Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #821
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
inverter in 2015 fc 25

We just took delivery of our first airstream after many years of class A motorhomes. We have rear bed model.
Inverter function is a single ON/OFF button just below the battery/tank monitor in galley.
With inverter on and NO LOADS the inverter uses nearly 2 amps continuously. That would be approx 48 amp/he's from the meager battery bank. You will need to get used to turning the inverter off when finished with use.
Our new unit has a 1300 Watt microwave, so no good with this inverter.
For the price of these Airstreams you would expect a little better quality inverter like a Magnum Energy which has a search function and uses only a couple of milliamps while in search.
Our only issue is a bit much tongue weight. AS could provide an outside vented compartment under the rear bed and move batteries front to back.
Overall all works well, tows great.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #822

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
We just took delivery of our first airstream after many years of class A motorhomes. We have rear bed model.
Inverter function is a single ON/OFF button just below the battery/tank monitor in galley.
With inverter on and NO LOADS the inverter uses nearly 2 amps continuously. That would be approx 48 amp/he's from the meager battery bank. You will need to get used to turning the inverter off when finished with use.
Our new unit has a 1300 Watt microwave, so no good with this inverter.
For the price of these Airstreams you would expect a little better quality inverter like a Magnum Energy which has a search function and uses only a couple of milliamps while in search.
Our only issue is a bit much tongue weight. AS could provide an outside vented compartment under the rear bed and move batteries front to back.
Overall all works well, tows great.

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby. May you have many great Airstream adventures together.

Airstream does lag behind in some areas, but, all in all, it's the best thing out there. We have had three Airstreams and have used them extensively (1,500 nights/140,000 miles). Each time we have replaced our Airstream, we have done extensive research and soul searching. We considered all types of RV and all brands. Each time we ended up back where we started and get another Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #823
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I've followed your threads closely and thought it would be nice to meet you. I guess we'll wave as we fly over . (Quote from Marter)

We usually come through Lincoln on our western trips. We always do a trip thread with daily posts and pictures. If you follow the thread, you will see us coming through Lincoln. Hopefully, you will be there when we come through. We would also like to meet.

Lucy's western trip this year will probably start around second week in July.

Brian
We will absolutely look forward to this. We're retiring this month, just bought our tow vehicle (F-150 Ecoboost) and are zeroing in on a FC 25FB twin. My time frame is around mid-summer for purchase of the AS, but my wife is more on the late summer/early fall time frame. I'm saying why wait ;-).
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #824
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We REALLY like the new "gourmet kitchen" after market option upgrade with the 25' FB Twin, with "ducted air"! (why AS doesn't offer more options from factory like this??) Likely go that rout at some point with 2016' model (or later?)... dealer I spoke with started out with "it's only $5K more for ducted air and $15K more for Gourmet Kitchen option!" After I finally caught my breath, it was only $7K more for the kitchen....if you ordered now...I'm REALLY impressed with the kitchen utility and storage space it appears to bring...a bar, kitchen counter space, all the drawers. The factory standard lounge is a waste of space for us. We rarely use it and really, don't have 3 extra folks staying with us...have a tent if needed for more sleeping! (and it stores up front in outside storage, with 4 folding chairs, a table, and screened in room/tent!) love the AS!
Where is this available?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #825
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by marter View Post
Where is this available?
Never mind...found it. Airstream Adventures Northwest
Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #826

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
We will absolutely look forward to this. We're retiring this month, just bought our tow vehicle (F-150 Ecoboost) and are zeroing in on a FC 25FB twin. My time frame is around mid-summer for purchase of the AS, but my wife is more on the late summer/early fall time frame. I'm saying why wait ;-).

Hopefully, we will get through Lincoln at a time when you are available. If you would care to look at Lucy's trip thread from last summer. Here is a link to it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...light=lucy%27s

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #827
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Hopefully, we will get through Lincoln at a time when you are available. If you would care to look at Lucy's trip thread from last summer. Here is a link to it.

Brian
Heck Moostags, I was getting excited that you folks might be coming through Lincoln and we could also meet! We have a cabin just outside Lincoln on the Blackfoot, and we spend mid June through Sept. there each year as home base while we AS around North Western states...wrong Lincoln, however...Lincoln MT! Maybe next year!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #828

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Heck Moostags, I was getting excited that you folks might be coming through Lincoln and we could also meet! We have a cabin just outside Lincoln on the Blackfoot, and we spend mid June through Sept. there each year as home base while we AS around North Western states...wrong Lincoln, however...Lincoln MT! Maybe next year!

Never tell, we may get through that Lincoln too. That is the most scenic route between Great Falls and Missoula.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #829
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:

Brian
Great binge read; I had seen quotes from that thread but hadn't read a lot of it. Great trip, great read. I can't believe anyone would complain about you using too much bandwidth. LOL.

Your story and others on here are helping us define and realize our retirement dream. We're both retiring in mid-April, we've purchased a tow vehicle (2015 F-150 SuperCrew Eco-boost) and are planning on purchasing a 25' FC FB twin this summer. We're right in the middle of the country and it seems like a great place to base from.

Our brains are having trouble spending this kind of money when our paychecks are stopping and also thinking we can adjust to the kind of lifestyle you're living. Based on your daily entries, it becomes more doable in our minds.

Thanks, and safe travels.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #830

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Great binge read; I had seen quotes from that thread but hadn't read a lot of it. Great trip, great read. I can't believe anyone would complain about you using too much bandwidth. LOL.

Your story and others on here are helping us define and realize our retirement dream. We're both retiring in mid-April, we've purchased a tow vehicle (2015 F-150 SuperCrew Eco-boost) and are planning on purchasing a 25' FC FB twin this summer. We're right in the middle of the country and it seems like a great place to base from.

Our brains are having trouble spending this kind of money when our paychecks are stopping and also thinking we can adjust to the kind of lifestyle you're living. Based on your daily entries, it becomes more doable in our minds.

Thanks, and safe travels.
I know that it's a lot of money for a new Airstream, but it sure ia a lot of fun. Over the last nine years we have spent 47% of our nights in the Airstream, and it has been the experience of a lifetime. We can not think of a better way to spend our retirement.

I like to use a quote that I saw here on the Forums a while back. "Take the experiences over material things. Those are the things that you'll be taking with you at the end."

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #831
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting list on the custom kitchen coming out of airstream nw. I did not know that option was available.
We purchased our 28' from Airstream NW in Seattle last spring and have been very happy with the trailer. Have used it on two extended trips (2months each) and have found this floorplan to our liking and very comfortable for extended trips.

Great thread and wonderful reading

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #832

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Those are some really nice custom appointments. I looked at both the kitchen and the office upgrade on line. They have some impressive modification ideas to consider.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #833

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We are now starting to get Lucy ready for her first serious adventure. In about two weeks we will head out to Maine. On the way the way there and back we plan to do a lot of exploring. We will stay gone until late June.

One of our stops on the way to Maine will be at the Airstream Service Center at the Factory in Jackson Center, Ohio. We have an appointment for April 28th. The Service Center asked that we send an email outlining the work that we want done as it would streamline the check-in process and facilitate the work.

One of the things that we are having done to New Lucy is getting her a rear window Zip Dee Awning with a custom Sunbrella Fabric. We ordered this a month ago so that it would be ready when Lucy got there. We are also getting Lucy a set of the new directional air conditioner vents.

The other items on our list are warranty repairs and adjustments. We have now been using Lucy for six months (60 nights/5,000 miles), and feel that we have now identified all of the initial issues.

Here is a copy of the punch list that I have emailed to The Service Center.

"I am getting back to you regarding our appointment at the Service Center on Tuesday, April 28, 2015. Our Airstream is a 2015 FC 25FB (1STJ9YJ20FJ531020). We took delivery of her new on October 2, 2014 at Dixie Airstream in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. This is our third Airstream and we have been to the Service Center several times in the past.

We had previously ordered a Custom rear awning (over the license plate) with Zip Dee Sunbrella color 4900 (Captain Navy/Yellow/Green) to be installed at the Service Center.

We would also like to get a set of the new directional/closable air conditioning ceiling vents and we would like these installed at the Service Center.

The Following is a list of warranty items that we would like to have addressed at the Service Center:

1. The air conditioning ceiling vents do not blow any air at all on the set in the front street side. The rear street side and the front curb side sets blow some air but minimal. The ceiling vent set on the rear curbside blow so hard that they will blow you out of the seat on the curb side of the dinette. It seems that something is blocking the air flow causing this situation.

2. We have had some rain leaks through various seams in the ceiling in the rear of the Airstream. We can point these out to the technician when we get to the Service Center. We have detailed notes as to the locations of the water intrusion. This leaking situation has occurred twice. Both times was while we were underway at highway speeds in a pouring rain. These leaks continued to seep for several hours after the trailer was stationary.

3. We are having some difficulty getting the 30 amp cord collar to screw onto the hook-ups on the trailer. We have this problem with both the front and street side connectors. This is our third Airstream and we have not had this problem before.

4. There is a recall to check the wire connections to the 30 amp hook-ups.

5. There is a recall to change the fasteners on the LP tank mounting plate.

6.The overhead cabinet in the rear street side above the dinette has a hinge that is scraping when the cabinet is closed.

7. The right rear stabilizer rod is bent.

8. The room divider curtain next to the pantry does not line up properly. The bottom of it sticks out several inches while it is secured with the strap.

9. There are squeaks and creeks in the belly pan when walking through the trailer. This is more prevalent when the stabilizers are down. The floor also creeks in the bathroom but not from the belly pan.

10. The windows tend to stick to the rubber molding. In a couple of places, the sticking has ripped the rubber molding apart.

11.The exterior aluminum grab handle next to the door is showing filiform corrosion.

12. There is a stripped screw in the lavatory exhaust fan.

13. The stainless steel panel on the lower refrigerator door is cut too narrow and pops out on one side.

14. The Fantastic fans don't want to start even if they are slightly damp like from the morning dew. I assume that it is the rain sensor causing this. When it's dry, they run fine. My prior Airstreams had Fantastic Fans that had a rain sensor disabling switch; these ones do not.

We plan to arrive at the Terra Port on Monday, April 27, 2015 in time to check in at the Service Center. We will camp at the Terra Port. Our Airstream is equipped with a Hensley hitch system."

We are really looking forward to getting out there with New Lucy.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-05-2015, 03:16 PM   #834
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Very good. I'm sure the factory will appreciate the info listed in such a concise way. Has to help a lot. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #835
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Wow. With lists of these issues from a last-year build, knowing that the factory just hired more people to put together airstreams in the newly expanded factory makes me wonder if forthcoming units may be especially buggy?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #836

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Wow. With lists of these issues from a last-year build, knowing that the factory just hired more people to put together airstreams in the newly expanded factory makes me wonder if forthcoming units may be especially buggy?
We have had two other Airstream. One of them we bought new in 2005. This punch list is mostly minor and probably about average.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #837
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
We just signed the order for our first AS. It's a Flying Cloud 25 FB (Twins) with awnings package, inverter and replacement of propane stove with convection microwave. Reading this thread helped us a great deal in arriving at the choice of model. Thank you all for your helpful comments.

BTW ... It's a 2016 model and no one in the dealers can say what will be changed for 2016. All the options incl decor listed on the order sheet were the same as 2015 so I'm not expecting red and white checkered floor tile.

Gary
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #838

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnijman View Post
We just signed the order for our first AS. It's a Flying Cloud 25 FB (Twins) with awnings package, inverter and replacement of propane stove with convection microwave. Reading this thread helped us a great deal in arriving at the choice of model. Thank you all for your helpful comments.

BTW ... It's a 2016 model and no one in the dealers can say what will be changed for 2016. All the options incl decor listed on the order sheet were the same as 2015 so I'm not expecting red and white checkered floor tile.

Gary

Congratulations on your Airstream decision. I know that it's tough trying to make the right choice.

The 2016 probably won't have many changes. Hopefully, the directional air conditioning vents will be included on the 2016.

Keep us posted on the progress of your order.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #839
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Congratulations on your Airstream decision. I know that it's tough trying to make the right choice.

The 2016 probably won't have many changes. Hopefully, the directional air conditioning vents will be included on the 2016.

Keep us posted on the progress of your order.

Brian
Has anyone heard about the directional vent covers being standard equipment on 2016 and also confirmation on weather they got rid of the front/rear humps for the air on top? Any additional upgrades?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #840
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Findlay , OH
Our unit began production March 26 (2015 model). Saw it in person and directional vents were in place! We were told they made the transition on the vents recently. Cannot speak to whether the hump will disappear with the new model year.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
PurdueMom is offline   Reply With Quote