Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Moses Lake , Washington
Two water drains?

I have a new 23D FC that has the white plastic fresh water drain behind the tires. It also has a brass fitting about a foot away. This one sticks out quite a bit and is the lowest point for ground clearance.

Is the brass fitting a second tank drain? The low point water drains are near the rear bumper accessible from inside the storage area. The manual addresses both the white plastic and low point drains but says nothing about the brass one.

Could this be removed or rerouted for more ground clearance?
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome..
Pictures 3-1!!! Pictures!

The brass may be the tank plug. That can be removed to drain all water. But usually any water left in the tank after draining with the white valve behind tires, won't expand enough to damage.. And you can you don't have to worry about rodents or bugs getting into the bigger plug hole during tow or storage.

Low point will be where water drains out of plumbing fresh water lines.. Don't forget your Water heater or under sink filter. Also, antifreeze in the P traps!!!

No, not likely you can "relocate" the tank plug.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Moses Lake , Washington
Old 10-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Moses Lake , Washington
Pictured above are the two drains. Does anyone know the purpose for the brass on the left? Can it be removed?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Did you purchase this AS 'new'?

That appears to be the drain for the Fresh water tank. ... but, so is the white valve to the right... there is usually a 'plug' in the bottom of the freshwater tank... and if someone replaced, then that 'arrangement' would make some sense.

So if you do not see another 'plug' in the bottom, then this might be a 'low point drain'.

When you open the valve, with no water attached and no pressure on the system, does any water come out? Does it come out faster if you open one of the valves in a sink?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In my personal opinion, a brass fitting like this would be inconsistent with all the other plumbing fittings on a new Flying Cloud (mine is a 2014 20-footer). It looks more like a propane fitting.The red handle is consistent with this possibility. Is the left end threaded and curved/convex, as if to accept the flared end of an LP compression fitting with a nut on the end to complete the connection? Can you get a better photo of the left end?

A number of questions come to mind. Does your owner's manual say anything about this? Was your coach perhaps prepped at the factory or dealer for an optional propane appliance of some kind? Does your paperwork list any options which might apply? Please send your photo to the dealer and ask them what's up.

It is my understanding that the metal pan being shown is actually a protective box around ( and separate from ) the actual plastic fresh water tank. Mine looks very similar FWIW, but without the brass fitting. If so, the drain plug at the bottom of the fresh water tank, mentioned by cwf, is probably buried out of view, again in my opinion. Also these drain plugs are more nearly flush-mounted I believe.

Inside the coach above this area, is there some corresponding brass fitting, perhaps buried under your toilet or lavatory? I think your bathroom is the same as mine? See floor plans here:

2016 Airstream Flying Cloud Floorplans & Specs | Airstream

If you remove the aluminum cover plate to the right of the toilet, on the raised floor box supporting the toilet, you can see what is inside this space. You will need a flashlight, and it helps to take some photos looking up also, with the flash on, in order to see what is under the lav counter. [OT comment -- You may need this information for other reasons later on down the road, as my vacuum breaker for the water feed for the black water flush system leaked IMO, as it is the old style plastic unit. If yours is all brass, you may be OK. -- end OT comment]

Curious to know what your brass fitting is, as we all try to figure out our new units. Please keep us informed about what you learn from the steps suggested above, as well as in the comments by others during the day today.

Thanks and good luck!

Peter

PS -- edit -- is there anything like this brass fitting under your rear corner bed, as I believe you have one or two exterior access doors to this space?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS2 -- edit window expired -- Any chance the brass fitting is for a BBQ to be used outside the aft end of the coach? Any mention of this possibility in the manual, or in your delivery paperwork list of options? If you open the red handle, does propane come out (propane tanks on)?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow.. did not see the Red... dang color blindness..

So, is the fitting on the end 'tapered'? A closeup, please..
Old 10-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hum.... Looks like a gas fitting but why would that be there? It is rather low.

Did you open it to see what came out? Gas or water?

In our 23 Safari, there is an access under the wardrobe closet near the water pump but deeper, where you can see the front low point drains and fill pipe going to the FW tank. There are no gas lines there.

Who would put a gas or water connection underneath the trailer in such an awkward spot.

I can only think it is a drain for the FW tank enclosure, but that shouldn't have water in it.

I agree, it is too low and just something to shear off from road debris.

Sid
Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
That brass thing looks like a propane valve, and if so, I would not want it to be the lowest point on the trailer.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Annapolis , Maryland
The white plastic valve appears to be the fresh water tank drain. The brass valve appears to be one of the water line low point drains. The brass valve doesn't look like an original valve. Someone probably replaced a damaged low point drain valve with the lever handle ball valve shown in picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
wander-west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to the recent comments, and one further thought if it turns out to be a propane valve: no propane lines should go into inaccessible spaces such as the one above the sheet metal pan which also houses the white plastic fresh water drain.

Hopefully your dealer can explain this if the brass valve is not OEM or a listed option. Do the pan head screws holding on the sheet metal protective pan (under the fresh water tank) look like they have been removed and re-installed after factory assembly?

Plenty of breakfast comments for you to digest on the West Coast, 111 !!!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
With water in your fresh water tank, open the valve and turn on your 12v water pump. My International Sig has two similar valves side by side in the same position that is for pumping the 12v pump system dry.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
With water in your fresh water tank, open the valve and turn on your 12v water pump. My International Sig has two similar valves side by side in the same position that is for pumping the 12v pump system dry.

Z
Is your second valve also brass, and maybe intended for an air fitting with pressure supplied to bleed the system dry? You'd think the owner's manual would cover this . . .
Old 10-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
brass valve

The brass valve is a water drain for the plumbing system, not the tank. The white valve drains the tank. I broke the brass valve while my trailer was sitting in my shop trying to figure out what is was for. Had a hose hooked up to the water supply and turned the valve. Water came out and the valve broke off. The 90 fittings have a thin wall and are easy to break. It is a pita to fix, had to cut an access hole to gain access to the pex tubing. If it breaks, the brass fittings will just spin in the pex. I put a smaller valve, like that found on a car radiator, to reduce the chances of being hit, eliminating the 90 fittings. Hope this helps.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Brass waster drain Mod i made. Had problems w/plastic valve. So,removed some rivets in corner of tank cover. Peeled back cover just enough to removed plastic valve and connected hose to fitting on tank ,ran it thru previous valve hole. Ran it to mounting plate of Black/Grey Drain valves. Mounted brass ball valve to plate and hose to valve. Re-riveted cover over tank. Now the fresh water is next to Blk/Gry valves. Don't have to get under trailer. Very nice. One of best mods i made.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Moses Lake , Washington
Nothing in the owners manual about the brass. Dealer doesn't know anything.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
FWIW I would at least tighten that valve by 1/2 turn and get the handle to the side instead of on the bottom. You gain an inch of clearance that way.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 View Post
Nothing in the owners manual about the brass. Dealer doesn't know anything.
Could you put a little water in the tank and confirm this, or are you already fully winterized? My 2014 owners manual has a paragraph on draining the FC23's water tank, but does not mention the brass valve either.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Guess no one believes me.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote