Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

I was in for service last week on the over heating shut down issue. Of course the tech couldn't duplicate the symptoms since he was cooking. I ask to have the sensor bypassed and they called Airstream who said do not bypass the sensor.
Still looking for a resolution.
lzhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzhome View Post
I was in for service last week on the over heating shut down issue. Of course the tech couldn't duplicate the symptoms since he was cooking. I ask to have the sensor bypassed and they called Airstream who said do not bypass the sensor.
Still looking for a resolution.
There are others on this site who reported that they have bypassed the sensor in JC. I'd have to look to verify but I do recall reading it here.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't "correct" this issue as bypassing is the short solution.

I'll have a real one as soon as I start tearing mine down.

The short answer is mostly likely just finding the correct version of the sensor that will work within the specs AS has set up in the 21" height violation.

Same company has the same sensor in higher values, just a matter of trial and error to see what makes sense to keep it "safe" and still provide a high enough cutoff to use the stove as designed without burning up the motor in the process.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Marshall , Texas
Our fan quit working this morning while using three burners. How long did it take to start working again? I don’t know if it’s broken or just waiting to cool. Thanks!
AggieStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieStream View Post
Our fan quit working this morning while using three burners. How long did it take to start working again? I don’t know if it’s broken or just waiting to cool. Thanks!
Just 20 to 30 minutes with NO cooking and it should come back on.
lzhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Marshall , Texas
It’s been 3 hours and our fan still won’t turn back on. I guess it’s broken?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieStream View Post
It’s been 3 hours and our fan still won’t turn back on. I guess it’s broken?
Ours took some time to cool down. It is frustrating however. The entire purpose of that fan is so that when cooking all the moisture etc is taken out. To have it shut down with 3 burners on is when it should operate the best!! Clearly a flaw design Airstream has a responsibility to correct.

Or they should only make 2 burner stoves!! Here that Airstream?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Marshall , Texas
Well... it’s been 12 hours and it still doesn’t work. Not sure what to do. The dealer is 3 hours away. Sure don’t want to haul it that far for this.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:18 AM   #48
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
You probably blew a fuse.... the fuse is located in the back right corner of the stove hood. Remove the screen and search for the fuse.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
We just put ours away for the winter, this is something I'll be looking at this week.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Got around to this today, small note to all, the disassembly process is only difficult.......on your back.

NOTE: I DO NOT have a fix yet, still need to order part, this is disassembly procedure ONLY.

To take apart:

-- Cut cable tie that is visible going to the motor assembly
-- Remove to "small" screws that hold up the light assembly on the hood, located at the far ends, they require a #1 screwdriver.
-- CAREFULLY lower the light assembly so it doesn't hit the wall
-- Disconnect and MARK both sides of the connector with a piece of take, sharpie, whatever, the two connectors are similar, you want to be sure you reassemble without issue.
-- Cut the other tie wrap that holds the two wire assemblies
-- Remove the four screws that suspend the motor and carefully lower, be careful, it will drop straight down when the last screw comes out and damaged the stove cover!

Reassembly will be a challenge as the nut and bolt that holds the motor in place is under the fan blades and can't get my hand in there to hold the nut in place to have the bolt catch it.

I couldn't get the fan blade nut to come lost, it may be a right hand thread, will have to do some research or just find a way to reassemble after I get a new sensor.

I'll get ordering it this week and will update the thread as I got along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_115033.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	356768   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_115127.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	356769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_114957.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	356770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_114927.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	356771  

Old 11-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
This Spring we are going to Indiana close to Ohio border. Tempted to get an appointment at JC to get this resolved.

The big issue is that if one is cooking and it shuts down, then the entire cabin gets full of moisture from cooking. The entire purpose of this fan is to get rid of cooking moisture and/or smoke. We have the ceiling fan to take care of this issue. But if it is raining that closes up as well.

In my mind this is no small issue.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
This Spring we are going to Indiana close to Ohio border. Tempted to get an appointment at JC to get this resolved.

The big issue is that if one is cooking and it shuts down, then the entire cabin gets full of moisture from cooking. The entire purpose of this fan is to get rid of cooking moisture and/or smoke. Unless the ceiling fan is working and it isn’t raining.

In my mind this is no small issue.
My understanding is JC is just cutting it out and bypassing it completely.....which overall should be ok, but I'd still rather have the original safety factor in place. I realize the temperature will be a lot higher, but I'd rather have a catastrophic event captured vs. not at all....
Old 11-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
I just ordered: 2MMT140-42

The T80 sets temperature cut off to around 176F +/- some value in Kelvin (in my case I'm seeing it cut off 30C below the 80C it supposed to cut off at). Think about that....if your boiling water, water boils at 212F, how could that T80 (176F) possibly be the right fit for this unit...makes no sense.

The part I order is set to 284F. That is the maximum I could find in the epoxy sleeved version that is there.

With the holiday I can't imagine I'll see if before early to mid next week.

Also note that these are rated for 3000 cycles, meaning, if it cuts out more than 3000 times.......um yeah no.....then the sensor needs to be replaced.

IMO, a very poor choice, but is what it is.....will update when the part comes in and installed.....and tested.

I've attached the PDF datasheet so people can see where all the references are coming from.

Happy holidays to all.
Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sensata-2mm-motor protector-datasheet.pdf (347.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-25-2019, 01:35 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Oregon City , Oregon
In looking at the data sheet it appears the intention of the thermal cutout is to protect the motor windings from overheating. Not protect the hood from a stovetop fire.

The Baraldi installation guide says that the hood is to be mounted a minimum of 30” above the cooking surface.

In our AS the hood is only 20” or so above the cooking surface.

As a result, the thermal cutout cannot function as intended by the manufacture.

Too much heat from the cooking surface overrides the thermal cutout and then you have other problems.

Yes, installing a thermal cutout with a higher trip value will allow more heat to pass through the fan assembly. But it alters and deviates from the intended purpose of the cutout.

The fan will continue to run but you are no longer protecting the motor windings from overheating.

Due to the liability, I would be highly surprised if Airstream recommended removing a safety device.

In my opinion, rather than replacing the thermal cutout with a different one of a higher trip value, because at that point you are no longer protecting the motor windings, and you are assuming responsibility anyway, why not just remove it and be done?

The minute you change or remove a safety device from what the manufacture specifies you are taking responsibility.

I removed our thermal cutout quite a while ago and don’t regret it. At least now we can brew a pot of coffee and the fan keeps running.

I applaud the tenacity of the folks here who want to solve the problem.
However, I believe the problem is not with the range hood but rather the installation.

Happy Thanksgiving,
2017 23D International Serenity
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3L
Meriwether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:30 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriwether View Post
In looking at the data sheet it appears the intention of the thermal cutout is to protect the motor windings from overheating. Not protect the hood from a stovetop fire.
I'm not entirely sure this is correct. When you see that the device isn't even attached to the motor itself, it is just "dangling" underneath the motor, it isn't watching the motor temperature, it is monitoring the fan tunnel temperature it is ejecting from the unit itself.

There is no thermal paste, glue or anything else tying the sensor to the motor directly to monitor winding/motor temperature. It is is just sitting there in free space held by a tie wrap around the motor assembly monitoring whatever the ambient temperature it sees. It then cuts off when it hits 80C, and in my case must LOWER than 80C....as I tracked it's cutoff to around 50C with a IR temperature sensor.

The fact it is 10" to low is really the core issue here, but there is no way to fix that, so the fact is....we must adjust the variables so it is closer to the intent.

In my case, yes I assume all responsibility.....as I want it to work correctly.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Oregon City , Oregon
Sensata Data Sheet

I will attach the Data Sheet for the Klixon 2MM Thermal Cutout.

It describes the purpose of this device as a "Thermal Motor Protector".

I have to admit, I originally thought this was suppose to shut off the fan in the event of a fire on the stovetop.

I'm not an Electrical Engineer, but based on the Data Sheet the Thermal Cutout monitors the amount of current being drawn by the motor and ambient temperature.

If there is a problem with the fan and too much current is being drawn, the additional resistance creates heat which will trip the Cutout.

In our situation I believe the Thermal Cutout is being affected by the heat from the cook top. That is just an assumption on my part.

However, if I'm correct a possible solution might be to move the Thermal Cutout to a different position in the range hood so that it's not so susceptible to the heat coming off of the cooktop. Perhaps it could be moved to the front of the hood near the switches.

The Data Sheet does list the mounting methods of either on the (motor) winding or by special means in the appliance, so moving the Cutout may be a solution.

Best wishes,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sensata_Technologies.pdf (1.18 MB, 30 views)
2017 23D International Serenity
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3L
Meriwether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #57
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Now I love my old fashioned 2004 stove hood exhaust fan - no problems for 16 year sorry to hear about the problems with the Baraldi Units. I was going to upgrade? but after reading this thread have changed my mind. Love this Forum...
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I've been reading this thread with great interest as I was considering "upgrading" my vent fan to the Baraldi.

It seems to me, if I am reading this right:

1) Airstream may not have followed the height requirements (no easy fix)

2) Thermal Cutout monitors the amount of current being drawn by the motor and ambient temperature

3) Moving, deleting or putting in a higher temp sensor will skew the stated and published design and operation

None of these are acceptable to me and I suspect, even though the fan looks really cool, the underlying problem is that someone in engineering many have missed this tidbit. Can anyone that has a MY2020 confirm that this is still an ongoing problem? I know the factory reads this forum (let alone rigs being brought to the factory service center) and I'd find it really worrisome that this issue is still ongoing with even new trailers leaving the factory.

**edit** just noticed this appears to have been going on since at least 2015 (start of this thread).

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider this a life safety issue (overall), but last thing I want to do is tear part a brand new exhaust fan to get it to work as advertised, sans it being installed at the incorrect height.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Almond , Wisconsin
I have a 2020 25' FBT Globetrotter which cuts out with only one burner on, while boiling water, so the whole idea that it's a three burner stove issue is moot. The problem is the install is not within the parameters of the manufacturer (IMO). I do not know what the fix should be now that AS did not install within height recommendations (my stove to fan distance is only 21". It is obvious that AS does not care! (HELLO!). My Globetrotter was manufactured late July 2019. Just for the record my AS has been used for about 6 days with the following issues: Fridge quit working day 2 ( wiring harness improperly installed (bare wires, insulation scraped upon install) fixed myself after 2 days of tearing apart, Demco hitch recalled (not within specs) mine ok, but had to install hitch lock and to take to dealer while on road, fan not working properly. Waiting for the next surprise! Sorry to rant, on but wanted to give my 2 cents worth. Thanks for this forum!
DavidKl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I think AS needs to make this right. Not sure how, but there is no reason for this issue. It is a flaw that should never have happened; not on a $100,000 unit. No excuses.

If they don't fix it I think it is time for all of us to bring force to bear against AS to solve the issue. When it isn't possible to run the fan while boiling water on the stove that is completely unacceptable.