Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Storage - Inside or Outside

We have 2012 27FC and have recently learned that our HOA doesn't allow us to store our AC in the driveway :-( We are now forced to pay for storage and are wondering if anyone had preferences for inside or outside storage? We live in the Pacific Northwest and are seriously considering indoor storage but wouldn't mind the cost savings of outdoor storage. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
lionelc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I have the same issue. Even though I think the AS brightens up the neighborhood, the HOA disagrees. I currently have outdoor storage. Advantage is the cost savings. Disadvantages are: No access to power. Moss. UV exposure. Rain. Cold. Hot. I think there are a lot of good reasons to have indoor, or at least covered storage. If I could find any near where I live I would be glad to pay the difference.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are fortunate and are able to keep Lucy in our driveway which is in an alley behind our house. Some of our neighbors don't like it, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Some of these neighbors, who arrived long after were were here, want to change the covenants to prohibit Lucy's presence. I don't think so.

Please excuse my digression. I would definitely go with at least covered, if not indoor, storage if available within a reasonable distance.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
I would think the worst weather condition to be concerned with "up north" would be snow - seems like a winter's total load of snow > ice > snow > ice would accumulate enough weight to "stress" the rivited seams & cause water leaks, even on newer units.

Would love to hear Colin Hyde's thoughts.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It would seem to me at least, that water and sunlight are the two enemies of any TT.

The water will freeze and work against the skin in most climates, or will help spread chemicals in the air over the surface. And we all know that few AS trailers have no leaks.

The sunlight will fade the clear coat on most if not all years of AS TTs, and work on the rubber fittings and gaskets, making them deteriorate.

Nothing fast or dramatic, but all this to say, I would certainly prefer to store even my '74 inside if it were practical.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We store under a cover, because ours has tiny leaks we can't find, and it makes me feel good to know it has not got the sun beating down on it, or birds pooping on it, or snow and rain setting on it. You will definitely have less maintenance issues, and a longer life on your exposed rubber parts (including tires) and seals, if you can get it under cover.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thank you everyone for your great thoughts. It seems as though the overwhelming majority of people think that being covered is the best way to keep our Airstream safe. I appreciate all the help.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The other advantage of indoor storage is that you can store your other camping stuff, chairs, grill, etc, as well as the hitch and accessories.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
We are in the same boat. Our HOA does not allow outdoor storage or hook ups but we could store inside if we had a garage big enough. The problem is you need a special exception to get a garage of that size and it has to match the arc of your house without hindering the neighbors etc..

I might try to see if I can get a garage approved but I do not think the 10+ foot door would be approved.

They do offer us boat and trailer storage for a very small yearly fee but it is a fenced gravel lot with no indoor available.

The local storage areas have indoor, outdoor and carport like storage. I would like indoor but its expensive

What does everyone pay to store their airstream?
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
What does everyone pay to store their airstream?
We pay $49/month for outdoor. The closest covered storage is 1.3 hours away and is about $95/month. There is an old limestone quarry 20 miles from here that offers covered storage in a cave for $65/month. Humidity is a problem in the summer but it stays fairly dry in the winter. Cave floor is, well, a cave floor. Temp is a constant 54 degrees. It's a steep, gravel hill to the entrance and is a problem when it snows.

Our HOA prohibits storage on site or even a garage/carport. We are allowed to bring it here and keep it for 48 hours to load/unload/wash etc.

The storage facilities won't reserve your parking unless you continue to pay the rental fee. If you take it out for a while and have not kept the payments up, you may not have a spot when you return. We bought ours just recently and couldn't find any storage because everyone had put theirs in storage last fall. On the second allowable day at the house I got a call that someone had picked up their boat. (whew! We were thinking about parking at Wal-Mart until something opened up.)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Rates in San Antonio, Texas, in the city: I was paying $60 per month for outside, fenced, no utilities. Was there for two weeks, and an indoor space opened up for $140 per month. Sliding door, huge space, lights, 110 outlet, fenced, security, dumpstation & water on site, and an air compressor. Feel much better with it inside. For two weeks I kept going back to check with the fear that some punk had jumped the fence & vandalized it. Of course, they probably thought it was 50 years old or something, and not a 2014 model. "Do they still make those?"
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I feel it is best to store your AS in a indoor dry place("They All Leak" Tim from thevap.com). Go to any small airports near you and see if you can find some space in a hanger. General aviation is dead so there are lots of empty hangars out there.

Ace in Pa.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1896.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	206371
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Foprtunatley, our neighborhood is old enough that we don't have HOA regulations. We built a "Bambi-port" at the end of our house with 30-amp service...and then installed a wrought iron gate. It's open on 3 sides but we have canvas "wall" opposite the house wall and a canvas that drapes from the roof to the gate. It's barely visible from the street and is protected form direct sun and rain, though it still does get a little wet when it rains hard enough. I believe it has been a tremedous benefit to have it covered.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks for the idea Ace! I'll see if I can find an empty hangar.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelc1 View Post
Thanks for the idea Ace! I'll see if I can find an empty hangar.
A great idea from Ace!! But - the hanger doesn't have to be empty. There is usually a good bit of extra space in most hangers I've been in. I'd bet you could just rent a corner from the lease holder. Lowers his cost of upkeep and you get a great storage space. Just thinkin' . . . .
Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
AlamoRunner

2012 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Cannonball... I think my 2012 23FC is a neighbor of your 22Sport. Like you, I like the security, extra indoor space and amenities. The 110 keeps the batteries fully charged and it is great to be able to go by a couple of days before a trip and start up the refrigerator as well as being able to check the tires when truly cold before leaving the lot and adjusting as necessary. A/Runner
AlamoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote