Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
Baraldi Stove Vent Fan Problems

We own a 2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB. . From our experience in the last year with five Baraldi Stove Vent Fans and one replacement motor we have concluded the following:

1. The Baraldi Stove Vent Fan was not designed to handle the heat that is emitted by the three burners on the Atwood High Output Stove. It handles two burners with no problem most of the time but automatically shuts down when faced with three burners running at once. The shut off is caused by a built in fail safe: a temperature sensitive switch that shuts the fan off when it overheats

2. If in fact, the Baraldi Stove Vent is supposed to handle the heat put out by three burners then the quality control at Baraldi is very poor since we have had two vents and one motor be unable to handle the heat from three burners without shut off.

3. In addition, either the quality control at Baraldi is extremely poor or the parts department at Airstream in Ohio is placing defective Baraldi vents back on the shelf and shipping them to dealers as replacement parts. The Boise Service Department of Airstream Adventures NW received three (3) Baraldi vents in a row that roared like a Harley Davidson and didn’t put out enough air to open the external vent flat on the Airstream.

Our latest replacement Baraldi stove vent fan shuts off in under 2 minutes when you run all three burners at once (with no pans--it lasts 10 minutes if you're using pans).

Is anyone else having problems with their Baraldi stove vent fan? Are we the only people who actually cook using all three burners at once?
saraschurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

We just purchased a gently used 2012 FC and the Baraldi stove vent buttons pushed back into the housing on our second use of the unit. We were warned by the previous owner. I have the AS at the local dealer for repair of the unit but am somewhat pessimistic about the switch housing repair. Seems like the buttons ought to be larger and not recede back into the unit so easily. Anyone have a suggestion..other than not use it
Liben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Do a search on Baraldi and my user name. I have photos of how it can be fixed. Currently at Jackson Center and asked about any improvements on the switch design. Tech said nothing has changed. If you push in on the switch there is a chance that the switch assembly will dislodge/unclip from the tabs on the switch cover. If a tab breaks then you need a complete new switch assembly in the neighborhood of $100+
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraschurr View Post
We own a 2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB. . From our experience in the last year with five Baraldi Stove Vent Fans and one replacement motor we have concluded the following:

1. The Baraldi Stove Vent Fan was not designed to handle the heat that is emitted by the three burners on the Atwood High Output Stove. It handles two burners with no problem most of the time but automatically shuts down when faced with three burners running at once. The shut off is caused by a built in fail safe: a temperature sensitive switch that shuts the fan off when it overheats

2. If in fact, the Baraldi Stove Vent is supposed to handle the heat put out by three burners then the quality control at Baraldi is very poor since we have had two vents and one motor be unable to handle the heat from three burners without shut off.

3. In addition, either the quality control at Baraldi is extremely poor or the parts department at Airstream in Ohio is placing defective Baraldi vents back on the shelf and shipping them to dealers as replacement parts. The Boise Service Department of Airstream Adventures NW received three (3) Baraldi vents in a row that roared like a Harley Davidson and didn’t put out enough air to open the external vent flat on the Airstream.

Our latest replacement Baraldi stove vent fan shuts off in under 2 minutes when you run all three burners at once (with no pans--it lasts 10 minutes if you're using pans).

Is anyone else having problems with their Baraldi stove vent fan? Are we the only people who actually cook using all three burners at once?
Update: Airstream has contacted us and advised us that there has only been one other complaint like ours and that most people don't use all three burners at once. They have offered to by-pass the shut off sensor so that the problem will no longer occur.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Our Baraldi has shut off once. I don't remember how many burners we had going. We have not investigated the over-temp device or how to bypass it.

This is on a 2013 25FB FC.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
I have a 2015 27FB and the Baraldi will also shut down if we try to run 3 burners. It's happened 3 or 4 times. At first I thought it was a blown fuse but it came back on itself after it had cooled down. Seems like a very cheap unit.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
I have a 2015 27FB and the Baraldi will also shut down if we try to run 3 burners. It's happened 3 or 4 times. At first I thought it was a blown fuse but it came back on itself after it had cooled down. Seems like a very cheap unit.
They are actually pretty expensive in comparison to other available vents for RVs. I think they selected it because of its streamlined look rather than its performance. It has different kind of fan than most and I suspect therein lies the problem.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Roxboro , North Carolina
Stupid question: you made sure the external vent was open?
Old 10-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #9

2014 19' Flying Cloud
fullerton , California
We have a 2014 Flying Cloud and found that the Baraldi vent fuse will blow if you run the fan and have the light turned on. We have replaced two fuses so far. It doesn't matter how many burners are going.
chuckvisnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2Becker View Post
Stupid question: you made sure the external vent was open?

In my case yes. Fan shutdown again this weekend. Vent is open, fan started then burners. Shuts down about 15 minutes in. Every time. Poor design (Baraldi) or selection of fan (AS) - probably the latter. Vent fans for domestic applications are sized based on expected cooktop heat output, more output = higher flow. Unacceptable to have a 3 burner stove but only be able to use 2 at a time.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
My vent is open too. I found that one of the replacement fans they gave us (that roared like a Harley) didn't put out enough air to even open the vent! Airstream has admitted that the fan isn't capable of dealing with 3 burners. Their experience is that most AS owners don't use all 3 burners! Only solution is to bypass the heat sensor. We're having that done (on warranty) later this month.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #12
kpayne

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Shreveport , Louisiana
Baraldi fan shutoff issue

Just purchased a 2015 28 foot Flying Cloud and we are on our maiden voyage. We were cooking with 3 burners this am. The vent fan shut off after a few minutes although the vent light remained on. No evidence of blown fuse. The vent hood was indeed very hot, almost too hot to touch. Soon thereafter the smoke alarm activated (glad to confirm it works). When the vent finally cooled down, the fan now works just fine. Suspect as y'all have noted that this is the way the unit is designed with a heat shutoff mechanism. Guess we'll either limit our cooking to 2 burners or have the unit modified to bypass the heat switch.
kpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
We had the heat sensor bypassed this week. The fan now keeps working just fine when I use 3 burners. It was considered and warranty repair. Have it done! It doesn't take long at all.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Just a thought. While the Baraldi might have a sensitive fan shutoff have you considered that maybe the amount of heat put out by all three burners might lead to damage of the overhead cabinet, outside wall and the wall next to the stove. Not saying it will but.....
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't override a safety device in this way, probably there to keep the motor from burning out, possibly igniting something, or just ruining the motor.

Like everything else in RV's, serves most of the people most of the time. If not adequate our particular use, then we have to install a heavier duty appliance. Or stay within the design parameters of the product. We do plenty of this, better tires, better seating, bedding, tongue jack, hitches, and operate our medium duty pickup within it's limits.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #16
From Beautiful Egg Harbor

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Egg Harbor , Wisconsin
Beraldi Range Hood Failure

Interesting to read a year old thread about same safety problem we're having today. 2016 FC25 bought two months ago. One burner and oven on fan stops. (Vent open). AS customer service guy said the galley is for "camp cooking" like one is not to use the range except for heating hotdogs. Told to take to a dealer which is a reasonable suggestion. However by passing the heat sensor does not resolve the fact that AS continues to use a fan not intended for their installation. The Beraldi owners manual states hood must be 30" min above range. Ours has 21" clearance.
efaehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #17
From Beautiful Egg Harbor

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Egg Harbor , Wisconsin
We are having same Baraldi fan problem. 2016 FC25. Use stove. Fan trips off. Has no pass worked for you
efaehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
The by-pass of the heat sensor has worked really well for us. The fan is working fine and it's been 9 months since we had the work around done. I use 3 burners all the time and have no problems.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
It is August 2016 and I am having the same problem with Baraldi vent fan. My problem is that it didn't come back on! Yes, the exterior flap is opened while cooking and the light works fine! If we except the work around and there are problems after warranty ends , then what? Airstream should replace the unit with another brand that does work no matter how many burners you use!!!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Baraldi Range Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by efaehw View Post
Interesting to read a year old thread about same safety problem we're having today. 2016 FC25 bought two months ago. One burner and oven on fan stops. (Vent open). AS customer service guy said the galley is for "camp cooking" like one is not to use the range except for heating hotdogs. Told to take to a dealer which is a reasonable suggestion. However by passing the heat sensor does not resolve the fact that AS continues to use a fan not intended for their installation. The Beraldi owners manual states hood must be 30" min above range. Ours has 21" clearance.
Would you be so kind to post a picture of owners manual where it states the above? For some reason it was not included in my Airstream information.

Thanks,
Linda
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote