Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When comparing the two side by side, we found many practical reasons to favor the RB model, and only the occasional dramatic view out the back from the dinette to favor the FB, and that would work better if our eyes were in the back of our head. Or spend a heck of a lot of time sitting upright at the dinette.

So both models have their own merit(s), and most will defend their choice until they get something else, then they will love the new choice. It's like that with everything Airstream, new, old, tires, trucks, hitches, beds, grills, ovens, batteries . . .

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Here's another way to look at it: There is no bad choice. FB or RB, it's still an Airstream. You win!
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Having had a 27FB International and now a 30 RB, I can make these observations. The RB with only one panoramic window has almost double the closet storage space. In addition, the "nightstands" allow loose objects to be left out in transit and there are USB ports to charge your goodies during the night in the RB. The bathroom is larger, the galley larger, refrigerator larger, and the 30 has more fresh water on board.

In truck stops, when backed in, the rear bed is father from the big diesels running all night. The door is closer to the TV, thus quicker to get to.

Now, there is certainly a beauty of the front bed with the pano windows in the rear, but one really needs to have those tinted, at least in the older front beds.

Oh well...

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Palm Springs , California
I made the same change with my 25' front bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Not power and only with one because in my 27FB, the street side dinette seating covers a lot of mechanicals that would be too much to reassign. But here's a shot of the conversion (done at Jackson Center - including cutting down the table since we didn't need the extra drop down bed there).

We love it - but honestly - I don't think you can go wrong with any configuration. Enjoy the heck out of whatever you buy :-)

Attachment 227400
It works out well for me too.
RMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

It's a no brainer for me, because…..

I am a fan of the rear bath set up. I like the privacy of not taking care of business, a foot away from people sleeping or eating. I usually camp with the rear of the trailer parked up against trees and bushes, or on the perimeter of a camping plot.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
So both models have their own merit(s), and most will defend their choice until they get something else, then they will love the new choice. It's like that with everything Airstream, new, old, tires, trucks, hitches, beds, grills, ovens, batteries . . .
I kind of feel it's like asking what is better; "an Auto or Manual in your sports car?" Around and around the conversation can go. Where it will stop nobody knows.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's fun to discuss this stuff with a bit of argument for our own choice. And sometimes we even learn something, which is why we are really wasting our time here.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The value of discussions like this is that it gives the OP some insight into the pros and cons of the various Airstream models and configurations. It is of particular value to the OP as the opinions are from real world users and not some salesman trying to sell him something.

The information contained in this thread is not available from any brochure or on-line research.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Good point, Brian. But in truth, there are no bad Airstreams and most people adapt pretty readily to whatever model they get and have a blast on the road!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #30
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
This thread is really helpful. We are currently looking to buy our first AS. Our current rig is a 27' motorhome, rear twin, front dinette. I just took out the incredibly uncomfortable dinette in favor of a reclining loveseat that we will be testing this winter in Florida. We really like the twin setup as it gives you somewhere to stand to get dressed. We did not like the queen setup because you had to get dressed in the hall between the bath and toilet. I'm very curious about the center twin configuration which seems strange to me and wonder how people like that configuration. At this point we are tending towards what we have, rear twin etc. But maybe we should really consider the other options. In this case there is no such thing as too much information. Thanks to all for the info and we look forward to joining the ranks of AS owners very soon.
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Let's throw twin/queen beds into the conversation as either are available in both current FB and RB setups.

In our Airstream it's a queen bed because we like to sleep that way. The hall between bathroom and shower and extending into the bedroom is an excellent place to bathe and dress, and is as private as you care to make it with two different built-in screens.

Lots of talk about the east-west bed but like big round kitchen sinks or tiny baths, it's entirely adaptable or you can get a larger Airstream to suit your own needs.

And when your present queen or twin bed arrangement no longer suits you, it's an easy conversion to the other (we buy Airstreams to last forever, usually). So it's hard to totally screw up on this choice.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #32
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We had a center twin rear bath configuration in the B+ motor home we owned before moving up to an Airstream. The bigger bath and the closet in there were nice, but we really disliked the center twins - that just didn't suit us.

We're much happier now with our 27FB and its queen bed, and we find there's plenty of room on either side of the bed to get dressed despite comments from others suggesting otherwise. The two privacy curtains across the hall also allow us to divide up our space any way we want if extra privacy is needed. Despite comments from others, who may not have an FB, suggesting the FB bedroom somehow suffers from a lack of privacy or extra noise, we're not feeling those issues at all. Our bedroom feels very private when the curtains / shades are drawn. The heavily tinted panos contribute to that feeling, as do the hallway privacy curtains, when needed.

The lack of vertical closets on either side of the bed doesn't bother us because when we're camping we don't need to hang up very many clothes aside from coats. We mostly fold them neatly and put them in the overhead cabinet, the night stands on either side of the bed, or the closed tubs under each side of the bed.

We also like the 27FB's slide-out microwave in addition to the propane oven. Not sure how useful that will truly be in the long haul, because we've found ourselves in primitive campsites more often than we initially expected. When we were shopping for the trailer we thought a microwave would be super-important, but thus far it's proven more of a nice-to-have than a true necessity.

By the way, when we looked at the 27FB and the 28(RB) we liked both of them. Our choice of the FB in no way suggests that the RB is somehow deficient in our eyes. They are both awesome. Unfortunately, we could only buy one. So, we settled on the 27FB which suits our lifestyle nicely as of today. I'm sure we would have been equally happy in a 28(RB), though perhaps for different reasons; it is a great layout.

Buy the layout you love in the size you need. If you can afford it, buy one of each! In any case, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Just thought I'd add that the local dealer showed me that two doors is now an option on the 27FB and up. This might help in those situations where a particular campground is set up to not accommodate a rear entry.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rogersville , Alabama
On the 25RB with the larger bathroom & window - do you lose storage in the bathroom because of the window?
wyndysweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
25RB Window

I think all the windows in bathrooms are of the horizontal type and no storage space is lost. I am guessing, but I suspect they are like in my 30 RB, shown here in a pre-delivery photo

Airstream_Pre-delivery_06.20.14-7 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
That picture is identical to my 25RB FC, but you have a nicer finish
Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our first ever travel trailer was the 2013 25FB International Serenity I purchased while overseas without ever being on a dealer lot to actually see them. Yeah, I know now that was a dumb move for us.

If I had selected the 27FB model, the initial complaints would never have materialized related to the cross frame bed of the 25FB.

We did not particularly like the dinette area arrangement of our 25FB and when we ordered a 27FB Classic as it's replacement and continued talking, we decided to not go through the "buy it again Sam" routine as it has the same identical layout as the 25FB and went directly to the 31" Classic.

We are extremely happy with our decision. The wife is just all bubbly over this unit which makes live much more pleasant for me.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #38
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Really depends on the woman.

Oh we're talking about Airstreams.

Rear, always rear.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 25 RB shares the exact bath design and size as the 30 RB in the photo shown in post #35, comfortable size with a window. We were not much for the original dinette seating in front and so changed to reclining chairs. The rear queen bed is fantastic, she wants nothing to do with twin beds. Love the pano windows front and rear.

You can't make a bad choice with these mid-size Airstreams, all have excellent layouts and tow beautifully. You will love traveling and camping in any of them. We have about 24 months total on the road in ours and customized it to suit us; the longer we use it the more we like it.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
I just bought a 2014 25FB twin. Going to pick it up next week and wife wants to buy new bedding for it. Anyone know the dimensions/size of the pullout sofa bed in the kitchen area (once its in the pulled out position)?

We are going to get three sets of twins but cant find dimensions anywhere (even on Airstream website) that show how wide the sofa bed is once its pulled out. I am thinking a twin bedspread will be too narrow?

Thanks!
Rick
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote