Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Bradenton , Florida
In regards to the sleeping arrangements, the Hat method is the solution. Wear your hat to bed and throw it to your partner. She can bring it back or just throw it back.
mrmercury49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We like all of the things as previously stated in the above comments about twins. It definitely is more room for the tall hubs, more room to get dressed, and the "walk around" area on the queen just wasn't big enough to fit him. One of the biggest pluses we found is an actual area for our two labs to sleep. I found some great dog beds on Groupon that fit perfectly on the floor in between the beds. That gives comfy sleeping space for all!

I thought we were the only ones that used the bedroom as our sitting room. At the end of the day we just gravitated to that area and found it quite comfy and lots of room for all of us. And, let's face it, sitting sideways on the dinette to watch TV in the combo living/dining area is not comfortable on your back no matter how many pillows you put behind you.

@jayseejay: Those comforters are really cute! Do you mind if I ask where you found them?
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #43
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmercury49 View Post
In regards to the sleeping arrangements, the Hat method is the solution. Wear your hat to bed and throw it to your partner. She can bring it back or just throw it back.
Had never heard that...... that's a good one!

(Welcome to the forum!)
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #44
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Yep, lots of reasons to like the twin beds.

One that hasn't been mentioned is that there's more useful standing room in back for changing clothes, which is important to us since we're sometimes involved in theatrical/reenactment work when traveling and use the trailer as a green room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Trying to find a way to put this gently..

No. Hell no.

Don't you married people enjoy sleeping with each other? I think I'll kill myself before I step back into "leave it to beaver" land.

Nothing finer than a good dinner, campfire, bourbon, and then........

It's a tradeoff. Both of us can fit together in one twin bed for a while and that's how the night usually starts. If it's just the two of us traveling we sometimes sleep on the gaucho.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
...let's face it, sitting sideways on the dinette to watch TV in the combo living/dining area is not comfortable on your back no matter how many pillows you put behind you.
Like the sofas, the dinette is tolerable for about 15 minutes (enough to eat a meal!). Much beyond that, I'm crying out for something a lot more comfortable when it come to relaxing for an afternoon or an evening.

We've been trying to decide where our Golden Lab will have a bed in our 30' International. Not much floor space beyond where one walks in an Airstream. We're starting to think we'll remove the dinette table (when we're not using it for something) and give him a bed space there.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I think it would be really neat for AS to sell the trailers with modular interiors. One thing I struggle with in my AS is office space and sitting area. Perhaps if there was some sort of twin convertible desk option for one bed (twin model) and a modified L lounge/recliner in the front room, all would be perfect! If they added an extra folding privacy screen in the kitchen, then the bathroom could be extended into the hall when used- this of course in reference to center bath models.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
. And, let's face it, sitting sideways on the dinette to watch TV in the combo living/dining area is not comfortable on your back no matter how many pillows you put behind you.
Actually, with my bad back I love putting my feet up on the sofa and watching the TV. And on the other side, if you open the storage drawer under the seat and put the cushion that goes on the wall under the TV on top of the drawer, you get two comfortable sofas for watching the TV.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
We've been trying to decide where our Golden Lab will have a bed in our 30' International. Not much floor space beyond where one walks in an Airstream. We're starting to think we'll remove the dinette table (when we're not using it for something) and give him a bed space there.
Our dog - medium sized - 65lb border collie likes to sleep under the dinette table - staying out from under our feet.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Our dog - medium sized - 65lb border collie likes to sleep under the dinette table - staying out from under our feet.
Yes, that seems like an ideal spot in an Airstream, for a pup that can fit under there. Harley is just under 100 lbs., so it would be a little tight for him, but we're going to give it a go.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
That's where Luke sleeps too.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
Hi everyone! We have twins. Beds. I not only don't like the sleeping arrangements but I do not sleep well. The beds are just too narrow. 30 in just does not get it. I had to take sleeping pills to sleep. Every night. We put a foam topper on both twin beds. That helped my hubby but not me. Here we are now in our "other" camper up north with a king bed and bingo, I don't need sleeping pills at all. We put a foam topper on this bed too. I also don't like the storage drawers underneath the beds. Hard to open (they stick) mildew problems, bending over to get in them. In the Fall, we are going to tear out the twins and put in a queen. I need my sleep.
Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
have to agree sunnysideup. my sweetie and i have shared the same bed for our entire married lives. we like it that way so enjoy the queen in our 25'FB. i can see this as a problem for some of increased girth or perhaps limited mobility, but those sorts of limitations do not impact us. there is just something reassuring about reaching out at night and making contact with your partner. we use the big storage tubs in advance, and bring them out to the trailer as we prepare to leave on the next adventure, very handy. the lack of outside storage doors with the queen arrangement is not of concern as we tow with a PU which has unlimited space for 'stuff'.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #53

Currently Looking...
Indialantic , Florida
We are shopping for our first Airstream and I have a total Noob question:

Could the twins be converted into a larger bed ("queen") with a platform bridge and additional cushion, akin to converting the dinette into a bed? Just contemplating flexibility.
iflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #54

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Not easily as the night stand would have to be removed to make that work.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in my trailer the night stand drawer section looks like it could be removed leaving just the base. it might be worth looking into doing that.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyer View Post
We are shopping for our first Airstream and I have a total Noob question:

Could the twins be converted into a larger bed ("queen") with a platform bridge and additional cushion, akin to converting the dinette into a bed? Just contemplating flexibility.
Check out this one: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...-16692-52.html
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
We also would not complain if twins were a regular option in the International series. That costs about $4500 more when ordering a trailer, according to our local dealer.
So it is possible to order twins in an International?
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
Dear iflyer, we have done this. Our AS has a walkthru all the way to the back window. The first thing we did was to get a board that is just wide enough to sit on the ledge of the beds. I put two storage totes on top to put my clothes in. (The totes are from Rubbermaid and open top and front side. This has worked very well for a year and a half). Now back to your question. Later I got more of those same width boards (4 or 5) and laid them all the way down the walk thru and put a dinette seat cushion on top. This worked perfectly. Take it down in the morning. Now as you are looking for an AS, frankly I would choose a rear queen be done with it. But this solution does work. Also since ours is an older AS, we store those boards under the dinette seats and that makes that more comfortable (Haha, "comfort table"). Now we are currently considering tearing out the twins and making a queen bed back there. We are thinking a "full" bed with a drop leaf. And again lay the dinette cushions on the extension. In the morning, drop the extension to make more walking around space. Then we would make the bed sitting on a storage box underneath with a "pull up" top like in lots of non-AS RVs. We have this arrangement (the pull up mattress) in our summer camper and like it very much. A lot of work to make this change. We may just sell it and go a different route. But the bridge method does work. We have also stored the boards under the mattresses. Since you are still looking, and if it important to you to have a queen bed so you and your significant other/spouse to sleep so you can reach out and touch him/her all night, then choose a rear queen. Hope this helps in your decision making.
Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
My husband removed the rear twins in our AS & added a king size 14.5 memory foam mattress & it sleeps great. Making the bed is tough but worth it. He also removed the original AS sofa & added a recliner love seat so we have a comfortable living area & a good sleeping area.

Jane

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Well, we all certainly have lots of ideas! Just reading through, some posts nay say twins. The part about sleeping with your wife has some merit though ironically in my extended family as my aunts have gotten older, they have moved to twins for themselves and their husbands. The bedroom isn't that big so technically you are sleeping with them - just musing. On the matter of curved end, It really is a mute point with the exception of people with really large heads. The bed is pretty much half a king bed by measure. It says 34x78 but mine with the wall gap measures 36x80 (side to edge/wall to wall).

I just believe that it is the most practical setup for an Airstream- a no slides trailer, for the most part.

Speaking of layouts and twins, etc., as a mostly solo traveler I would really like to customize my AS but I get cold feet thinking about the $$$ and the resale changed up. My dream would be to turn one of the beds into a murphy-type setup doubling as an office, change out the under bed storage bins to something easier to get to, Flip the bath door around or flip the commode with shower to create a multi-purpose bathroom/hall combination with the door acting as privacy, Redo the from lounge area to incorporate a small wrap-around seating with a loose euro recliner on the door side- perfect. My measures show that I could at least gain seating for 1-2 more people. Right now I can sleep 3 and seat three adults.