?
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Whatever works

When you change to a new trailer, you have an adjustment period. Nothing is set in stone to begin with, try one thing and if that doesn't do it...try another. And, take a good look at plastic, wire and wooden bins as they can often be the answer.

Our old trailer had a nice big cupboard under the stove that fit an entire regular set of pots and pans. The new Globetrotter? Not so much, it does have the pull out pantry that works pretty well, it just didn't hold the entire old set. So, we also invested in the nesting Magna pots, although stacking, unstacking and restacking is a bit of a bother in itself, at least I am not using the entire pantry for pot storage.

The old trailer had long overhead storage cupboards with no dividers and we eventually put in dividers to keep things from wandering around when we were traveling. The Globetrotters' overhead storage bins are harder to modify because they are curved, so things are now corraled in plastic bins.

And, our old trailer had no logical place for dish storage. The long cupboard was distant from the kitchen, the drawers were too shallow and the pantry was a black hole (things disappeared into it and were hard to retrieve). Eventually, we discovered that a loaded picnic basket set on top of the pantry was ideal for dishes, stored when moving. But, the Globetrotter has better places for dish storage, so consigning the picnic basket to the Goodwill was one of the first things we did!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Following

I'm following because I'm interested in ideas for making better use of the "wardrobe" in my 2005 Safari 25, especially VA Traveler's source for wire shelving.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
After using our 2017 28' International we've come to the conclusion that the wardrobe between the shower and refrigerator is pretty underutilized. We found we have more than enough space in our RB closets, the RB overhead storage and under the bed to store our clothing. So I installed three (3) metal slide-out shelves that turn the closet into a very useful pantry. Here is the link for a photo http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...atid=newimages .There is plenty of room for food items or for storing pots and pans, dishes or kitchen appliances, whatever suits your needs. The wardrobe is deep so there is a small amount of space behind the shelves that we store extra paper products like paper towels and napkins. We have purchased the perfect sized cloth baskets for above the kitchen counter to store wine, cocktail glasses, etc. as well as other things we might need to cook or serve meals with. The baskets can be easily removed which makes it easy to access the contents. Because they are soft (with an interior wire frame) they flex a little so they are easy to remove from the cabinet. If you use them for food items it also makes it easy to take them into the house (we store our AS at home) to load up for a trip. There is a lot of storage in the 28' International. It took us a year of use to figure out what would work the best for us.
OH MY GOSH! The slide out shelves are great. Where did you pick them up? I'd love more info on the cloth baskets. Pics, where purchased, etc.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Pots and Pans

We put our larger skillets and grill accessories in the oven with shelf liner padding them. They don’t seem to move much during travel. Our smaller pots go in the overhead bin over the stove. Coffee pot and toaster are under the dinette seat as we only use them when staying two nights or more. We have a six shelf hanging shelf in the closet with bins for clothes. They never fall out.
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #11
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Our 2004 Safari S/O we removed shelving in pantry & added ikea pull outs. Keep our dishes & dry good there. Pots above cooktop with larger fry Pans etc under one twin bed. IKEA works great for us.
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
It took us several trips to figure out where to put things. Dishes, glasses and paper plates go in the locker above the sink. Pots and pans in a tub in the dinette seat base. Dry food in the locker above the couch. We use plastic bins from Target that are a perfect fit.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
We have 2017 28 FC. The floor plan is much the same as your 2012. After much experimentation, we put our pots and pans under the rear dinette seat (no tubs). Dishes go in the front overhead bin. Food goes in the bins over the kitchen and dinette. It seems to work for us and we have plenty of space (just the two of us).

We had to move the dishes and other hard items from the side overhead bins to the front. The backs of the side bins are aluminum and they were taking some damage during transit. The front bin has a board backing and is more robust.

I love the idea of converting the "closet" to a slide-out pantry! If we ever run out of space that will surely be considered. My wife said "But where do you put the broom?"
IrkdScientst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We have a 25 FC.

I keep the cast iron in the flip-out compartment under the street side part of the dinette on the aisle. Use the rubber shelf liner to keep things from moving around. Fits a flat 2-burner griddle we use outside on the coleman stove, a dutch oven, large fry pan, and small fry pan.

I keep baking pans and a sauce pan or 2 in the drawer under the dinette seat on the curb side by the door.

I keep plates and bowls in one of the overhead bins over the sink. I keep cups, coffee equipment, and pitchers in the other overhead bin.

I added a magnetic knife rack onto the wall behind the stove (attached with industrial velcro) and a paper towel holder hangs from the bottom of the overhead cabinet between the sink and the stove (also mounted with the velcro).

I also treated myself to a simplehuman trash can. What a difference that makes. It totally keeps any stink in the can. Now I don't have to take out the trash after every meal. Can go a couple of days.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsgsports View Post
Hi Va Traveler

We just purchased a 28' Serenity and are thinking just like you. Where did you purchase the sliding shelf system from and how do you keep the shelves from sliding while driving?
I just wanted to provide more information on my slide-our shelves. I have two different types. One is a douible shelf with the slides integrated into the frame. I purchased online from Amazon Household Essentials C21221-1 Glidez 2-Tier Sliding Organizer - Dual Pull Out Cabinet Shelf - Chrome - 11.5 Inches Wide. These are the two I attached to the bottom of the wardrobe. I am going to add a couple of small rubber bummers on each side to ensure they don't move from side to side. I have traveled with them several times and they are very solid. I just want a little more assurance they aren't going anywhere. The upper shelf required me to attach a couple of mounting strips of hardwood (used mahogany I had laying around) to each side of the wardrobe. I then attached the shelf slides (in a frame) to it. I also bought the sliding shelf on Amazon Lynk Professional Slide Out Cabinet Organizer - Pull Out Under Cabinet Sliding Shelf . They were not cheap $120 for both but I am sure you can find others or just buy slides, build shelves and attach them. I didn't have time to do that. They fit very well and are very durable. I'm experimenting with the best way to secure them when I travel to prevent them from sliding out or banging against the door. I have used cable ties and secured them to the frames. That worked very well. Velcro would also work well. I might try using a long dowel that I slide vertically through the three shelves and just use one Velcro strap attached to the frame when I travel That will be easy and the least hassle.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrkdScientst View Post
We have 2017 28 FC. The floor plan is much the same as your 2012. After much experimentation, we put our pots and pans under the rear dinette seat (no tubs). Dishes go in the front overhead bin. Food goes in the bins over the kitchen and dinette. It seems to work for us and we have plenty of space (just the two of us).

We had to move the dishes and other hard items from the side overhead bins to the front. The backs of the side bins are aluminum and they were taking some damage during transit. The front bin has a board backing and is more robust.

I love the idea of converting the "closet" to a slide-out pantry! If we ever run out of space that will surely be considered. My wife said "But where do you put the broom?"
I am working on that. It does fit under the couch in the storage area.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Great Amazon links. Thanks Va.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Hello VA Traveler

Thank you for your detailed follow up post. I'm going to order them and install just like you did. A few question:

When you say that you mounted some mahogany strips was this to go under the basket frame on the upper shelf unit? Is that because you needed to use a longer screw and it would protrude from the shelf below?

My other question is are the shelves strong enough to support much weight? I noticed that they're made out of 1/2" plywood and the upper shelf has some support by the coat hanger brackets. I'm not sure how strong the bottom shelf is.

Thank you.
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #19

2023 27' Globetrotter
Carmine , Texas
If you use Pinterest, search Airstream organization and there are some really neat ideas on how to organize your AS.
CalvinEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I just wanted to provide more information on my slide-our shelves. I have two different types. One is a douible shelf with the slides integrated into the frame. I purchased online from Amazon Household Essentials C21221-1 Glidez 2-Tier Sliding Organizer - Dual Pull Out Cabinet Shelf - Chrome - 11.5 Inches Wide.
Thanks again VaTravelers. This is great stuff!