Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #1201

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
On this trip New Lucy has hit some pretty good bumps. We noticed during cleaning today that her big speaker mounted to the floor in rear street side corner had become detached from the floor. All of the little white plastic clips are broken.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #1202
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
subwoofer failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
On this trip New Lucy has hit some pretty good bumps. We noticed during cleaning today that her big speaker mounted to the floor in rear street side corner had become detached from the floor. All of the little white plastic clips are broken.

Brian
On our 2013 25FB, the subwoofer did not last 1,000 miles. Our failure was different, though: The screws pulled out of the body of the subwoofer. We had the Jackson Center put it back together. But we decided we don't really care for big thumping bass, so we removed it altogether, and use that space for storage.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #1203
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
ours has moved around as well. easy enough to put it back where it belongs.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #1204

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mosier , Oregon
86 pages of good info!

Greetings all,

I finally am up to date on this thread. We are picking up our 2015 Flying Cloud 25 FB at AANW on Wednesday. It was used a couple times and then tragically the previous owner developed a terrible disease. Just wanted to say thanks for all the contributors. I have pinpointed a few things I definitely want to look at during the 2 hour walk through (air conditioner vents and window seals mainly).

I am a bit surprised by the leaking issues. I had thought that this was practically impossible in these trailers. I know this is probably on a different thread but I'm sure you guys might be able to steer me quickly. What kind of hitch arrangements are good? I know camping world has a curt unit for $532 installed. AANW has a Blue Ox ( hope I got that right) for $1050 installed. I currently have a 2007 Jayco Seneca 34 SS that I am trading in so Wednesday will be interesting with the side by side downsizing move. Thanks again for the sewer solution tip. I picked one up at camping world today. There was a cool video online where a guy built a plexiglass pseudo black water tank and took it through a gauntlet of tests. That's it guys, keep on posting. This will be our 5th RV so not really a newbie but I am an airstream newbie
GorgeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #1205
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
I'd get a hitch setup from one of the Oregon Airstream dealers. They're both well thought of.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 PM   #1206

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mosier , Oregon
Thanks AP, that was my hunch but wanted to hear an experienced opinion.
GorgeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #1207

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
New Lucy is still experiencing some problems with holding onto her air conditioning vents during bumpy runs. SuEllyn has started putting small pieces of two-sided tape on three of the eight clips on the vent. None of the vents that she has done this to so far have fallen again.

Here is a picture of where she has placed the tape.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0794.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	246276  
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #1208
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
New Lucy is still experiencing some problems with holding onto her air conditioning vents during bumpy runs. SuEllyn has started putting small pieces of two-sided tape on three of the eight clips on the vent. None of the vents that she has done this to so far have fallen again.

Here is a picture of where she has placed the tape.

Brian
Brian- do you think this problem is just "retrofitting" the directional vent covers in 15' models or inherent on the design and affecting 16' models also? We are looking at a 16' model now...

(by the way, been in NorthWest MT now 2 weeks~ dismally smoky! Can't wait to head south to San Diego Monday; several camp sites we visited, Placid Lake, Sealy, Lake Inez, Holland Lake, had vacancies since reserved camp sites were vacated early; what a bad year up here.)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #1209
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Livingston Manor , New York
Wow, all up to date! I have been reading with great interest this thread off and on for the past couple of weeks and have finally reached the end (all 87! pages as of now) Like many others have said, thank you Brian for sharing your experiences and your "tweaks" to your airstream. As a certified RV and airstream noobie the information shared is truly invaluable.

So my wife and myself are looking to acquire our first airstream this winter/spring. We were looking at a new 23FB. My wife loves the International decor so we will probably spend the extra $$ and go that route but from what I understand, the layout is the same as the Flying Cloud.

My question to you, at the beginning of the thread you described about the 23FB floorplan not working for you and the main reason why you switched back to a 25FB.

Could you elaborate about what aspects made the floorplan less than ideal for you and your wife? Sarah and I are what you would call "front porch people" and I can see us sitting under the awning all the time, the reason I liked the 23FB was that the dinette windows overlook the "front porch" of the airstream. Also, from what I could gather, the interior of the 23 seems to be 6" narrower than the 25. Is this noticeable and was it a reason why you switched back to the 25?

Thanks again,
Errol
CampCatskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #1210

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampCatskill View Post
Wow, all up to date! I have been reading with great interest this thread off and on for the past couple of weeks and have finally reached the end (all 87! pages as of now) Like many others have said, thank you Brian for sharing your experiences and your "tweaks" to your airstream. As a certified RV and airstream noobie the information shared is truly invaluable.

So my wife and myself are looking to acquire our first airstream this winter/spring. We were looking at a new 23FB. My wife loves the International decor so we will probably spend the extra $$ and go that route but from what I understand, the layout is the same as the Flying Cloud.

My question to you, at the beginning of the thread you described about the 23FB floorplan not working for you and the main reason why you switched back to a 25FB.

Could you elaborate about what aspects made the floorplan less than ideal for you and your wife? Sarah and I are what you would call "front porch people" and I can see us sitting under the awning all the time, the reason I liked the 23FB was that the dinette windows overlook the "front porch" of the airstream. Also, from what I could gather, the interior of the 23 seems to be 6" narrower than the 25. Is this noticeable and was it a reason why you switched back to the 25?

Thanks again,
Errol
Hi Errol,

When we had Little Lucy (the 23FB) our main issue was the fact that you stepped out of the dinette into the aisle and kitchen. We found this situation a lot less usable that the 25FB. It just seemed like we were always in each other's way when trying to move around the living area.

There were several other minor issues. The one door 5 cubic foot refrigerator was not as convenient as the two door 7 cubic foot refrigerator in the 25.

The 6" narrower width of the 23FB made the foot of the bed space noticeably small/

The shower inside the bathroom was not as convenient as the across the hall shower in the 25.

We had had eight years in a 25FB, and we found the 23FB just not arranged right for us.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #1211
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Hi Errol,

When we had Little Lucy (the 23FB) our main issue was the fact that you stepped out of the dinette into the aisle and kitchen. We found this situation a lot less usable that the 25FB. It just seemed like we were always in each other's way when trying to move around the living area.

There were several other minor issues. The one door 5 cubic foot refrigerator was not as convenient as the two door 7 cubic foot refrigerator in the 25.

The 6" narrower width of the 23FB made the foot of the bed space noticeably small/

The shower inside the bathroom was not as convenient as the across the hall shower in the 25.

We had had eight years in a 25FB, and we found the 23FB just not arranged right for us.

Brian
Great thanks for the info! I was thinking the larger bathroom might be a plus but I can see your point and looking at the floorplans, there is a lot less space between the dinette and galley in the 23 than between the galley and lounge in the 25.

We are planning a day trip down to Colonial Airstream within the next few weeks so we can see in person but I think we might have no choice to go with the 23 because of our TV limitations.

One last quick question, sorry I dont mean to hijack anything but would you notice those differences if you started out with the 23 and moved up to the 25? I can imagine once you are used to a layout and have everything dialed in, that it could be a tough transition to a smaller platform.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #1212

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Great thanks for the info! I was thinking the larger bathroom might be a plus but I can see your point and looking at the floorplans, there is a lot less space between the dinette and galley in the 23 than between the galley and lounge in the 25.

We are planning a day trip down to Colonial Airstream within the next few weeks so we can see in person but I think we might have no choice to go with the 23 because of our TV limitations.

One last quick question, sorry I dont mean to hijack anything but would you notice those differences if you started out with the 23 and moved up to the 25? I can imagine once you are used to a layout and have everything dialed in, that it could be a tough transition to a smaller platform.

That's a good question, Errol. It is difficult to answer since I downsized to get into a 23FB. Maybe if I had started with the 23, I would have gotten used to it.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-29-2015, 04:06 AM   #1213
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
That's a good question, Errol. It is difficult to answer since I downsized to get into a 23FB. Maybe if I had started with the 23, I would have gotten used to it.

Brian
Thanks, I guess I will just have to compare floorplans when we go to look in person.

Ultimately, it will probably be my wife's choice, I will have some input but the final decision will most likely be hers haha. As the saying goes, happy wife...
Old 08-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #1214
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:

Thanks again,
Errol
I really like the international but the upper cabinets in the flying cloud are much more useable. There are more and access is easier. Keep that in mind.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #1215

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I agree about the upper cabinets. I much prefer the lift door cabinets in the Flying Cloud over the fiberglass sliding doors in the International and Classic. I would go so far as to pay extra for the Flying Cloud style upper cabinets.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #1216
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I really like the international but the upper cabinets in the flying cloud are much more useable. There are more and access is easier. Keep that in mind.
Hey Scott, thanks for pointing that out. I will let her know when we make our trip down, I am sure we will check out some flying cloud models and while we are there, heck, we may even tour a land yacht for hahas if they have one!

I am more practical and I can see the easier access with the cabinets on the flying cloud but if my wife likes the international, I am sure she will be happy to live with the inconvenience
Old 08-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #1217
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The International trim line roof locker cabinets all have a rounded front edge inside that mirrors the radius on the outside. So the floor level of the cabinet has less storage area than the space a few inches higher. Creative loading is required to fully utilize the space in the radius area.

Sometimes the sliding cabinet doors are found resting on the floor or bed if the roads are less than smooth. That lumpy road condition seems to fit an ever increasing percentage of the roads today.

We found that there was a lot more storage capacity in the International roof locker cabinets than in our 2014 Classic, but that was compensated for by the 2014 Classic model 30 having many more roof lockers.

If one thinks outside the box, one can remake the drawers under the dinette seating in to ones that are both deeper and longer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #1218
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Hey Scott, thanks for pointing that out. I will let her know when we make our trip down, I am sure we will check out some flying cloud models and while we are there, heck, we may even tour a land yacht for hahas if they have one!

I am more practical and I can see the easier access with the cabinets on the flying cloud but if my wife likes the international, I am sure she will be happy to live with the inconvenience
Agree; FC cabinets are much more accessible when door is open vs sliding a door half open as in the International. You can easily see and get to everything when loading or unloading when the door is open. You can always add Corian countertops if you like that touch. In the end, it will most certainly come down to what the wife likes!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #1219
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
I agree about the upper cabinets. I much prefer the lift door cabinets in the Flying Cloud over the fiberglass sliding doors in the International and Classic. I would go so far as to pay extra for the Flying Cloud style upper cabinets.

Brian
The Classic overhead cabinets have lift up solid Cherry wood doors, not fiberglass sliders. We find the interior space to be large enough. I cannot image that the Flying Cloud cabinets are any larger inside.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #1220
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
when we bought our 25FB, we looked at all of the flavors on the lot. the more expensive iterations all seemed to have 'designer' interiors that were highlighting various color combinations, all of them sort of dark. black cabinets with back lite sliding doors, counter tops of dark material, and so on, and while they looked pretty good sitting on the lot, our experience is unless the interior is light and bright, it will become depressing on those gloomy rainy days we all encounter.

so we opted for the light wood work, floors and ultra leather treatments. this is the only RV we have ever owned that does not feel like you are entering a cave. we could not be happier with our choice, hope you are as well.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote