Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Palos Verdes , California
Anyone have success in Airstream taking back a lemon?

Hello,
I have been unusually busy on the forum and appreciate everyone’s comments.
We just got off the phone with AirStream Orange County and was informed that they STILL cannot duplicate the problem.
My husband’s suspicion is that they are not trying to locate the problem but now are trying to cover themselves and say it was user errors.
Has anyone ever had Airstream replace a unit?
We are making payments on this unit and can’t use it.
We TRULY only desire a sound well made unit.
Suggestions?
Thank you!!!
BFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Call the factory
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Slim chance they will take back the unit but they will repair it as needed. Referring to the leak you posted earlier, ensure the condition that indicates a leak is duplicated. That is, water heater on (electric or propane or both), external power and external water hookup (if that's when it leaked).

Everything on the Airstream is repairable, including the shell itself. You shouldn't have to troubleshoot the problem for them, but my experience with cars and RV's over many years is sometimes that's what happens. Or you endlessly take it back and forth to the dealer until they stumble onto something.

This is a relatively new dealership (?), and perhaps the mechanics are still learning Airstreams. I'll bet the old timers could find it in a heartbeat, including many Airstreamers on this forum. And they may be able to walk you through troubleshooting on this forum, has happened many times.

Knowing it is disheartening to have this happen on a new unit, many go through it. Sometimes it takes some time and patience to get the bugs worked out, but with good owner maintenance, your Airstream can give years and years of faithful service.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like a good excuse to visit Jackson Center. Give them a call, politely discuss the issues you are having and make an appointment. The repair facility is staffed by very experienced techs with access to a huge data base of even more experience. I doubt that there are any problems that they have not seen and successfully repaired.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I would call the factory also but based on where you live, they may be able to offer you a suggestion as to a different dealership. Or it's not out of the question that Airstream might send someone out to your dealership to deal with this. I know that on extremely difficult situations they have sent service personnel to a dealership to help them. Last resort to me would be towing all the way from California to Jackson Center.

As noted stay calm on the phone call with them and make them very aware of the ongoing damage problems and that you bearing the expense of transporting the trailer back to Jackson Center is not a reasonable option. That's why they have "authorized" dealerships, and when that dealership cannot fix an issue, they need to step up to the plate and get someone to the dealership who can properly direct those local service folks.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Check the Lemon Law documentation that came with your trailer or look it up on the California state lemon law website. Some states treat trailers just like automobiles. Others don't.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sometimes the factory will refer you to a different dealer. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Fat chance they'll take it back, they will have it repaired for you.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
My first (2014) 25 FC was, in fact a lemon. The dealer could not fix our shower door leak and between them and Airstream, determined it was an issue that could not be repaired without basically rebuilding the shower. After 3 months and the possibility that an electrocution could occur with water running into converter, the dealer and airstream decided to give me a full refund on the trailer. The trailer also had 10 other (less critical) items that need to be repaired or replaced, as well. I might add that the leaking event that led to their decision to replace occurred on the dealers lot, right after they attempted to repair the leak for the third time. Once they saw the potential for serious injury, they didn't hesitate to make the replacement offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFamily View Post
Hello,
I have been unusually busy on the forum and appreciate everyone’s comments.
We just got off the phone with AirStream Orange County and was informed that they STILL cannot duplicate the problem.
My husband’s suspicion is that they are not trying to locate the problem but now are trying to cover themselves and say it was user errors.
Has anyone ever had Airstream replace a unit?
We are making payments on this unit and can’t use it.
We TRULY only desire a sound well made unit.
Suggestions?
Thank you!!!
I may have missed part of this...what are the issues?
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Dave this will catch you up. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ve-136512.html

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Good advice here, check the lemon laws in your state and talk to airstream and another dealer. Those and fix it yourself are your options. My 2014 Bambi has had lots of issues, though none as serious as yours. My dealer while having a well meaning salesperson has been no help, the tech is useless. The factory basically told me to take it to a different dealer. I've taken to fixing the issues myself. Not sure if you can do that but maybe your last resort. Good luck.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Have you personally contacted the factory? Give them a chance. Many times if one dealer is unable to solve a problem the factory will contact another and arrange for you to take it there. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Honestly, I would call them & let them know the problems you have been having & mention the advice you have received on airforms.com. The fact that all the Airstream owners who read the forum have now heard your ordeal may help.

Airstream Customer Support | Airstream
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Could someone explain the terms "rivet master", "supporting member", "2 rivets, "4 rivets", etc.Who assigns the terms and where does one do this? Are these people who have worked for AS or are mechanics, or some such? I am intrigued.
maryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryelia View Post
Could someone explain the terms "rivet master", "supporting member", "2 rivets, "4 rivets", etc.Who assigns the terms and where does one do this? Are these people who have worked for AS or are mechanics, or some such? I am intrigued.
Has nothing to do with any kind of mechanical or engineering expertise ,
The more ya log on here and type something , the higher the rating goes .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Post count.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Got it thanks! I will share with JC
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Since you are close, call Rod at C&G. Here is the link to his site. I have talked with him by phone but not yet been there in person. I found out about him through an independent repair guy in San Diego. I believe his father worked with Wally in the early years. He is also authorized to do warranty work. I am told that AS sends him jobs that the dealers can't seem to fix.
http://www.cgtrailer.com
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
We were just discussing whether our 2014 International is a lemon or now ... and then I see this thread.

Here is our story of fixes (not finished yet). We have taken the rig in 3 times for faulty tank sensors. This type is looks like it is fixed. yippee! We took it to the selling dealer (about 700 miles from home) for the recall because the notice said only the selling dealer could do the fix. At the same time, we reported that we had a spongy floor. It was determined that they would look at it from the bottom. It took several days because the water leak area had to dry before putting the bottom back on. It took basically a week (5 nights in the trailer and two hotel nights). Airstream agreed to compensate for the hotel.

On a Friday, end of day, we received the "fixed floor.". It was not a good enough job. The floor was now wavy and had up-and-down slopes. We rejected the job on the following Monday and by Tuesday had authorization from Airstream for the deal to open up the thing from the top and replace it. The deal was that it took had to be scheduled 6 days out and would take 5 days to fix. We thought that was pretty good and agreed. Through all of this, we have found dealers and Airstream to be courteous and providing great service and customer support.

So we camped in beautiful spots for the six days - gee we were traveling anyway and booked a 4-night trip using motels. We know motel is on us this time as we could have waited and had someone closer to home to the work. Now, on this 6 day trip prior to repair appt. we have discovered that water is leaking out the bottom of the wall where the shower is when one takes a shower. oh no! now what?! We took three showers on the consecutive days to test if we had not closed the door properly or some other such thing. Nope .... it keeps leaking.

Now tomorrow, we get to them about our newest water issue. Hopefully it can be addressed during the 5 days we are scheduled for.
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote